Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ya i could never get into nioh... Its fine I guess but they should have leaned more into Ninja Gaiden and less into Dark Souls. Its UI design is also awful.

I dont really give a poo poo about wo long for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Does anyone play guild wars 2 i always heard that was good, does it still have an active community?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Ciaphas posted:

if it's any help you only gotta get phase 2 to half hp to get a win by cutscene

also i'm told he's just a weirdass difficulty spike compared to later levels - i only have the boss from the second stage to go by but I thought that one was much easier

A couple reviews were specifically calling this out as well, like the next half dozen or more bosses are significantly easier (apparently)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The Forest was good but once you got over the fear of the cannibals and caves it kinda lost its charm. Definitely worth a play through.

Sons looks really good but i think I'll wait till out of early access.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its bad

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Early access is fine in general but lol if you actually buy into it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/7_Days_to_Die/

I've had this game on my wishlist for idk how many years. By all accounts its a good game (i wouldnt know), but its been in EA for 10 years. Lmao

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Speaking of zombies i finally played RE3 remake. It really let me down at first in the city section and I almost uninstalled it then took over Carlos and :allears:

I don't remember the original RE3 having this many pacing issues, crazy how much it got watered down (granted i hadn't played the original in 20+ years). Overall pretty fun game despite its flaws, definitely the weakest of the newer ones. Can't wait for 4 :dance:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
man I tried to play Nioh 2 again and it really is just idiot sibling to From's formula. I normally have a lot of patience for souls-likes but idk the Nioh formula just doesn't do it for me. The sound design, ux, having to ki pulse every two seconds, the deluge of loot, the unsatisfying animations / combat, high TTK on even basic enemies...

so i installed sekiro and am playing through it again and, yup kicks rear end.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

you know what is bad? humble bundles ux

why is it so hard to show a screen shot hb

Is / was that place a scam or why have i not heard about that place in what feels like a decade, lord knows i haven't been there in nearly as many years. Seems pike they dropped off thw map but maybe its a me thing?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they got bought by ign, lol

Lol there it is

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

i still maintain that gamep rear end is a bad development for the market

:yossame:

Elder Postsman posted:

epic has the weekly free games. i have 41 games on there and the only one i've paid for is the goose game

ya but then you gotta admit you use epic :whitewater:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Just play sekiro op i did and am instantly having fun.

Also while im obviously rusty it feels good making GBS threads on these mini bosses when i distinctly remember having to skip several of them first go around for a while

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't rule out that this could be true, but not like i am such a friend of the market as it exists that this is an obviously bad thing. historically i've been a fan of steam, but tbh it could take a lot of shaking up at this rate, as its current moderation strategy is pretty bad and the overall experience is either static or in decline.

I don't really know what context "moderation strategy" means but valve / steam have been killing it lately with proton and steam deck not sure how you're saying they're in decline with the platform

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, comparing the steam deck to game pass is not the most obvious axis to judge things on. proton is also cool, but it is hardly the focus of the service.

steam is packed to the gills with absolute garbage content, the content offered is largely undiscoverable, and the community features like tags, reviews and curators is mostly meme/bot junk. the store experience getting steadily worse, the client has not otherwise changed in a helpful way in many years (the new chat still being glitchy, and arguably worse than the last). all this in context of them taking a larger cut than their competitors, turning immense profits on a hands-off self-publishing jungle.

even if one argues about all those points though, it is again unclear what "worse for the market" means (and whether it is desirable or not) but steam being the only store that matters is surely not "good for the market" (whether that is desirable or not).

i still buy most of my games on steam and use it daily, but i wont agree that valve is doing a bang-up job here.

I guess i disagree heavily on all those points? Have you tried to use the microsoft app store? PlayStation store? Nintendo shop? They're all significantly harder to find and browse good games or games outside whatever predefined category they picked (nintendo is really bad about this). Steam is basically the only gaming storefront where i can organically find new games that interest me and are good. Ive picked up at least a half dozen smaller games this year just by browsing tags or my recommendations, most were right on the money.

Sure there is a lot of shovelware and it could be improved but, in my experience they do a good job hiding it or giving you the tools to ignore it. Definitely in the greenlight era the shovelware was out of control and in your face but they've since appeared to have figured out how to hide it, at least for me.

I hate browsing the PlayStation store or Nintendo store, they're completely worthless and only for going in knowing what you want already.

Edit: GoG has a good store too but it helps they have a specific focus

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i bought it a couple years ago on switch and forgot about it till u said that i should play it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there a better or even comparable storefront?

circling back to the original comment that game pee rear end is "bad for the market overall", i agreed with that because Microsoft is poo poo and having them own every developer AND producer AND storefront AND platform is gonna stagnate the quality of games. That wasn't a comment (in my head) about the store front or storefronts at all but maybe thats just how i view it and not the ops intention :shrug:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Ugh, Denuvo? Hopefully it'll play nice with Proton in spite of that, all the recent RE games I've tried thusfar seem to work okay

they were dog poo poo for a while after the re2 remake but since its all probably that same engine it might be ok?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Radio Paranoia posted:

i won't stop until i've ignored almost every game

drat i got rookie numbers, a thousand

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

jesus WEP posted:

i’ve been taking piano lessons for about 7 or 8 months and it’s very good to step away from stem bullshit for sure. i paint minis sometimes too but i find it harder to get started with that, piano i can just sit down and noodle for 5 minutes

same thats why i play video games

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
c sekiro s: man those ninja mini-bosses are still loving assholes

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
c sekiro s: these mummy rifle bosses are still a couple of stinkers

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Just found out about Hyper Light Breaker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCQb-m0RaG0

Which seems like some kind of roguelike mashup of the amazing Hyper Light Drifter and Solar Ash (both of which are on sale!). I love this developer so much this game looks cool as heck

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

quiggy posted:

HLD is one of my favorite games ever made but ngl when i saw the "infinite open worlds!" thing in the HLB trailer it killed like 99% of my interest in it

also their art style works way better in 2D than 3D

you can skateboard

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
did y'all never play dead cells or risk of rain?

E: or no man sky

I agree at first glance thats normally a turn off but they're one of the few developers where they can say something like that and i might be all about it and it does look really loving good. I dont know anything about the title so we'll wait and see i guess, didnt even realize it was coop.

I think the art style and proc gen worlds look incredible in that trailer but who knows in release

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 17, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SmokaDustbowl posted:

how the gently caress is diablo 4 $90

Gotta pay off all the sexual harassment charges somehow

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
c sekiro s: pooped all over genichiro, was expecting him to be an rear end in a top hat but i still got it :whatup:

he absolutely wrecked me for the longest time first time through but he also forced me to learn how to play the game

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

the combat in Hades was fairly fast and twitchy yeah. it felt like i'm button mashing but if i stopped paying attention i'd die pretty quickly so i guess there's some art to it.

slowdown wise i didn't really see any until i got to the final boss who is a massive difficulty spike. but then switching the game from vulkan to d3d made the slowdowns go away and i beat the final boss pretty soon after doing that. the devs talked a lot about how they made the final boss a mashup of various other bosses and enemies' distinctive attacks to try and give you a chance to practice dealing with the moveset without having to slog all the way to the end before you could start to learn the fight effectively, but the difficulty spike was still kind of annoying in the sense that if you don't have at least 50% of your entire run's health+rez budget left going into it then you may as well just reset the run right there because it's simply not going to happen. loving delayed windup and slow crawling screen-wide explosion bullshit.

there are some really fun and challenging boss fights in fromsoft games that feel great because they're almost dance-like, they have tempo and momentum to them and both combatants will react to each other, creating and exploiting openings. champ gundyr, gael, sword saint, malenia (minus her stupid super-move). i didn't get that from any of the fights in hades, they just feel like a scrappy mess where there's a bunch of poo poo coming at you from all directions all the time. it's probably just a legitimately different style of gameplay with a different sort of appeal but it doesn't appeal to me.

u just described every encounter in sekiro, from softwares best game

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i dont think anything will top the first time you face / beat sword saint, its like the absolute best way to end a game, 12/10 climax

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
the same company renowned for making halo and the tight halo shooting mechanics, made a new ip with identically excellent gun play :aaaaa:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shaggar posted:

halo was very bad and not what i would call tight at all

:chloe:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Dijkstracula posted:

Both Dishonoreds and Prey are available in a Playstation Store bundle for $25-ish and I just picked them up; I love some immersive sims but never got to any of these so I'm excited

They're very good, Dishonoreds DLC is good and will explain nuance of dishonored 2 but not required (to play 2). Dishonored 2s DLC was also v good but kind of a standalone thing

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Prey 2007 or w/e is surprisingly good, dunno what happened to it on steam

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The right way to play dishonored is:

Do you wanna use cool powers? Kill to your hearts content gently caress it

Do you wanna play thief in 2023? No powers and no killing

Its really good to treat it like thief actually and use bottles and poo poo as distractions and no powers, theres specific achievements for playing it this way too

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 19, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Dijkstracula posted:

dang this is a bummer, I was saving it for whenever I finally upgrade to a nextcurrent-gen console

Its really good actually, ymmv

Seems like if you played the mooncrash dlc you might be less impressed but if you didnt you love it

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 19, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
c sekiro s: going for shura ending this time and jfc emma "the gentle blade" does not gently caress around *gets suplexed*

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ya they tried to turn a 5? Hour section from the og into a 40 hour game it turns into a slog

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Since we're ragging on FF7 i thought the combat was poo poo too, ff15 was pretty fun (combat) though shame about the back half of it

Heres hoping they dont gently caress up 16 (they will, given their track record lately and nft obsessions)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What the hell, how did so many people die to the tree.

This is cool where'd you source it?

Also if by tree you mean the tree sentinal and thats the knight at the very beginning of the game, probably caught lots of new players and veteran thinking they were hot poo poo.

Edit: wait was limgrave the beginning area or central area i forget

Kinda surprised black blade and/or mohg arent up there they both gave me more trouble than any of the listed ones (pre nerf radhan was a motherfucker though, easily the worst)

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 20, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
A lot of the older FF games are like 80+ hour games its hard to justify that kinda time commitment on a JRPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sweevo posted:

don't name your kids after anime characters
don't name your kids after people from TV shows
don't give your kids normal names spelled in dumb ways

you're not being cute by calling your kid Khristophyr, you're making their life hell

Wew almost thought i would be embarrassed naming my kid "Demons Souls Crow" but video games are off the list.

c sekiro s: got the shura ending, loving hell that was rough. Feel like missing out on the whole last zone or two and a few extra bosses really hampers your skill flexibility making this ending on NG a doozy. Might have been easier if i focused on one or two skill trees but i was kind of being add and went for living force first which is... Kind of garbage tbh