Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pile Of Garbage posted:

just beat Elden Ring in NG++ to get the final ending cheevo, don't think i've ever deliberately 100% the cheevos for a game on Steam before lol: https://steamcommunity.com/id/garbagedotnet/stats/appid/1245620/achievements

looking forward to the DLC. might also peep Sekiro that looks cool

if you never played sekiro def check it out its arguably their best game.

be prepared to get wrecked though its also objectively the hardest

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the only other one i played was dark souls 1 which i bounced-off due to the whole tedious nature of the game (i don't mind the difficulty but having to walk >10 minutes to retry a boss is some dumb bullshit). i'd love to play Bloodborne but alas i don't have a console so Sekiro is my next best bet.

check out Dark Souls 3, you dont really need to play any of the others and its definitely the "tightest" of the trilogy (much more similar to the elden ring experience), its my personal favorite but opinions vary wildly on the trilogy.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
ngl im really excited about cs 2, havemt played cs in prolly 10-15 years but every other competitive shooter is a dog turd lately.

also the finals the beta has been fun, though i wish anyone i knew was in it

i was one of the few brain damaged people actually enjoying bf2042 at launch but im just so sick of it now, they've ruined that franchise for me

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
they killed tf2 with hats

though tbf tf classic was always significantly better

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shaggar posted:

deadgame BF2042 keeps trying to trick players into trying it by claiming they're fixing it to be more like an actual BF game but it still has characters and still doesnt have dedicated servers

despite the moment to moment on-foot gunplay being really good i have slowly grown weary of it and the fact they have slowly ruined the BF identity.

where is the loving destruction?

why is the vehicle balance complete and utter dog poo poo?

WHY DOES THE GOD drat BF GAME HAVE 2 TANKS ON A 128 PLAYER MAP

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
they clearly saw cod and everyone doing 128 player big #s maps and were like "oh poo poo we need to do this" and worked backwards from there

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shaggar posted:

they litterrally hired a COD guy to turn BF into COD with the ultimate goal of creating a live services microtransaction franchise and they totally failed

did they lol, that explains a lot

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AnimeIsTrash posted:

although the new square enix style (octopath, triangle strategy, etc) is getting to be a little grating now

Actually its still really good

If we're talking about indie game art style and you dont like pixel art (u weirdo) its hard to do better than solar ash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msCeiD4t-Ms

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

Returnal has a sick aesthetic that is similar to Control's in a lot of ways, and the gameplay is pretty good too, if you can tolerate rougelite gameplay anyway. Lots of high-speed hit-and-run movement, particularly after you unlock the hookshot and the real shitkicker enemies start showing up. I managed to clear it in 30 hours but I seem to be pretty bad because a more typical time is maybe half that. After that there's some endless side-area they patched in later on which I haven't really felt like checking out in depth but it does have some gameplay tweaks that encourage even more aggressive gameplay.

I wouldn't recommend it for the story though. There is never any sort of resolution to the plot or even any real explanation of just what exactly is going on, and while there is a credit roll at the end of the final area the ride is, of course, never allowed to actually end. That's probably my least favorite part of the roguelite formula. The fact that your character's entire motivation is to escape their predicament whereas it is game-mechanically inevitable that they never actually succeed.

Its been a while since ive finished the story but isn't it revealed its basically all in her head and about her guilt over killing her son and losing her mother as she dies after the car crash? Its like her last moments, and in them reliving and tormenting her from guilt. thats what i got out of it anyway. I think there are some pretty consistent themes and plot points and how you specifically tie them all together is open for interpretation, i thought it was a cool way to do a roguelike personally and fits within the scope of the game (gameplay being open ended, what you make of it).

Not every story has to have a clear ending imo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

quiggy posted:

yeah my d4 stance is that i would love to try it but also blizzard bad and im not willing to give them my time or money until im convinced theyve made actual changes

:same:

I never got into D2, loved D3, tried remake and quickly got bored, everything is the same endless crypt

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
APM!!!!!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Anyone play quantum break? I started this and its really obvious the progression from that game to Control, its gameplay is kinda fun but its kinda clunky and im just wondering if i should skip it and play control again

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shaggar posted:

as a game its eehhhhh, but i liked the story a bunch so i finished it.

I bought it on steam sale long after it came out and had no idea about the tv show part so it confused the hell out of me when it started.

theres a tv show wtf lol, maybe this is why i have no idea what is happening im kind of rolling with it

was this some ARG game trying to break new ground they didn't explain this in the game very well

Guess it explains why every new character im like "oh poo poo its that person irl!!"

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Casual Encountess posted:

ever since yall posted about cs2 i hopped right back into csgo after a few years off. i just started playing shooting games again in 2020 and it annoys the gently caress out of me that everything is hero based. like i thought id really like rainbow 6 siege when i heard about it but it felt loving awful to play so im giggling that im back playing a dinosaur of a game.

anyways csgo is good+tight and im bad but its really nice to play a "simple" game

:hellyeah:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Incredible

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
https://store.steampowered.com/app/562860/Ion_Fury/

Ion Fury is a really good take on the boomer shooter, highly recommend. Its actually insane how good a throwback this is and the PCs one liners are :discourse:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i bought it idk how long ago on sale and finally got around to playing, had no idea about the drama. pirate it or dont idc but its fun for what it is.

for what its worth i haven't really noticed it being "full of homophobia and transphobia" but im also not really paying attention and just running and gunning, its basically all 80s n 90s movie and song references references that ive noticed and cheesy one liners ala shadow warrior and duke

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Sifu is on steam and I bought it, and I'm really excited to play it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FQ1YO3Ks2U

been wanting to play this, is it actually hard or just hard to master?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Obra Dinn is extremely good

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

DIVE DIVE DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Dredge is an extremely chill and good Lovecraftian fishing simulator

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
is that game standalone or what it looks very goofy

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Endless Mike posted:

rolled credits in Dredge today. fun game

same, did a good job of not overstaying its welcome imo

if you like dredge checkout sunless skies if you havent, its a similar (but not identical) vibe. except you steer a train. in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zbr9CE_0CM

it has combat and leans more into narrative and eldritch horrors but can also be pretty chill.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 10, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
video games are for children and boy am i a child

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

KidDynamite posted:

want a good satan simulator game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgdBDxIAAgY

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Ciaphas posted:

i'm trying very hard to not look at trailers or read anything about new zolda game, personally. more fun that way in the long run

:yossame:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I think skyward sword and the DS ones are the only ones i missed, all excellent

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I need to replay wind waker

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
finally got yuzu working so i can play through master mode with the stupid health regen disabled. still cant believe anyone thought that was a good idea, its not hard just tedious and removes all the emergent gameplay from the game.

found a boulder to push into bombs among a group of enemies? dont waste your time cause theyll be at full health by the time you chase the boulder down there. just a profoundly idiotic design decision

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Its very good, probably holds up really well cause cel shading is timeless when done well

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

psiox posted:

good lord, nividia gpus are still hella expensive

top-end amd cards seem (relatively) reasonable by comparison; are there any major hurdles to actually using them these days? i know DLSS is out (but there's FSR where supported), presumably no raytracing, hrm. I just need more vram for textures in VR :(

AMD is better value, DLSS is objectively better looking but only if you squint real hard at unfocused parts of the screen or run performance mode on fsr. They perform identically. If you want ray tracing AMD is basically a generation behind, but ray tracing is still a gimmick so who cares.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
lots of good games to feel on the switch :cheers:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

haveblue posted:

yes. and now the FW DLC is releasing very shortly before TOTK

wait for real lmao somebody has it out for this company

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Oof lotta bad news for redfall this week

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
this was all from games journalism and its not out yet but:

30 fps cap on console, lotta performance issues on pc, always online single player, coop campaign only completes for host, couple other things i cant recall

Seems like its being rushed out the door which given the other games releasing now is gonna probably kill the game

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/blasphemous-switch/

Saw that blasphemous was finally on sale. It's a generic metroidvania with a cool aesthetic. Probably the best part of the game are the boss fights.

Blasphemous is really good, def worth the sale

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

graph posted:

dead cells feels so good

shame about the whole roguelike thing

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
im not exactly sure when the formula peaked but it sure as hell has gotten tiresome thats for sure

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow posted:

im not exactly sure when the formula peaked but it sure as hell has gotten tiresome thats for sure

I filtered and sorted steam reviews and looks like we peaked in 2011/2012 with FTL and Binding of Isaac.

I should replay ftl it was so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
ya i can't believe i forgot spelunky thats definitely a contender for top dog.

i lived the og game through college, so good