Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

psiox posted:

yeah i kinda lost steam in doom eternal after the first day

it's pretty but tbh feels way too gamified and ooh wow make sure your GAMER"S" RANK is good and it's no longer a story about spacecapitalism

so oh well

yeah something about the combat feels way off compared to what i was used to in doom 2016

also the whole orbital hub thing is just....... what. what the gently caress is this poo poo. why. just... keep me going through a series of levels where i shoot and rip and tear demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
is the witcher a good game? can i hop in at the latest one or do i need to play from the beginning?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
cool thanks! i don't own any of them yet so i'll probably just jump in with W3 at some point. i appreciate the input! :)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

it is pretty cool how you can press tab in the middle of the game and it instantly switches between the original graphics and the remake ones, though

command & conquer remastered does this too, if you press spacebar during a game it'll toggle between old and new graphics

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
man i've been going hard on nostalgia-gaming lately. earlier this year it was the old x-wing and tie-fighter games. played out x-wing, got a good chunk through TIE fighter but eventually the missions got complex/tense enough that it just got stressful and i kinda wandered away from it.

recently got the C&C Remastered release. actually pretty surprisingly good effort considering it's an EA product. i played through all the Tiberian Dawn stuff, even slogged through all the expansion/console missions so i could see the bonus pics/vids. for some dumb reason i find i like the TD play more than the Red Alert play, so i'm not as keen on playing through those.

also some friends got me into Valorant a month or so ago. it's basically counterstrike with characters/abilities bolted on. lol they actually opened with "oh hey farmer crack-rear end, you played a bunch of counterstrike right? we could use someone with your skills, we suck at this kind of game lol". finding it more rewarding than the battle royale-style FPSing i was doing with other friends a while back, i think because it's more frequent combat rather than spending 10 minutes skulking around and looting poo poo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK I've literally forgotten everything about these things so:

I'm rebuilding my 98SE system for James, and the way I figure it is I only need FAT32 partitions for DOS games since the "DOS" you can boot to under 98 can handle it, but if I ever need to boot to an earlier version of DOS off diskettes or whatever, I'll need a FAT16 partition to access anything?

i feel like it'd be easier to just use a SDcard to IDE interface and just have different SD cards for old DOS, new DOS, Win9x games

then you could also take an image of the SDcard so that if win9x ever eats itself you can just restore the image and immediately get back to it being fresh and (relatively) stable

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
why is there so much hype about cyberpunk 2077? like is there some hot new feature it's supposed to have, or what?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i've been playing cod warzone lately with some friends. we usually get our poo poo pushed in lol but it's still good fun romping around the map and calling out targets

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jesus WEP posted:

the frustration is the point, have y’all never played xcom

i have not had xcom

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
been playing a bunch of civ 5 lately. after getting clobbered a couple of times i managed to hunker into a v. defnesible position and score a cultural victory. think i'm gonna try for a domination victory next.

i already got the science victory back when i first played civ5 way back when. not interested in the diplomatic victory though, fussing around with the city states just sounds like a headache.

also never got around to getting the brave new world expansion, the tourism system didn't sound interesting at all to me

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i spent some time playing Outpost over the weekend. it has a reputation for being buggy and unfinished, but i remember playing it as a kid, so i was really curious to see what i was forgetting.

basically while there are still some clearly unfinished/unimplemented features, the game itself is actually quite playable, it's mostly just hobbled by an obtuse interface. just adding meaningful reports about total resources in/out/stored would go a long, long way to making it better. granted i was playing version 1.5, which i understand was substantially improved over the initial release, so maybe 1.0 really was unplayably bad.

part of me wonders how much of the missing functionality was due to struggling to implement it within the hardware constraints of the era; i saw a note that the 1.5 patch bumps the system requirements of the game to a whole *eight megabytes* of RAM. but then, i also wonder if there was a lot of struggling just to get the game to semi-reliably function in the first place; I've heard that writing games for windows 3.x was *intensely* challenging because the environment was just so much less predictable

don't get me wrong, i wouldn't pay money for it today. and i can absolutely understand why people felt robbed when they bought it back in the 90s. but there is actually a kernel of a neat game in there. the thing that weirdly fascinates me is how Surviving Mars chose to make everything happen on the surface, whereas Outpost *requires* the player to dig out subsurface levels for habitation and light industry, leaving the hostile surface for heavy industry. i totally understand why Surviving Mars went the direction it did, but there have been times playing Surviving Mars when i've wished i could expand down instead of out.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ciaphas posted:

why does tumblr just have the absolute shittiest formatting for conversations

it's just incredibly hostile to communication, and from what i can tell the userbase likes it that way

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ciaphas posted:

today I remembered that Sifu exists

https://i.imgur.com/qbqS4UQ.mp4

this reminded me of those old xiao xiao flash animations where the stick figure badass would beat up all the other stick figures

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
fired up an old 90s turn-based space war game called Star General. i never played any of the other [*] General games (e.g. Panzer General, Pacific General, etc) but i remember my dad had this one installed on his computer when i was a kid and i never got the hang of it back then.

it plays alright. got bit by an errata though; in space combat, the enemy would charge a rinky-dink destroyer in and somehow one-shot one of my battleships. how the hell? checked the manual again and nothing; tried searching online and lol there is very little about this game left on the internet that i saw. finally dug into the game folder, pulled the readme, it was right there all along: they threw in an 4/5 chance for a DD to one-shot a BB via a "torpedo run". guessing they figured they needed a little more rock-paper-scissors and a little less "bigger guns = better than".

also finally got a killer run in noita going again. i'm at new game 3 and i am an unstoppable murderwizard. think i might be taking another break from it soon.

my current fps of choice lately has been day of defeat source, lol. there's a couple of servers that have been around for ages that are usually decent.

anyway, that's my story. thanks and "god bless";

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i meant it as a wildcard. SSI published a bunch of games which apparently get referred to as the "Five Star General" games, with titles like Panzer General, Fantasy General, Pacific General, etc.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i played the shareware version so many times as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
been playing a bit of railroad tycoon lately. i love how those old microprose games hit just the right mix of just enough depth while still being nicely abstracted