Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hell if you're talking gameboy and snes just run one of the emulators that have been ported directly to your phone platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Truman Peyote posted:

right, i was unclear. i mean that i tend to bounce off games where you start out somewhere that nobody appears to live in. your party is there, just rampaging through an empty dungeon. (maybe it's shorter than i'm remembering because it was literally 15 years ago that i was playing this.)

The big bad totally lives there, along with his dryad harem (who tell you all about how he can't get it up).

I'll grant that it's kind of long though, especially if you're actually exploring it and not just speeding through it because your already know where everything is.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i'm stuck at 60hz because my graphics card is ancient and wouldn't be able to manage anything higher.

it's definitely on my list for after the crypto bubble pops tho

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i played it for a bit

i wrote a cool "cloud computing" script that would automatically and efficiently distribute your hacking tasks over every server you had access to, which i thought was pretty cool. then i got to the first reset and had to manually bootstrap back up to the point where it was going to be useful and decided that nah, that's enough for me

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's really funny how nowadays you can get a terabyte ssd for like a hundred bucks, but it still holds the same number of games as a hundred dollar hard drive did back in 2000

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
half life poo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
on the screen resolution i originally played it at, you'd be running around doing cool poo poo and then you'd suddenly stop and your view would start rising, and you'd look up and go "oh another stupid loving barnacle"

it was much better when i replayed it in slightly higher definition and could actually see the tongues

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Weren't they all "build a pile on one end of the see-saw to lift up the other end", with the see-saw occasionally replaced by a system of pulleys?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

jesus WEP posted:

is IGN pay for good score or are their reviewers just total dipshits, it’s hard to tell from a distance

ign readers are total dipshits, the reviewers vary in dipshittery but are mostly just telling people what they want to hear

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
they were also really annoying to replace separately from just buying a whole new microwave in the era before easy e-commerce, if, purely hypothetically, you took it out of the microwave to clean it and dropped it on the floor and it shattered.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i guess unless you go over to your friend's house and steal the plate out of their microwave to make it their problem

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just started outer wilds on the thread's recommendation, thanks game pass for making it zero barrier to entry

seems good so far

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
dang I need to finish the game so I can actually read those posts

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

escape from butcher bay may have been the best movie tie in game of all time

goldeneye is the other obvious contender but yeah, escape from butcher bay was real good. it's like they set out to make a game in the movie universe instead of phoning in a lovely cash-in.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I didn't play Reach because it came out after I'd moved away to college and didn't have my xbox-owning friend around to binge co-op with.

But based on the wiki page, the macguffin in Reach wasn't "ai tech", it was "an artifact with the location of a Halo ring". Cortana and the other AIs predate the events of Reach.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

haveblue posted:

alyx was made to push hardware, hl2 and episodes were made to push steam, I'm not sure if hl1 was made to push anything

aiming a gun is hard in vr because it's exactly like aiming a gun in real life, namely a lot harder than aiming a gun in a normal fps

do you even get to hold your gun with two hands for stability in vr

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i assume if they really wanted to they could have an aim assist, where if you're close enough to pointing directly away from you it'd snap to pointing perfectly away from you letting you just aim like a regular fps game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
though gunkata trickshots is also something you can conceivably do with vr's recoilless guns if your want to show off

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
a decent number of modders basically used the existing game as an sdk for making their own games

though that seemed to drop off significantly once unity came along, I guess most of the people so inclined decided to switch to making actual indie games instead of modding

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
quest logs are good for people that play only a little bit occasionally because it lets you pick up a game a few weeks later and still know what's up and what you should do next

but it's not surprising that the people who binge through a whole 40 hour game in a single weekend think that they're "dumbing down" and "for casuals".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
left 4 dead is a boomer shooter

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i never played tf2 but i've thought about trying it. i think someone told me tf2 matches tend to be longer, more like 20-30 minutes?

if you're finding a team and playing a competitive 6v6 or highlander ladder then yeah sure, if you're just joining the pub matchmaking queue then not really. also you can just gently caress off whenever when you're pubbing, there's no obligation to stick out the whole match to avoid letting five people down.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

leaving early is kind of bad manners in overwatch, you're saying that's less true in tf2?

if you're playing the 12v12 pub mode then literally nobody will notice or care if someone else leaves in the middle of a round.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

i started with training mode with bots. i liked the scout, heavy, and healer the most, soldier was okay, demo was okay. having three weapons is throwing me off, as well as not always being on the blue team. i died before running out of ammo every time so that doesn't seem like a big deal. i joined the casual 12v12 mode and joined a match part way through, finished that one, then played most of another. i liked it a lot, both maps were "2fort", and voting for a new map is nice. there was also a lot of voting to ban people which made me a little paranoid, but i just typed "i'm new please help" and people were pretty nice. someone helped me find and use the dispenser to heal. :buddy:

after a while i switched to healer and spent a lot of time pocketing a heavy and our team did well. i liked that it was "capturing intelligence", more fun than "the objective". i will play it again, i definitely want to try the other modes.

i played for 45 minutes and managed to get two achievements:

Nice!

I love playing soldier but he's not very fun unless you're reasonably confident in your rocket jumping - having the mobility to attack from different angles is a big part of the fun. And other than bullying snipers on the battlements you can't really do much of that on 2fort anyway.

Payload maps are I think what most people end up playing - since you're familiar with overwatch the game mechanic should be pretty recognizable. The average sweatiness of play might be a step up from 2fort though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Half Life 2 Episode 1 is from 2006, actually.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Improbable Lobster posted:

you don't bait your breath?

what sort of prey would you attract with garlic

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

echinopsis posted:

dirt rally 2 is well over 100gb

a lot of it feels like just poor optimisation and devs making unique content for the tracks hand over fist

dirt rally 2 is very good tho. shame i’m poo poo at it

I swear grand theft auto has the best 3rd person car camera angle and action. nothing else is as good

A lot of it is good optimization (for consoles that still store their games on spinning rust). If you have an asset like a lamp post or something, that's going to be duplicated dozens of times in the game data, so that whatever segment of the level the player is loading in to will still load in one sequential disk read.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Did Xbox 360 games really look this Legoy or have I hosed up some settings? I need to do a 360/Series X a/b test.

Also, fuuuuuuuck downloading every 360 game you have the disc for. That's just suck.

The only Xbox game I tried didn't work at all (Cold Fear) :(

I'm pretty sure they just looked like blurry garbage because you were watching them at 30fps on a 720i television.

I wouldn't be surprised if they looked kinda plasticky in HD. No-one's putting effort into details that won't be seen at the design resolution.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
dang, am i gonna have to break the rule about paying more than 20 bucks for a game

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Beyond ReTarTed. posted:

dude walks into work with severe mental health problems (all sorts of symptoms) and rambles? about elden ring and i *thinks to self*..., I should play that video game

go away

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Tried Arena a bit because it's free and I'd forgotten than it literally needs a new UI to be playable.

And even then it's not actually good. At least Morrowind is an OK game.

moddable at all?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
every few years some big advertising firm runs a study that conclusively proves the most profitable forms of advertising don't actually work, and then ignores the results

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
remember when facebook single-handedly ruined the internet by straight-up lying about how effective video content was?

remember how all the mba brains doubled down on video content even after it was revealed to be a complete lie?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mr. Crow posted:

Lmao making this post in the context of the video games industry

you think square-enix is signing a multimillion dollar deal because they're hard-up for rent?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you only buy the ones marked "adults only"?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
more like bunko poop

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sweevo posted:

not a gta fan either tbh. its fun to play for 30 minutes when drunk, but all i ever do is drive ice cream trucks off cliffs or try to jump over big thing on a motorbike. the missions aren't all that fun

the point of sr is that it's the fun parts of gta with missions that are more of the same fun stuff instead of some incredibly lame-rear end poo poo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I thought the big FPS games (CS, Fortnite) made their bank selling hats, slot machine spins for hats, and subscriptions to indirectly get and/or gamble for hats.

I know there was that star wars game that experimented with slot machine spins for in-game advantages, but I'm pretty sure they abandoned that after all their customers got mad.

Are call of duty and battlefield doing microtransactions for better guns or something?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

SmokaDustbowl posted:

yes

even if you're skilled someone paid money to get a better weapon so you can't compete

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jenny Agutter posted:

dont know about cod but latest battlefield doesn't have that, in fact it is so hosed i don't know if it has any microtransactions. generally games are moving towards the battle pass model, you'll pay to get the chance to unlock gun skins and horse armor but mechanical progression is the same for everyone

tbh multiplayer fps games shouldn't have "mechanical progression" at all

as a new player i should get dumpstered by a teenager with hundreds of hours of gameplay because they have better reflexes, better aim, and hundreds of hours of experience and understanding of the flow of the game. not because they just have a better gun than what i'm allowed to use.