Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I put a pin in my list of unplayed games last night and got Mad Max - played a couple of hours and its OK, but not really enthusing me.

The Arkham style punch-block-and-dodge combat doesn't work like as well as it does for the Bat, but the driving is fun and some of the car wreck graphics are spectacular; I don't think I've seen flame burning around the edges of models without clipping done as well as it is here.

I'll give it a bit more time and see if things pick up the pace a bit, it doesn't have the always-action feeling Fury Road did so far.

it's definitely a modern open world game, there's moments like the convoy attacks and the races that feel a bit like that but it's mostly exploring and punching dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Post good bargains for folks who might not have them yet.

Mine; Sleeping Dogs Definitive is less than three quid at the moment, you will get a lot of punching and driving fun for that price, even if the story is a bit threadbare in places where it was cut for time / budget.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/307690/Sleeping_Dogs_Definitive_Edition/

If you like open world 3rd person stuff this is a must-have.

this goes on sale on PSN for $5-10 very frequently and the ps4 version is obviously last gen but runs a shitload better than the ps3/360 release

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have doubts about her ability to deliver an authentic james experience

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I miss listening to my own music during games, I think when thps remake comes out I will start that again

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

games should have an optional 5 minute mini tutorial/plot catch-up if it sees you haven’t played in more than a week.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

watch dog 2 can be played in several ways, you can avoid lovely gunplay in most situations if you upgrade your other skills. I’d prefer if they did away with the fighting altogether and just let you be hacking/remote robot bastard

the level 3 gang/cop call skills are great

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

from what I read it’s an extremely kojima game so if that’s what you like go for it, since hours of nonsensical exposition that sounds like it was written my an extremely high teenager coupled with annoying gameplay isn’t my jam I skipped it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have played the first few hours of witcher 3 like 4 times

there's nothing obviously horrible about it, it just doesn't grab me for some reason

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 21, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so many 3rd person games have this stupidly tight field of view then rush enemies at you from every direction

the bad camera made me absolutely hate the ff7r demo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that late 90s sega aesthetic looks even uglier in high resolution

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the preferred term is video james [see thread title]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bobbilljim posted:

Just wanna say need for speed underground 2 still bangs

you mean you just want to rice out your car and race and don't want to spend 10000 hours getting insta-killed by cop cars? lame

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

garage is just weaksauce d&b *runs for cover*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

speaking of psygnosis how is there no modern take on g*police

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

in 2021 it should be more like gently caress the g*police or All G*Police Are Bastards but how with our giant video cards are there basically no games where you fly around a cool city blowing stuff up, everything is bound to human scale

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

power botton posted:

here's what I want: a GTA open world except its carmageddon instead of a boring gta game

this is pretty much the mad max game

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I watched the first episode of high score, it’s ok but so far not much most of us old folks wouldn’t have already heard growing up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

what if mobo had gun

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tony hawk remake is decent, faithful even to the point of the bad levels still being bad. the good ones are worth it though

the music is censored though which is like :what:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

toiletbrush posted:

me and my flatmates played the crap out of TH1&2 while I was at uni, so I want to get this but some people + reviews have mentioned input lag being an issue. Do you just get used to it?

Skate 4 is in development but it's a new EA title so everything is going to be trapped behind unlocks. Skate 4: I hope you like grinding
I haven't noticed lag but there's occasional input jank and the timing for revert > manual has changed and I still haven't quite nailed it yet. the rest seems ok and I can still score in the hundreds of thousands fairly easily. I really hope they do 3 and 4 the same way

there's an achievement for 10 million in 2 minutes and I'm not sure if I'm going to get that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

offset analog sticks are bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Fairly interesting; the architectural inspirations for Control

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/352097/The_real_buildings_that_inspired_Controls_Oldest_House.php

Shame the example pics aren't bigger / click-to-embiggen tho
I'm not far in but I loving love sciencemidcentury architecture so I am into it big time

the hydraulic room was probably heavily inspired by wright's johnson wax design

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will never understand games that don't allow multiple saves or easy starting over. sometimes you want those new game vibes once you're good at it

the crew 1 saves your progress on ubi's own servers and it's apparently impossible to start over without deleting your uplay account entirely

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my time in mobile games has increased as turn based console games have been almost entirely eliminated from the market

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bbut xbox is slightly more powerful!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol 8k what's the goddamn point I'd rather play 1080p at like 200fps

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sony is going to sell an assload of those no disc ps5s

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh look there's a new final fantasy and it's another lovely airjuggle action rpg where you mash buttons and the whole screen is filled with glowy garbage just like the last one and ff7r
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tBnBAkHv9M

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

President Beep posted:

remember how crazy different 7 8 and 9 were? we’ll never see that variety again.

to me the fact that the world, the gameplay system, everything was completely different each time was a big part of the draw. they didn't always work well, eg ff8's draw system but materia from ff7 and the sphere grid from ff10 were awesome and the weird semi-auto license system from 12 was flawed but fun to play with

I guess we should be glad they didn't souls-ify this one?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dragon quest 11 was the last good jrpg I played

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

laughing at the xbox series s, sent to die against no disc ps5

Cat Face Joe posted:

why does it look like a ps3 game
probably because it takes square so long to make them they started working on the ps3?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

square pitch meeting: "what if we just rip off Game of Thrones but make every character a twink with anime hair?"

they pretty much invented twinks with anime hair in video games

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sleeping dogs is a true hidden gem game, I want to believe it would somehow have been worse if they’d been able to finish it, it’s not perfect or anything but the good parts are so good especially the last mission

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Zlodo posted:

I worked on that

we didn't provide a new game option for reasons you'll hate to hear: we basically can't remove anything from player saves that they could possibly have purchased with the hard currency (cc) and our server programmers are super stingy with storage space so we dont store which currency you used to purchase things
my soul is richer for learning this, thanks for sharing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

16 looks like it's actually going to be a final fantasy instead of anime prince umbridge vas mccool and his besties driving around in the adam west batmobile, so that's nice

it's going to be an action rpg, the combat looks like kingdom hearts air juggles doing the same 5 move combo for 60 hours

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

xbox is hugehot

quote:

We're just over a month from the launch of the Xbox Series X, but if you're thinking of buying one here's a word of warning: it runs hot.

That's according to journalist Ken Bogard from French video games site Jeux Video (courtesy of VGC). In a video, Bogard praised the Series X's quiet running, but expressed surprise at how hot the console got.

"The Series X is hot, like really hot!" Bogard said in the video. "It doesn’t make any noise, but drat it’s hot! The console is emitting heat like crazy. It’s almost like a fireplace shaft. You can heat up your flat with it."

The video has since been removed from Twitch with no explanation.

The claim was backed up by Giant Bomb co-host Jeff Bakalar. In a separate video, he said his console was releasing a lot of heat even in standby mode. He also appeared to burn his hand on its storage expansion.
If you watch the ps5 teardown fully 50% of the volume of the thing is fans and ducting so this isn't shocking but nobody's mentioned that about the ps5, maybe the extra 4 tflops the xbox has weren't worth it?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

squadrons is still v. good but what if I don't want to destroy the rebel convoy after we extracted what we wanted

they made a movie about this, you defect and have a cool character arc at first then get shuffled into a comic relief side character because of racism

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

outer worlds was so obviously supposed to be bigger and have way more content but was made to its budget, I mean what's the point of designing 4 different outdoor environments and then putting the exact same monsters on them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

how do the need for speed games compare with burnout paradise?

they have a lot more unskippable poorly acted cutscenes and police chases where it magically spawns a cop every time you’re 0.1 seconds from escaping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the tony hawk 1 and 2 remake is good but probably not worth 40 bux if you weren’t a super fan back in the day