Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://twitter.com/BuildEnginePics/status/1604899518431916032

:sickos: Man I've wanted to play through Dark Forces again for ages, can't put it off now.

Reminds me that I do still kinda want to play the whole Katarn series, but lol I'm not gonna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

dioxazine posted:

but you already do that for a living!

But what if instead I could be a godlike middle manager where both my bosses and subordinates are maladjusted alcoholics, and our primary deliverable is crafts made from the bones of those that won't leave us the gently caress alone?

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

SmokaDustbowl posted:

back playing morrowind lmao

morrowind is so good

I've been toying with getting it going in VR even though it gains basically nothing from VR. Game's just great.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I so badly want a new immersive sim style game (or even just a good first person rpg) to play but none of the indies I'm watching are done.

Gloomwood is great but not done and I don't wanna piecemeal spoil it. Same with Dread Delusion. And ULTRAKILL.

There's an absolute golden age of indies for kids like me that cut their teeth on Thief and Morrowind, but it's just out of reach.

Hopefully Severed Steel and Metal Hellsinger tide me over till one of these indies is done.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Yeah I'm pumping the brakes on Darktide in the hopes of seeing some good improvements coming along.

It's fun and I honestly prefer it to Vermintide because I like the emphasis on shooting, but it could use some refinement.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

fart simpson posted:

have you heard of dwarf fortress

I have and I sunk 30 hours into a fort already and I'm absolutely gonna play more, but I also want some kind of action game.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

fart simpson posted:

have you heard of dwarf fortress adventure mode

I have and I've played it but it's not quite the itch I'm trying to scratch

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

fart simpson posted:

have you heard of dwarf fortress legends mode

That's a good point. I'm gonna go generate worlds till DF rewrites the entirety of the Wheel of Time. Thanks, Fart Simpson.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

dioxazine posted:

midnight fight express, my friend pedro?

Oh I meant like still numbers-y but also more action than DF. Ive got an itch for something like System Shock 2 or Prey 2016 or even something in the vein of the old Theif games would do. Cyberpunk 2077 was kinda scratching it but then my V ended up wildly OP and now it's just instagib baddies between drawn out dialogs. I could go finish the story... But meh I don't feel like sitting through a bunch of dialog.

I'm also feeling drawn to my comfort zone of first person.

I'll look at Midnight Fight Express though. I haven't heard of that one.

Decon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 28, 2022

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Armitag3 posted:

I’m very jealous that you’ll get to experience Outer Wilds for the first time and i’ll never get to do that again

If I could delete one chunk of my memory, it'd be the entirety of the Outer Wilds so I could play it again.

Also, I found what dumb numbers go up and also shoot dudes game I'm gonna play:

Wish me luck.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Casual Encountess posted:

i keep trying new multiplayer shooters to play with my friends and they all annoy me in some way or other. i hate how much nothing i do in a game like apex or pubg. my friend is waaaay too into dayz and that game drives me loving bonkers bananas with all the nothing you do.

cod and battlefield feel too brainless to me. i tried hell let loose and its really loving fun as a more serious game than battlefield but less serious than arma. you absolutely need a full squad stack if not a group of 20 to enjoy that game so that’s out for me. im playing overwatch 2 and it seems to be the closest to the experience i want but its still not quite there.

i like how “short” games are and how its generally obvious in ow2 what you should be doing at any given time but it’s also extremely frustrating that playing with randos is even more swingy than in pubg or apex since theres 5 of you.

i thought i would like r6:siege since i played original cs but everybody playing cs now has been playing since then and i havent and it shows. i was surprised that siege ended up sweatier and even more inscrutable to learn than csgo. also gently caress off with hour long comp mode games. i like that i can play 6 ow2 maps or like 3 casual cs maps in the span of one apex or comp csgo match.

While I liked my time with the big battle royal games, that part of them did eat at me too.

Have you tried the tide games (Darktide/Vermintide)? Or are you not about PvE games? Something I appreciate about them is that if I see friends on playing one, I can hop in for a mission and spend no more than 30 minutes in the mission and it's largely nonstop action to the point that the downtime feels necessary.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Elden Ring is probably the easiest of the bunch simply because there's always somewhere else you can gently caress off and do stuff and get levels. Plus the encounter difficulty doesn't really get going until like, Leyndell aside from the Runebearer fights. There's no situation like the Capra Demon where as a first time player it's this wall that you need to get past in order to progress so you just keep trying until you get it.

"Just gently caress off and do something else if you get stuck" was my advice to newbies to the Souls series and I genuinely liked it myself. Just mark the dungeon with something so you know you're not done with it, and come back later. Those Crystalians and their bullshit poise system will be there for you to kill later when you're better at breaking poise.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

bump_fn posted:

enjoy gaining brouzouf

Sagebrush posted:

I hope your legs are okay

I am enjoying gaining brouzouf and spending it on research I don't understand.

My legs are okay.

This game's megajank but it's scratching the System Shock 2 itch.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Casual Encountess posted:

i can usually con my friends into playing some deep rock galactic but its not shooty enough for some of their tastes.

i tried valorant too but like every other game now theres 40 heroes and you have to memorize them and their abilities and cooldowns like pokemon while trying to play the counterstrike part of the game and that sucked rear end.

even with a game like hell let loose that i enjoy l, i look at it and know i need like 60 hours in that game to be able to have basic competency and that fuckin sucks.

is splatoon worth checking out?

I'd say Darktide is the shootiest of the big L4D-likes out there right now, but it probably needs more time in the oven tbh. I'd consider it in a couple months after Fatshark shakes some stuff out.

Though if you/your friends are sensitive about cash shop stuff, maybe avoid.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

try Squad, op. I gave it a shot after BF2042 disappointed the poo poo out of me and it’s fantastic

My only point against Squad is that a bad command structure can mean lots of doing nothing then you lose. I haven't played it in a couple years though so maybe it's improved.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

polyester concept posted:

being able to fast travel at any time even without a bonfire/grace felt like cheating. in dark souls, exploring a new area meant you had to live long enough to find the next bonfire and it was basically like Anxiety: The Game. the sense of relief when you saw that bonfire in the distance was unbelievable tho

You were blocked from fast travel when in a dungeon you hadn't beaten though, right?

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

psiox posted:

mooncrash really grew on me and it's worth finishing

but yeah prey was incredible

And then Bethesda hosed over a bunch of Arkane creatives and Deathloop ended up being Mooncrash but watered down to hell and back.

I want to be excited for their Vamps4Dead game but I just get the feeling the studio has been hollowed out.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

haveblue posted:

I don't understand why you would take a studio known for deep single-player games and have them make a co-op squad shooter

unless you wanted to destroy them and/or were a boring trend chaser

Well, Arkane seems to have had some kind of online maybe coop idea bouncing around since before Dishonored, but yeah I think Bethesda is just using them to churn poo poo out at this point and Prey will go down as Arkane's swan song.

Hell, I read somewhere that part of what lead to Prey's creative director leaving was Bethesda demanding they title it "Prey" despite being a System Shock 2 successor with fuckall to do with the old Prey game. Apparently, Psychoshock was a working title... And that's what the game was.

Here's the article actually: https://kotaku.com/prey-2017-2006-bethesda-imsim-name-arkane-colantonio-1849481519

Idk everything I read about Bethesda has me disliking them more and more lately. Just a lovely, abusive parent company chasing away invaluable talent because they're just assholes.

So yeah I'm not gonna be surprised when Redfall is a cynical paint-by-numbers attempt at copying Vermintide 2's success but one of the classes is just watered down Corvo from Dishonored.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Armitag3 posted:

I want more Arx Fatalis and less of whatever this new thing is

That's what I'm sayin

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

neosloth posted:

I guess deathloop played around with multiplayer as well?

It did but I wasn't stoked on the implementation. It was basically Dark Souls invasions, and the motivation to play as the invader, Juliana, was Diablo 3 loot (idk who started it but the white/green/blue/orange/purple items with randomized stats/perks)... which I'd really, really, really, really, really like video games to move away from.

Oh, and much like Dark Souls invasions, you're absolutely gonna get invaded by someone that's just far better equipped than you and you're not gonna be able to do poo poo about it. But unlike Dark Souls where you just wake up back at the bonfire (which totally sucks most of the time don't get me wrong) and amble off to try to pick up your souls, your whole loop gets reset. Doing the last assassination on what should be the final loop? Nope get hosed try again idiot hope you didn't miss that 45 minutes.

But the loot, both as Juliana and Colt, is actually a big part of what has me saying "Mooncrash is better" to anyone with the misfortune to bring up Deathloop around me. Like, Deathloop had a more complete story, but the appeal of there being a particular item in a particular place each cycle and having to go in naked (save for what you spend money on) was so, so much better to me. The items were somewhat randomized in Mooncrash, but not enough to make or break a run. Regardless, I liked that aspect of having to determine where I could make sure I could get one of the other survivors set up with a shotgun or the like. But in Deathloop I was just like "well I got this orange SMG a few hours ago so I guess I'll beat the game with it" and I did. No clever planning on how to get Colt a good enough gun to take down the big bads; just a loot-em-up wearing a stealth-em-up's jacket.

The other thing that Mooncrash did better was that I felt much more like I was learning the correct way to save all the survivors myself, whereas Deathloop is constantly like "go here to learn how to assassinate so-n-so". But, hey, I'm just a curmudgeonly old Morrowind player that'd prefer incorrectly written directions to a "go here to win" marker.

Mooncrash is like someone at Arkane played Tarkov and was like "this could be a better game and a singleplayer game" and they did it and it was better, and Deathloop is the result of a suit looking at that project and going "okay how are we gonna mass market this?" And it makes me worried we're not gonna see another "what if Tarkov was singleplayer and actually good", and that's sad.

Deathloop had great music and clever writing though.

Wow sorry that was far more of a rant than I intended.

Decon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 4, 2023

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Apparently Redfall is gonna be Arkane's take on Far Cry? Doesn't get my hopes up about it, but that's interesting.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Roosevelt posted:

gently caress star wars, gimme titanfall 3

Best we can do is a middle of the road Soulslike with Star Wars window dressing.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

I got the Rimanah ending in EYE Divine Cybermancy. What an absolutely bizarre game. It's like bargain bin Warframe with a story that halfway collapses under its own weight. I might go get the other endings just to do it when I don't have other stuff to play, but I'm probably gonna shelve it for now.

But right after finishing it, I tried the Fortune's Run demo. If you like "boomer shooters", if you liked Thief/Dark Forces/System Shock 2/EYE/Mirror's Edge, try that drat game. Visually, it's very openly Dark Forces inspired. Gameplay wise, it encourages and rewards stealth, but also forces you into fun, frenetic fights where you're encouraged to utilize a variety of tools to block, stun, and kill enemies all while moving insanely quickly, jumping off walls, sliding, etc. A complaint I've seen is that it's pitching itself as "immersive sim" while having just one fairly linear level for the demo, which is true, but whatever; game's fun.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

quiggy posted:

physical games chat: getting ready to teach four other people how to play oath :negative:

I've been curious about Oath. My group played the paint off Root, and I know they're very much different games, but we've been interested in trying it since, y'know, good designers are good.

But we'll probably just keep playing the bejesus out of Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy instead because god drat can that game scratch a couple itches.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

quiggy posted:

root loving owns and i'd be lying if i said i hadn't initially been interested in oath because it's the same designer, but as i've learned the rules and watched let's plays and stuff it seems like a very interesting thing and i'm very excited to put it in front of my group. just not looking forward to, y'know, teaching it

Strong rec from me to play Eclipse: Second Dawn in that case if you're ever feeling something meatier.

It's a great sweet spot imo. The biggest thing it has going is that it's a fully fledged 4x implementation that doesn't take an entire weekend to play. Don't get me wrong, it can get long, but not Twilight Imperium long.

quiggy posted:

i usually start my teaches with the win condition and lol+lmao oath has four of them and none are simple :negative:

FMguru posted:

indeed, the entire point of the game is to shift the victory condition around and reveal the actual victory condition only when you are in a position to claim it

That's exactly what makes teaching Inis harder than it should be.

The game concepts are easy (Read The Fun Card and do what it says, movement is generally unrestricted besides causing combat), but new players consistently struggle with the concept of presence vs chieftain ("wait I thought I had to be chieftain of 6 sanctuaries" or "oh I thought I had to be chieftain of 6 enemy clans in the same territory") and generally get the win conditions mixed up.

That being said, I still 100% recommend Inis to your less boardgamey friends/family. If you ever hear someone try to suggest Risk, throw Inis at 'em. I'd describe my brother as basically allergic to most of my collection, but he loves Inis and actually asked if we could teach it to friends of his.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Anybody else here played Ctrl Alt Ego? It's pretty solid.

The "lol software" humor is so thick that the thickness is a joke itself, and the early game could've lightened up with the "it's an immersive sim! Solve problems however you want to!!!" a bit. But overall it's definitely worth checking out if you liked games like Prey.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

no one "told me that", literally every poster on SA spouts the line of "just go somewhere else" all the goddamned time so i never had any indication whatsoever that a boss order existed beyond "godrick first, probably"

but then i'm a dense loving brainless autistic idiot, so

I mean, when I said that I generally meant "gently caress off and do some minor dungeons" because each area is absolutely brimming with them.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

more games should take ocarina of times approach to controls, where nintendo realized that perfectly timing the jump button press, despite being the most traditional bit of gameplay in existence, actually worked out more like a way overused annoying qte failure in the context of the overall game. so they just made link jump automatically.

in the context of stealth games specifically because so many of them just have really unfun "oops, 1 cm too far to the left, guy saw me, lets redo" precision aspects that *seem* central to how they work but really isn't.

When Ubisoft starts painting ledges red so players know where they can jump from in addition to the ledges painted white so they know where they can climb, I'm gonna blame you.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

i'll accept this blame. every game should look like mirrors edge really, a white void with starkly colored gameplay objects floating in it, made narratively plausible by blaming it on capitalism.

Mirror's Edge at least made fun and interesting gameplay systems out of it, and you could turn off the highlighting and still have it be perfectly playable. That's how I played it anyway.

Also it wasn't a "3 skill points to unlock silent takedown/takedown from below/takedown from above" game because that poo poo's lame as gently caress and is usually part of the "this ledge painted for your mantling convenience" package.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

more seriously though, i am not sure i would consider contextual hardcoded things an example of oot-autojump. if anything the climbing equivalent is botw, which in much the same way streamlines gameplay by putting great effort into just having climbing always work pretty much everywhere. because missing the specific handholds or whatever is unfun qte-failure-like gameplay.

Oh I definitely don't consider it the same.

I was just "old man yells at cloud"ing at 2010s game design, and kinda genuinely do think that if Ubisoft or the like reintroduced the OOT auto-jump, they'd color code ledges where you're allowed to do it.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

oh no blimp issue posted:

bought returnal yesterday, beat the third boss on my first run, you can say im pretty good at video games

On one hand, I hate sounding like a "I'm so good at vibeo ganes :smug:" jackass

On the other hand, I got Horizon Zero Dawn and have died more often to slipping off level geometry I didn't belong on than I have actual enemies that I'm kinda second guessing other big name Playstation ports like Returnal. And hearing that it's also not hard definitely has me leaning towards passing on it.

I'll gladly take something like Ctrl Alt Ego where you're not really meant to lose (just get put in a more difficult puzzle) over something more interested in conveying the impression of intensity and difficulty without really delivering on it.

Sweevo posted:

souls games are for people who think mashing the roll button for 30 hours is the same thing as being a good game

All you do in Morrowind is mash LMB till you stop getting called an n'wah and it's the best game of all time.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Kenny Logins posted:

returnal's difficult is very rng-dependent. i could easily see someone with decent game experience getting pretty far on the first go if they have basically good luck. seem to recall a returnal review or article where they had the same thing happen

Sounds about roguelite.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Your first playthrough is that long, but once you know where things are it's really more like, 10-20. Kinda split on what I think about that to be honest.

I think it's great tbh. Means that I can make a new character for DLC without committing nearly as much time because so much of the time I spent was learning the world, which I like doing in well made worlds.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

sort-of-finished Hotline Miami in one session yesterday. Good fun - didn't do whatever this secret password thing in the epilogue is though, might've made the plot make some kind of goddamn sense. Debating between doing that or just reading a wiki and moving on to HM2

wasn't really into most of the music, surprisingly, though ch15's theme was cool. was hoping more of it would be like that Carpenter Brut track i posted earlier. maybe HM2's selection will fare better

2's music leans more Carpenter Brut, but the levels are, sadly, worse. Lots of long sightlines that enemies can and will use, but you can't use.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

borderlands' combination of grinding for purps and monkey cheese humor did not click with me

:same:

Thank gently caress for indies that still believe in hiding cool gear in fixed places instead of making me dig through piles of greys and greens for a decent upgrade.

But hey I'm a hopeless Souls fanboy who'll clap like a dipshit for the umpteenth rendition of "person in power used magic to gain immortality and now everything is hosed" conveyed via the item description of some soiled briefs so my opinion doesn't count.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Kenny Logins posted:

not an indie but just finished deathloop the other day and they had a mix of rando vs fixed gear that worked. i did mostly use the silenced smg, which is a random drop, admittedly

I've said it before itt, but I just felt like Deathloop was less good Mooncrash.

My final run on Mooncrash was exhilarating and my final run on Deathloop was relieving; I was ready to be done and probably should have put the game down but didn't want to come back later and be like "how's this game work again?" and have to start over.

Mooncrash was a really, really, really good single player implementation of a Tarkov-like, and Deathloop seems like what happened after someone at Arkane tried to explain that to a Bethesda suit.

But yeah Arkane did a solid job of balancing fixed vs RNG gear in both. I'd still say Mooncrash did it better with the inter-run shop offering actual gear, but oh well.

We'll see if Redfall keeps it up but I'm getting more worried that it's gonna be open world Borderlands with "well that happened" humor.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

got into mtga for 15 minutes, but what it made me realize is that people are apparently paying like $1000 a piece for some physical cards i had in storage, so it turned into a money-making chore instead

As a boardgamer, MTG and Warhammer are both consistently mind-blowing. I could re-buy my whole group's whole collection for the price some of that poo poo goes for, and we've got a copy of Tainted Grail somewhere, Gloomhaven, multiple copies of Frosthaven (one of the group moved overseas), and Eclipse: Second Dawn.

Just for one card or model.

And both games are (as a rules lawyer myself) rules lawyering hellscapes.

I mean I do generally get it. If you like TCG or wargaming, that's what you play because they've each pretty much monopolized their respective genres. But still. Mind-blowing.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Sweevo posted:

hl1 is an amazing game, but people remember the start and the end and forget the ~30% in the middle full of jumping puzzles and tedious 90s fps bullshit

i played through it ~18 month ago for the first time in maybe 10-12 years and some of those middle sections just go on and on and on...

What you don't like the part where you shoot grunts? And then shoot more grunts? And then get your equipment taken away (90s fps!) and then shoot more. loving. Grunts?

I genuinely love half-life and only finally played it when I played a slew of classics in 2011 and 2012 (I also finally played System Shock 2, which I genuinely think does hold up, and Thief 2 then) but yeah it's very dated.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Truman Peyote posted:

don't forget the greatest couch multiplayer game ever made, Towerfall

I badly wish I could get people in on towerfall

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

quiggy posted:

children of goons be like "daddy i just want to play fortnite with my friends why are you making me play seiken densetsu 3 with a fan translation on your supernt instead"

The gbs reddit thread made fun of a reddit post that was nearly the same thing. Though, to be fair to our YosParent here, that post was more "be me" and less "I don't want my kid emotionally manipulated by bad actors".

I'm not a parent (yet) but I dunno. I get it but at the same time, Epic's bullshit in Fortnite is kinda the kiddie pool of scummy bullshit we see in _aaS nowadays. It's easier said than done as not a parent but it seems to me like conversations beat out avoidance.

They're gonna play the games one way or another. Just like the "my parents don't let me play m rated games" kid did when I was a tween and we were all playing Halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

lol

Heat Signature is very good

I forgot about that one. I should grab it on sale.