Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Uptime Sinclair posted:

“””obstacles””” in the first 15 mins of super metroid

the what thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
lol so what exactly are they missing? getitng "stuck' and not fully exploring the area to find the thing to beat to get the morph ball bomb, or beating it and getting that and not using the new ability to try getting out? mix of both across different people?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i am just now playing Baba Is You after leaving it on my wish list for too long, and this is cute and charming and i should have bought it a while ago

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
was looking at what things was well received at the time that i had never played, wihch works well under proton, and figured i could spend $5 on dead space

barely into it and oh man is this a late 00's game with the demeanor and proportions of the female character int he intro scene

its especially jarring after playing through Control twice

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
spore was super disappointing, it seemed super cool for it to be effectively 5 different games bolted together building off of your actions in each one, but that kind of backfirees when none of those 5 games are very good

metro exodus, on the other hand, was really enjoyable

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

dragon enthusiast posted:

it's cool as you go down the skill tree and gain the ability to pick up progressively larger objects, eventually including boss enemies

it is neat to see the videos of "it was really exciting when we got a voluteer to telekinetically move a pencil a few inches! maybe we can even move a cup in the future!" shortly after finishing a fight by pulling a chunk of concrete from a nearby wall and throwing it 10 meters at high velocity directly into somebodys head

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
picked up some old games on steam sale that i never played when they were new, including stalker shadow of chernobyl, figured this would work fine under proton on linux

it does, no question about that, but oh man the vulkan translated 3d rendering makes me think my gpu is going to catch on fire, the temp just keeps increasing and the fan kicks on full blast before long

like, i understand some weird stuff will happen, but this should not be very strenuous on a rtx 2080 ti

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
bought stardew valley, played a little bit, didnt grab me much yet, will try again later

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
now do organ trail

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i have played enough stardew valley to become absolutely hooked, unsurprisingly

it is amazing how much love and care went in to this game

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

tyranny rules and the story stuff is way better than the combat so whatever

betraying both armies and siding with the rebels is fun

yeah it was a good bit of world-building, it was a lot of fun and i have played through more than once

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Casual Encountess posted:

like i typically hate builder games because theyre frequently user hostile. ark sucked whole rear end, minecraft annoys me. i like qol things like factorios drone automation. i dont mind struggling initially, but it annoys me that in valheim i have to continuously fuel torches. its tiny poo poo like that. i know everything is in eternal beta but ark sucked because everything ultimately sucked to do

i wanted to like don't starve, but gently caress no, i cannot stand things like "collect 5 of resource A to make 1x resource B, 5x B to make 1xC, 5xC -> 1xD, 5xD -> 1xE", need 5xE to build this cool thing, so 5^6 of the basic resource

seriously gently caress needing exponential growth of one basic resource to do something neat, i didnt see a way around that in dont starve, but i could very easily be wrong

i saw the crafting recipes for transmuting copper -> iron -> gold bars in stardew valley and thought "oh no", but then i kept going deeper in the minds and was immensely relieved that i could just mine iron and gold ore directly

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
speaking of which mini metro is really neat and charming

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
picked up hellpoint on super sale, looked like a neat scifi setting and the description said the story was much fuller and more comprehensible than dark souls

have bounced off the combat a few times, i just do not enjoy that kind of gameplay

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

i hate the trend of developing a card or similar minigame inside of large games in order to get cool poo poo

in part because it's almost never really fully fleshed out

apparnetly people really liked gwent in witcher 3 and made physical card game versions of it (maybe? idk)

i was never even remotely interested in it and i ignored it completely and that did not cause me to miss out on anything in the witcher 3 game

best way to implement something like that

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

my stepdads beer posted:

afterwards I bought that snow survival game The Long Dark hoping for more but kept starving and freezing while throwing rocks at rabbits

i bought that on sale for a big percentage off during a sale of some sort, so i wasnt paying too much attention to any specific thing in my cart

i generally dont like open-ended survival games with no story in which the only point is to play until you die, so i spent a decent amount of time on the story mode of the long dark, and stopped playing before completing what parts of the story are even published (maybe 3/5 chapters last i knew?)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

after seeing it mentioned here i d/l'ed outer world and am givin' 'er a try

stealing seems to be super easy

the last several pages have mentioned outer wilds :raise:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
xcom2 is fantastic and the expansion makes it much better

worth playing the first time without the expansion though

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
id be tempted to pick up horizon zero dawn, but im seeing mixed things about it on protondb

there are games rated super good (doom eternal was one) that just didnt work at all for me, but i see a proton version 6.3 in steam now, so i might roll the dice and return it if it doesnt work

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i had to get a refund for horizon zero dawn since it was acting weird under proton during the intro cinematic after starting a new game, then it crashed later on still during that cutscene

i want to buy and play disco elysium and i guess i dont have a good excuse since rolling the dice with proton compatibility doesnt actually cost me anything if the answer is "no"

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

psiox posted:

nice, gog has a Very Good Game on sale, Control https://www.gog.com/game/control_ultimate_edition

also some saints row ones, which i never played but i know people have very positive opinions of- is there one that's worth playing the most?

control was the first remedy game i had played and the gunplay took some getting used to but the game is a goddamn masterpiece

e: and it works real good with a xbone controller with wireless dongle using https://github.com/medusalix/xow on linux running the game through proton, though rtx wasnt available due to lack of support for that in the direct3d (or whatever) translation, i guess vkd3d will help witht hat at some point but it isnt/wasnt done when i played through control

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 1, 2021

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i liked shadowrun dragonfall better than hong kong, but only because of some of the not-originally-in-the-game (directors cut? idk) content

glory's side mission was spectacular and contained some of my favorite video game music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxZY3dr-JoM (edit: lp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mikU9SKDe0, edit 2: wtf i didnt vet that before posting it, they made a big hosed-up choice, nevermind -- edit 3: this is what i meant to link to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRi3jTdTKkE&t=5041s)

i liked being able to side with vauclair and see exactly how killing off the dragons irreparably fucks over the entire world

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 27, 2021

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
shadowrun: okay after watching a video or two, including ones i linked to before knowing the actual content:

glory's special mission in dragonfall (redemption version) >> all of hong kong > the rest of dragonfall >>>>>> shadowrun returns

edit: too many edits: changed "all of hong kong ~= the rest of dragonfall" to "all of hong kong > the rest of dragonfall" above

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 27, 2021

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

shoeberto posted:

The story is pretty good, too, but it's mostly on the strength of its characters. The main plot is more or less just generic fantasy end-of-the-world stuff but it's a good excuse to run around a cool game world and meet fairly well fleshed-out NPCs.

i didnt have very high expectations but i was very impressed by how the writers pulled a ton of random plot threads together and gave a lot of side stories a satisfying conclusion, and how the story built on events of previous games in a way that felt natural

like in the first game the knowledge of how to make new witchers is obliterated in the siege of kaer morhen, which doesnt have much direct impact on games 1 or 2 except for trying to motivate the player with "this group burned down your home", but in 3 this kind of technique is the only way anyone can think of to break the enchantment on the elf, and you have to follow yennefer's instructions to get the ingredients, the other witchers are like "you arent supposed to know how to do this, witch"

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
hmm rimworld has been on my steam wishlist for a whlie, but never picked it up when it was on sale, think ill do that next time, i appreciate the native linux version

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
!

👁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWMhagfKycM

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i guess i should probably play outer wilds huh? everyone seems to react to it like subnautica

yes, absolutely

there arent many tips/hints appropriate to say before even starting it, but this one is worthwhile:

the default view of the ship log is by planet, but it also has a "rumor mode" view that connects information like

which can be way more useful in figuring out whats going on and what to do/explore next

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i figured id give doom eternal another try since its 75% off, it didnt work under the current proton release last time i bought it and i refunded it, it actually starts now

to get me to a "bethesda.net" account screen where i have to log in ... to the game? what the gently caress is this

~60% chance im going to refund it again

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

capitalism sows the seeds of its own destruction

i refunded doom eternal anyway, it crashed when i started a campaign after starting the game with network cable disconnected so i didnt have to log in to it

looked in to using apparmor to block network access but it seemed to be matched by executable path and afaik there kind of isnt one with wine executables, might keep looking into that for halo master chef collection, not at all interested in any of the garbage "community' stuff in that

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

i open palm slammed every quality slider up to max with tracing on and smoked a bowl and got through the first real mission of Control and holy gently caress what is this game it's so gorgeous and creepy. subwoofers recommended the sound is very good too

the combat and weirdness and world-building keep getting better as the game goes on too, its a masterpiece and im really glad remedy is making a direct (i guess?) sequel

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
steam in home streaming still has some issues in my experience

trying to stream outer wilds from my linux desktop running through proton, to my linux laptop, and have a xbone controller work through the streaming link, has not worked yet despite trying a few workarounds

not sure i restarted steam between one or two of those tweaks though

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

I use the Xbox streaming to my laptop or iPad all the time. easiest way to get evening play time in without disturbing the kiddo

yeah streaming works really well, recently found a workaround for what i mentioned a while ago (in some other thread? idk) about not being able to stream games run through proton and using vulkan d3d emulation, which is to switch my desktop resolution (normally 4k) to be the same as my laptop (1080p), that is great

but i have never managed to get a xbone controller connected to my laptop to work over the streaming link, playing outer wilds with keyboard + mouse is weird

fake edit:
this is loving spectacular

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’d never use it for data I care about. I have an unraid box with 8 drives in it for that. All I’d do is use it in raid 1 to load James even faster

yeah, use btrfs raid1 then, or i guess normal linux md raid1 if you want to use a worse filesystem like ext4 or xfs

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i was going to buy a switch a while ago but decided to wait for a potential hardware spec bump that afaik still never happened? id still buy one but the longer i wait the more i think "okay a switch+ or whatever might be even closer now!" and then still dont buy one

on a totally unrelated topic i wonder how well xbone controllers work with the emulators mentioned in that article

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

The Fool posted:

oh, it’s the dark souls guys

yeah, definitely don’t care

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
some friends of ours have a brand-new teenager, it was his birthday yesterday, he loves subnautica and i got him outer wilds as a birthday present, hopefully he likes it :)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
https://www.theonion.com/christ-article-a-video-1819595653

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
all of this is real good to know, thanks, also just bought hollow knight on a friends kid's reocmmendation when seeing it was 50% off on steam, i get the feeling a thirteen-year-old might have a lot more patience for grind-y combat

i am very much not a fan of dark souls and also bounced off of a sci-fi souls like game (hellpoint) so we will see how much i like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i am slightly ashamed to admit that i lost momentum with disco elysium, i very much enjoyed what i played and i think i got reasonably far (found a free place to sleep in the village) but dont feel an overwhelming compulsion to see how it ends like i expected