Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

This.

its not 2001 anymore and digital storesfront don’t run out of copies

even back then it was just the small gamestop/eb stores who pulled that "oh, no preorder? too bad, it's sold out everywhere". every time that happened i just went across the street to the big store and they had a small mountain of whatever came out that day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

did they actually manage to get the psu inside this time or does the mini tower still need a huge external brick?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i just realized they put the main vents for those things on top. i'm sure that's going to work well when little ~*xXxMunkySpunkxXx*~ throws a week's worth of dirty laundry on top of it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bored Online posted:

its a trashcan mac pro

i was thinking more along the lines of the toaster g4. it probably looked great to some industrial designer, but given a flat surface people will put things on it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

So the 3080s "went on sale" at 6am this morning and sold out in less than one minute on every site. It sounds like approximately zero normal people were able to buy one.

Apparently plenty of scalper bots managed to snap them up, though, because they're already available on eBay for double the msrp, and it sounds like all the shrieking gamer ~influencers~ also have theirs set aside and on the way

Everything working as intended

it seems that now a bunch of people are making fake ebay accounts to bid things up to ridiculous levels and not pay

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What does that accomplish (I have no idea how the Ebay works)?

it makes things annoying for the scalpers as they have to go though the trouble of filing a non-paying bidder dispute and waiting for ebay to cancel the transaction. the couple of times i've had to deal with that due to nigerian scammers buying whatever i was selling, i don't think ebay refunded the listing fee

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

microsoft now owns commander keen

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

In the last five years the only single player games I’ve played for longer than fifteen minutes were terraria and subnautica

games are more fun with pals

the last time i had fun with multiplayer was in college with dedicated campus-only counterstrike and q3 servers. coordinating strategy with your roommate in cs when one of you is dead and the other is the last opposing force in the game was fun as hell, although not quite as much as fun winding down a day and then getting together with the other people playing at a local bar or weekend party (hey, so and so is having a house party, everyone come on over).

idgaf about playing with randos on the internet, it just isn't the same

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

Anyway lol if you buy a console and double lol if you buy a launch unit to play launch titles.

launch titles now are just fancier versions of titles currently in development with the invisible graphics sliders moved up a notch. it's not like 15+ years ago when the hardware was completely redesigned every few years and everyone had to restart from square one

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

ive got the Cursed King one but I can't get over how loving bad the Dragon Ball guy's art is lmao.

i was in gamestop once years ago and some kid was all "lookit ma i want this" and the mum took the game and put it back on the shelf and said "i'm not sure we want anything with a cursed king!"

8 was the only one i played since nintendo gave the first one away for free, and it still clings to a lot of old mechanics that are just frustrating, like having to trudge all the way to a priest to save the game and taking half of your money when you die. it's pretty grindy too, like everything else that level 5 makes

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Xaris posted:

how well does it work over bluetooth? I like my DS4 but bluetooth has been... iffy on it. that may just be my cheapo bluetooth usb dongle

those usb bluetooth dongles are crap. you need something with an actual antenna

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

dishonored is to thief as prey is to system shock 2 and both are really good. dishonored 2 is the better game, but it helps to play the first one to get the hang of the mechanics (and there is a continuing story, so)

having just replayed thief 2 again on expert mode, dishonored is not in the vein of thief. maybe the dystopian victorian city asthetic is similar, but that's it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol console gaming

in what should be no surprise to anyone, turning on the raytracing stuff absolutely murders performance even on $1500 video cards

even with it off, you apparently need to spend at least $1k on a gpu to get 60fps most of the time at 1440p

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 9, 2020

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

if they were smart they would have had sony and microsoft give them $$$$ to not release it on ps4/xbone to encourage upgrades

yeah, but then they would sell a whole 50 copies to the people who own those systems to play games and aren't just trying to resell them

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

uhm my entire identity is based on hyping up whatever the latest poo poo is and demanding to be first to spend the most money on it then endlessly complaining about how it's bad until the next thing is out

this should be the first definition in the dictionary next to the word 'nerd'

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah but other Nintendo games for the GC had very detailed graphics that looked a mess on my TV. Like Space Fox and Meteoroid Prime.

metroid prime legit looks great at 4k in dolphin

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

your laughter is making cdpr's number sad

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

lol number go down

i'm still curious as to how it passed console certification when they fail titles for things like "game freezes 1/10 times when repeatedly plugging and unplugging an obscure japanese fishing controller while loading level 3" or not using the exact nomenclature when telling people not to turn off the system when saving to their Playstation 2 Memory Card (8MB)™, yet lights designed to induce seizures, textures not loading and dongs clipping through pants are just fine

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

you are aware that sony is a japanese company right

ever since that pokemon show (or another cartoon designed to sell toys i forget) gave people seizures 20-something years ago they actually seem to take that stuff seriously. when they started re-releasing nes titles on the wii vc, some games notably had bright, full-screen flashing effects hacked out

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

echinopsis posted:

on a different note slightly.. i play the game with a ps4 controller. i have it plugged in and in the game it calls it wireless controller. if i unplug it and use bluetooth, i can see it connected to windows but the game refuses to see it. so i can’t play it wirelessly. i’ll live

windows gamepad support outside of the xbox controller is very bad as is their bluetooth stack. there is software that makes the playstation controllers show up as xinput devices, but in proper windows fashion it involves going to message boards and downloading weird 3rd party software that installs a service and takes over the bluetooth device so it can't be used with anything else

the playstation controllers aren't blameless though. the original revision of the ds4 sends an out-of-spec bluetooth pairing packet and doesn't (didn't?) work at all with macs and bluez needed to add a device specific hack for it

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 31, 2020

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

there's a whole generation of people who have only ever played 16 bit and previous games on emulators. they don't understand aspect ratios or accurate sound

ym2612 emulation in general was really bad until about a decade ago when some internal yamaha docs were leaked

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

which psx core will let me change render resolution in retroarch? the pcsx one won’t

beetle psx hw

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

bump_fn posted:

soul calibur, crazy taxi, bangai-o (which can make emulators lsow to a crawl lmao)... lotta good games

also shenmue, which caused every game for the next decade to be infected with qtes

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

There were video computer games before Pong, but it's probably fair to discount those since they predated home computers.

The Magnavox Odyssey was the first real video game console, i.e. a box with controllers that you plug into your TV to play a game, and it came out in 1972.

the odyssey basically just moves dots around on the screen and many of the games they dreamed up for it are a real stretch

the fairchild channel f in 1976 had a microprocessor, cartridges and games that actually looked and played like games

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

i remember playing a multiplayer slideshow of quake on a 28k modem and it blew my loving mind as a kid

my early memories of quake all involve the turtle in the corner because i was on a 486 that could barely run it. i did manage to get the beame & whiteside dos tcp/ip stack working for multiplayer, only to lose badly because the computer was so slow

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

pushing the mouse or stick forward moves a computer cursor up just like it makes the targeting reticle in an fps/tps moves up in space you maniac

Endless Mike posted:

you're moving a reticle on a screen not flying a plane, dude. whatever works for someone is correct because bideo james aren't planes. there's certainly an objective correct for flying planes, but most of us aren't bougie college professors to have that experience

e: this is harsher than was warranted, so i apologize, sagebrush

RustyKnight posted:

this, everybody who says poo poo about tilting head or something is making poo poo up, it's just a preference and I like it this way, no way is better it probably is based on way you tought yourself to use first, which in my case was on old pc where I would logically use it like my mouse cursor

e: i like to play flight sims and space sims and claim about camera movement === plane movment is equal bullshit to me

:wrong: × ∞

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

this is the first time that i remembered mistwalker even existed since they released those awful rpgs shortly after the 360 came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHZrBUimuY

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Metal Gear Solid's (a.k.a. Buttock Man) fight against Old Sniper Dude With A Parrot.

that would have been 100x easier if the ps2 version wasn't running at 240p, because then you could actually see the guy. they must have realized that because they made the guy die of natural causes if you got frustrated and left the game for a few days

the camera in general made the original release of that game nearly unplayable

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

when it comes to dialects, some can be so esoteric that, even though people are technically speaking the same language, they can barely understand each other until they switch to a 'neutral' dialect

english is no exception: years ago we saw some scottish movie about drug dealers and they had to subtitle it despite it being an english language movie being shown in an english speaking country because the accents were so thick that every sentence sounded like "eeh widda wii, bidda bii fook oof"

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

haveblue posted:

was it trainspotting?

no, it was called sweet sixteen. nothing notable about it aside from the dialog being unintelligible

it also took us a while to figure out that whenever they talked about ‘gear’ it was slang for drugs

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

shoeberto posted:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/
It's sort of irrational but I'm really happy Valve was able to make this.

an amd x64 chip in a portable? it's going to be a hand warmer with lovely battery life

e: their alleged battery life of 2-8 hours is still theoretically better than a switch though

Sagebrush posted:

i misread this as "love valve hardware" and was like hoo boy

their vr hardware is actually good, although it's priced accordingly

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 15, 2021

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

shoeberto posted:

I actually really like the Steam Controller.

Also, I have a "steam machine"-ish build. Steam BPM running on Linux, with all my games running via Proton/SteamPlay. It works really well.

I'm just happy for them because they've had a lot of failures in iterating on these ideas, and I think they're actually in a position to make this work.

the steam controller is the only controller that i didn't totally hate playing fps games with

the biggest problem with the steamboxes was trying to shove linux down developers' throats when it was absolutely not ready. video drivers ranged from mediocre (nvidia) to unbelievably, abysmally, "did anyone actually try this?" bad (amd). the only native video api was opengl, which was also outdated, bad and had terrible tooling. things are different now and if you tried the initial push again you might see different results, but they already burned that bridge

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

shoeberto posted:

That's the thing now with SteamPlay, there really isn't much for devs to do. I guess maybe QA it to make sure the Windows version runs fine? I think Valve really saw the writing on the wall with the previous push and figured it's easier to make Wine not suck than it is to get devs to commit to Linux ports.

that, and it's the easiest way to get the entire back catalog running on day one as getting companies to port every random title from the last 20 years isn't happening

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

It will probably never achieve the power-(i.e. battery life)-to-performance ratio of the switch because the games are not specifically optimized for the hardware.

neither are many switch games, i think breath of the wild kills the battery in just over 2 hours

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

i am cautiously optimistic about the streamed eck mostly because it makes all the right people mad

almost all the right people

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1415755678849900546

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Beat uncharted 1 and 2, moving on to 3 now. The rise in quality in each game is pretty cool.

I hate the large set piece battles towards the later portions of both games as the gunplay really sucks and you a lot of the times I end up in situations where I get cornered and then die to people shooting me from everywhere.

there's a lot of bullshit in those games along the lines of enemies spawning behind you from out of nowhere and the combat sections going on for way too long, which you generally have to play multiple times after one of the aforementioned bullshit spawns that instantly kills you because you either can't see them, or you can, but your character turns like his feet are set in concrete. the antagonists in those games are like cobra from gi joe, where these evil organizations seemingly have endless manpower and unlimited resources

i forget if it was 2 or 3 that had the part where you run from a collapsing tower, but you have to run towards the camera not being able to see where you are going, because a team of 50 people probably spent a month animating that sequence, and you do get to see it, over and over again, because deviating from the invisible path that you can't see and the game gives you no hints about, being even slightly too slow, or trying to move the camera so that you can see where you are going causes you to instantly die even though nothing hit you

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

far cry 6 is just more far cry. if you played 4 or 5 anytime in the same year and didn't think "hey i wish this game was longer", don't bother with 6.

every far cry sequel has basically been "just more far cry" since they rebooted the series with 2. travel around an open arena, kill endless swarms of the same clone of a solider, and do lots of samey filler missions until the game lets you do one that advances the plot

which isn't to say they aren't fun in their own right, but at this point i only get them when they are deeply discounted. the benefit of having a huge backlog

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

the far cry off-sequels are where the money's at. new dawn and blood dragon in particular

yeah, blood dragon was rad

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

President Beep posted:

is this dlc or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_QALYYUywM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

RokosCockatrice posted:

oot and mario 64 are on the switch virtual console thing? god drat it, I stopped paying attention years ago when they were strictly NES titles only

mario 64 was on the wii vc the same day that the wii was released, and zelda oot came along a couple of months later