Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://twitter.com/PinkNews/status/1281286243372810242

a 'yikes' so low its only a speaker-vibrating burr

the responses to this tweet

phew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

playing some warhammer tw 3 and goddamn do the tower defense quests suck i hope they unlock the normal grand campaign soon

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Dork Tower :smaug:

dudes still churning out webcomics despite probably being a millionaire from his munchkin money

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

doing luna nights a disservice by implying it is in the same category as most touhou games, it is way more accessible (and imo fun and good)

is it kinda like a metroidvania/megaman with more shumpsy weapony?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i wonder how long disney will let them go before putting a gun to nomuras head like they had to do to get kh3 released

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i spent some time playing Outpost over the weekend. it has a reputation for being buggy and unfinished, but i remember playing it as a kid, so i was really curious to see what i was forgetting.

basically while there are still some clearly unfinished/unimplemented features, the game itself is actually quite playable, it's mostly just hobbled by an obtuse interface. just adding meaningful reports about total resources in/out/stored would go a long, long way to making it better. granted i was playing version 1.5, which i understand was substantially improved over the initial release, so maybe 1.0 really was unplayably bad.

part of me wonders how much of the missing functionality was due to struggling to implement it within the hardware constraints of the era; i saw a note that the 1.5 patch bumps the system requirements of the game to a whole *eight megabytes* of RAM. but then, i also wonder if there was a lot of struggling just to get the game to semi-reliably function in the first place; I've heard that writing games for windows 3.x was *intensely* challenging because the environment was just so much less predictable

don't get me wrong, i wouldn't pay money for it today. and i can absolutely understand why people felt robbed when they bought it back in the 90s. but there is actually a kernel of a neat game in there. the thing that weirdly fascinates me is how Surviving Mars chose to make everything happen on the surface, whereas Outpost *requires* the player to dig out subsurface levels for habitation and light industry, leaving the hostile surface for heavy industry. i totally understand why Surviving Mars went the direction it did, but there have been times playing Surviving Mars when i've wished i could expand down instead of out.

yeah its got enough fun. i think the unimplemented parts are the monorails and the second colony.

i got hours of entertainment just selecting stars to go to while Mars played.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i use gog galaxy because its a nicer way to launch my non steam games

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

square enix always had a massive ego problem with their western studios outperforming their less appealing japanese stuff that they strongly believe should be very very important, like dragon quest and whatever the gently caress final fantasy even is at this point. seems like their chief dipshit got into crypto. it's amazing how publicly listed companies allow their executives to act this irrationally, to stab their own eye (or in this case, IOI) to spite their face but it seems to happen all the time?

if deus ex or tomb raider wanted to be treated like a flagship product maybe it should have shipped as a 60% completed game with a million incomprehensible expansions????

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i picked up iron oath and despite it being in ea and far from finished i burned through the entire amount of stuff that was there in two nights

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

pathfinder is great

their game is bad

idk if the new one is less "spend 90% of your time on a world map camping"

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

yeah tried it and its not working for me. maybe they'll patch it someday

it wanst launching for me and a reboot worked, but i assume that's just the xbox app being rear end

otherwise its fine for me

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

i feel like paying that kind of money for a video card is like owning a $300 pair of jeans. sure you can do it, but it makes more sense to not do that. just get a console or play on lower settings

keeping my video card in the freezer so i don't ruin it

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

i picked up endless legend again. there’s like 6 expansions since I last played. this game comforts me

probably will always be better than humankind which remains extraordinarily underwhelming

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

is it actually on gamep rear end or is it one of those ea games that makes you use their lovely launcher

the worst thing about it is that it has sim city 2000 but the DOS version not the superior windows version

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

kicks you into ea launcher yeah. never actually bothered playing a game on there, but seems pretty minimal effort if one actually wants one of the game.

I have tried but most of the time i have tried installing anything it just locks up which is about the level of usability i expect from EA. it worked before i went to windows 11 so i'm guessing thats the problem

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

my catgirl summoner is level 41 now and i'm having a lot of fun playing ffxiv. Did you know that the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV has a free trial, and includes the entirety of A Realm Reborn AND the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 with no restrictions on playtime? Sign up, and enjoy Eorzea today!

i avoided playing it for the longest time because the one friend who shared screenshots played with the gamma cranked up to make so everything looked like poo poo. its very nice looking when you have a 120hz monitor and also have enough friends playing to avoid pubbies or, even worse, "expert" players

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Oneiros posted:

iirc it comes like that by default and also the lighting is loving terrible ancient so if you don't crank it and if your character fails the paper bag test then you'll be replaced with a pitch black void with eyes in a lot of cutscenes

i didn't start playing until last year and my brown human looks fine. I tried making a dark red dragon and it just looks weird in a lot of the lights, but maybe it just doesn't play nice with non-realistic skin colors.

my friend plays the big lion people so she's got all sorts of problems with them (hardcoded hair :rubby:)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

grats they really step on the gas once you finish ARR.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

YoshiP just wants us all to go enjoy independence day

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Zlodo posted:

Also gating the cutscenes explaining how the Andromeda colonization project came about in relation to the events of the previous mass effect game behind some bullshit open world collection minigame

But the real problem imo is that they were too timid with the story, probably because they didn't want to repeat the issue of the first trilogy of revealing almost everything in the first episode which probably made it difficult to followup. So you have your decoy antagonists like the geth (the kett), you have some god like "good guy" precursors (the remnants), you have some galaxy-wide fuckup that hints at the existence of a bigger picture ultra powerful, reaper grade antagonist but it kinda stops as that with a big cliffhanger and nothing gets resolved, and after dealing with all that diluted open world bullshit that's just not enough story telling payoff.

The first mass effect game was so good because it was designed to stand on its own, probably because the only reason Microsoft funded its development was to sell Xboxes and they were never interested in making sequels

I kinda liked the backstory to the big bad you get reading the kett datapads The kett senate is furious at archon because he's gone silent and stopped reporting back, implying he's gone off script with their gene stealing

I also played with french on which improved the experience on the whole, imo. Krogans speaking french sounds very natural.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Having big fun with beyond the storm.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

i liked pretty much all of them up until 13 and 15, never played the mmos

15 is a ton of fun until they literally put you on rails

because they ran out of money lmao

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

10 has a great place where you cam just stop if you arent vibing with it. Yuna even says “this upcoming section is a long boring slog where many people give up”

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What was the part that FFX slowed down at? I thought it was a fairly well paced game. It's a JRPG, the story is supposed to be 20+ hours.

thunder plains, its not that it slows down there but yuna just coming out and saying that wouldnt help someone who wasn’t used to jrpg pacing’s motivation

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

susan b buffering posted:

Yeah you use the duty finder to queue up, or if trusts/duty support are implemented for the dungeon you can run it with NPCs.

You can do trust for all the dungeons now! For the pre-shadowbringers dungeons you just get some rando soldier npcs. Pretty much raids and trials are the only things you need to find friends for anymore.

So now your squadron can just hang around being even more worthless because they didn't backport the trust ai to them

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

RokosCockatrice posted:

Long love godot

lol guess it's time to move to that or unreal

the unreal person generator does seem neat

c++ less so

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Chrono, Merle, and Lucca. Starting three to the end (of all time and existance)

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hbag posted:

COUGHbuytheoneiplaytestedCOUGH

:nice:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im excited for when silksong comes out shortly before global warming causes the extinction of the human race

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

he;ll yeah

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

MrQueasy posted:

It could be worse, you could have dropped into hyperfocus and stayed up until 4am playing Super Auto Pets.

i will make this sloth get to level three

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

i'm more and more impressed by this game and the work everyone puts into it both from the creators and the community

as long as you don't put your rule breaking on a billboard

about to do the shadowbringers final and have been digging the expansion more in the back half then the front half

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

game pass games do not like my 8bitdo at all, so i still use an old 360 controller and the 8bitdo gets used for playing steam games on my ipad

Jonny 290 posted:

think i might have a problem ???

https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1557589645147324417

is this me going full weeb

youll be truly lost when you buy all the artbooks for the minions and glams contained within

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i play all my game pass stuff with an 8bitdo, version difference maybe?

possibly. maybe it depends on the game? I tried it on a few and it gave me the wildest button mappings and nothing i did seemed to fix it so I just gave up

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

someone should pay him to add on the final line

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gnossiennes posted:

i got all my ff14 classes to 80 (and later 90 post-endwalker) during my pandemic wfh time, and i ran prae daily for jobs i didn't like playing. i used the cutscenes time to get actual work done lol

i finished all my leveling before the prae/cm changes tho, so i have no idea what they're like now :(

how very glib

Prae is mostly the same, other than now being 4 man and not needing to beat up ultima/lahabrea so it shaves a good 10 minutes off of it? they also added more modern attack telegraphs

Castrum oriens is the one that got really trimmed down. its a lot different and you dont have to wait for sid's slow rear end to walk across the entire huge map

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

haveblue posted:

*as gentle as death by supernova can be at least. and there are far worse ways you can die

like seeing how close to the sun you can get. turns out not close enough to try and land on the sun station

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

haveblue posted:

I’ll just say it all comes together in the end. almost everyone who finishes outer wilds figures it all out into a coherent narrative and there are no glaring loose ends

I never figured out Why the nomai died but i never made it all the way through the comet to get the answer and just looked it up after the end

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

is it as bad as that warcraft 3 remaster that hosed the game up?

i think it was mostly an upscale unlike whatever happened to WCIII

it's free so what's the worst that could happen

Myth II

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

outer wilds final update so i'll stop making GBS threads up the thread

like most people i kind of got tired of dealing with ash twin's bullshit and just looked up how to get into the core. ehh. the hourglass twins are a major and fundamental gameplay flaw in what is otherwise a good game and they really should have been scrapped and taken back to the drawing board. i understand what they were going for but it just doesn't hit. i should probably have been more persistent in trying to get into the comet as well because it wasn't exactly difficult but i had the broke brained idea that it was related to the dlc due to its general disconnectedness. which is entirely on me and i screwed myself badly on that one. in the process of kinda giving up and looking stuff up at random i was robbed of the realizations that would have hit at the sun station and the comet core, which would have been nice to encounter organically.

the final mission was nice and atmospheric with that arrangement of the doom melody playing in the background, although i died to angler fish bullshit in the runup to the red node three or four times, which kind of deflated the mood somewhat. despite doing a single uneventful practice run beforehand for my own amusement. that and i had to reset a couple of times because i messed up the timing around jumping into the teleporter out of the sand tornado, which is frustrating and totally arbitrary, but see the general complaint about hourglass twins above.

the ending sequence was nice and sweet, although nobody warned me that it was about as long as an entire loop in its own right lol. indie games have a bad tendency toward ham-handed melodrama but this ending was masterfully and tastefully understated while still being impactful. it didn't move me to tears or leave a tremendous impact on me or anything but i appreciated it and thought it was well done. headbutting the proto-universe to start it off was a bit of an odd final choice of in-game action though.

so yeah i liked this game. i don't have any particular desire to play it again with my memory wiped and i don't rate it as being incredible, goty etc like a lot of people itt but i think that's just down to my own preferences ultimately. it's pretty heavy on the environmental horror and existential dread and with the state of, well, *gestures vaguely* that's just not really something i enjoy or seek out these days even if i can appreciate the work on its artistic merits, several aforementioned gameplay asterisks notwithstanding. the puzzle aspect of things was fun. i guess it gets compared to subnautica a lot, i'd say i marginally preferred subnautica.

i didn't do the dlc. i'll let this game rest a bit then come back to it later and give the dlc a go. the base game was a fun way to spend a weekend-and-change.

re: hourglass twins

somewhere there are logs talking about how the technology works and what happens if you gently caress it it and then somewhere else it talks about how the ember twin tower is a little out of alignment. i agree it's a little bit of a stretch and if you aren't voraciously consuming the logs it's easy to get into the situation you are in. i was mostly annoyed because i couldn't find the pad and then realized i had to deal with the cactus bullshit