Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Stardew Valley has like a quarter-million Steam reviews and seems to be the best-liked game ever made, what's so wonderful about it?

chill second-screen game which is sweet in how you can tell that it is a one-man passion project specifically for that niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'm going to play death stranding out of principle, it seems very much to be in the tradition of the lets-spend-millions-seeing-where-this-guys-vision-goes era of hollywood.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the last games I gave a poo poo about the characters in are night in the woods and disco elysium

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I just meant game over. I ran out of morale and didn’t understand what happened at the time

also i don't think the game clearly tells you this, but: as you hit zero in morale/health you have like 2-3 seconds to hit the button to use a healing item to prevent death. which is pretty kind really.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Worms WMD is basically the remaster/anniversary edition of Armageddon and it's real good.

I feel like this patch is primarily for the ultra grognards who won't shut up about the ninja rope physics in wmd being marginally different than they were in w:a

seeing how it is made by ultra grognards editing the binaries, yeah, good bet.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fall guys is just the netflix effect finally happening to console subscriptions, getting launched by the network effect of having everyone grab it off ps plus to have the gamer equivalent of water cooler talk.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as punishing it is, Diabotical is a really charming attempt to allow a soft entry into a q3a clone. i have played a couple of rounds with way better friends each night since it released, and have found it a nice little adrenaline peak to wrap up the active part of the evening on.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sweevo posted:

FF7 and FF9 are the only good FF games.

certainly the only ones worth considering playing in present-day. for its exact moment in time ff6 was kind of a proto-7 in how much rather crazy poo poo they crammed into it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

if you ever die in a single player game you are a failure and a child

i don't make the rules

effective immortality, even if as a failure, sounds pretty good.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

bounced pretty hard off botw but i have a habit of only playing switch in handheld mode, maybe it’s one of the games that really benefits from tv screen?

not really no, i played most of it handheld. does need a pretty relaxed mood to be enjoyed though, so may still be a matter of how you're playing it rather than the game not being for you.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

remember when you could get banned for mentioning :filez:

remember when :filez: was the primary use-case for the forums?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i gave up baba but finished obra dinn. the latter might not grip you fully yet, but as the story kicks in a bit it gets a bit more fulfilling to keep id'ing the people.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

weren't the 3080 and the 3080ti announced together

also isn't the ti like 2x the price because it has way more ram than anyone will ever use

i bought a 2060 super a year ago, and it was only last month i discovered that one of the ram chips on it is bad, and likely was bad all along. turns out the driver quite reliably allocates memory from lower to higher physical addresses, and the broken chip was gigabyte 6 out of 8. the only reason i discovered it was that i got two 4k monitors and apparently finally needed more than 62% of the memory i paid for.

since it feels a huge waste to send it back (i presume they just toss them in a bin after verifying they are indeed faulty) i wrote a little cuda program which runs on wake and allocates all the memory it can get, checks if it seems to store some random junk correctly, and frees any that is fine. turns out i just have way more vram than i need anyway.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

the plot makes sense because it’s the greek gods and they were famously insanely dumb and horny - that’s why people like them so much it’s like real people

was going to say, i haven't played it, but the description sure sounds like a greek drama sort of thing. a bunch of human drama that makes sense only in isolation, a broader framework with no logic whatsoever, and things magical closure at the end.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

red dead redemption 2 should work great for just about any old.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the switch pro controller is the best.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

o/~ thaaat's twiitter o/~

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Fanatical have CONTROL on for a good deal the next 23hrs, well worth it at this price

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/control-ultimate-edition

also DEATH STRANDING which I may pick up.

since others also may not have heard of this place: apparently it is steam keys and non-scammy.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

in what should be no surprise to anyone, turning on the raytracing stuff absolutely murders performance even on $1500 video cards

to some extent i think this was always the point with rtx. it doesn't matter that it doesn't even look *that* interesting, but we have another 10 generations of voodoo1-era performance gains to chase as it turns out the amount of rays needed to achieve the full effect is truly monstrous.

without having to grow the costs of assets 1000x importantly.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also even with the current whining they're likely to get the botw effect where half the people buying it on the previous gen end up rebuying it on the new gen in a year or two.

no way this kind of game actually underperforms in 2020.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

i tried playing disco eljizziam and I think i’m too fuckin stupid to enjoy it

keep trying a bit, it is not a game that particularly cares if you hyperfocus on the details. if you keep playing and skimming what seems irrelevant you'll soon run into something you find genuinely cool

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

that’s an extremely cool and also extremely Nintendo thing to do. reuse your character creator from two console generations ago that’s been honed to make semi-realistic randomized characters and use it to fill your flagship release-day game with NPC’s on your new console

certainly better than being bethseda, expending 300x the effort while getting npcs who all look like they had their face replaced by a factory-reject halloween mask.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

1978-1980 is kind of a sweet spot for the birth of recognizably "proper" games though. space invaders, more complex home games like adventure on the 2600, zork, mud1 and rogue on the computer side.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, a little bit of coffee improves not only sweets, but a lot of spice mixes and marinades. definitely one of those where if you can pick the flavour out you have hosed up though.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

man, those are some pretty screenshots. good thing i had this guy warn me that it was being made by the people behind some of the most boring games ever conceived, or i might have tried it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

most games are too cowardly to make goodness the consistently suboptimal approach is realistically ought to be. maybe only disco elysium and tyranny come to mind as counterexamples (but i haven't yet played either)

the only thing truly on a moral spectrum and suboptimal in disco elysium is the state of the world. and it was broken before you got there.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if only. just look forward to every game in 2023 having every character be a perfect machine-learnt statistical mean of a person.

not that that will be very different from a lot of games already.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

it's when you approach the game and put all of your energy into trying to optimize your numbers output by some arbitrary point of progress

just started playing divinity 2, and got suckered into a higher difficulty by people online saying that the standard difficulty was pretty easy. immediately struggling i read a bit more, and found that the higher difficulty are easy *if* you correctly pick one of the approved and correct munchkin builds, rather than just picking stuff what seems cool and thematic the way i did.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

presumably any piracy on switch runs the risk of getting you banned from switch online, which would take away tetris 99, and no game is worth that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

digital switch game taste of *nothing*. such a bad deal.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

imo the most embarrassing thing about dota is when gaben flashed his gut in front of tens of thousands of people at the 2018 international (it happens in the first 10 seconds no need to watch the whole thing unless you like dota and gaben idk):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4xYOmUwad0

he appeared again at the 2019 international but only showed a sliver of gut so i guess he learnt from his error

the dpc format has made watching dota a treat though. people who are only pros in name getting a shot, trying wacky things. division 2 is where it is all at.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

TimWinter posted:

A lot of the whodunnits were resolved as senseless, blameless accidents of fate, from the ultimate killer being just a brain numbed vet, to the protagonist being someone who really did just break under the pressure and in a semisuicidal binge drinking episode lose their past.

the identity of the killer was kind of deflating coming at it with hollywood expectations, but it grew on me very quickly as yet another pointless echoing violent spasm of the failed revolution, which is a pretty core theme for the game. very with the "nothing matters" zeitgeist really.

de is great.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also people who think it was too short, which for most of us lazy old people is actually a pretty clear-cut advantage.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

they kind of have to, because man game pass (on pc in my case) is a pretty sweet deal for playing a bit of everything as things stand.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

nintendo just needs to make another advance wars to scratch my turn-based strategy itch.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Fool posted:

wargroove is good

it's *fairly* good, but playing through it right now is precisely what is making me wish for another advance wars.

in all flavour wargroove is superior, but they mess with the formula in making it a bit less puzzly and more of a slog. too many units being sort of OK against others where advance wars has a really hardcore rock-paper-scissor thing with very decisive wins to each tiny skirmish. add to that capping villages doing damage to the unit, and all maps being quite large, making levels drag out with a ton of damaged units of greatly diminished usefulness cluttering your map.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all problems in p and np are discrete in every sense that matters, *unary* knapsack is in p.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ah, my bad!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

disco elysium feels like a pen and paper rpg session with a bunch of drunk people

that’s not an experience I’ve actually had IRL but I’m sure it would be very familiar

i am incredibly jealous of how interesting the people you hang out with on the regular must be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Windows Mixed Reality is atrociously designed buggy garbage for everything except the core VR system. Shocking coming from noted high-quality software house Microsoft, I know. Just everything about the whole experience from WMR to Steam VR to Alyx itself is completely devoid of explanations and is a multi-hour puzzle in its own right.

I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to play this sitting down or standing up or what, everything was around shin-height when I tried it standing. I set the movement to full iron stomach COME AT ME BRO mode and it definitely took me a little bit of time to learn to suppress the vertigo from the continuous movement mode. Then I encountered a wall I'm clearly supposed to vault over, saw an explanatory popup in the corner of my eye for half a second, couldn't get over the wall at all, then a minute later the game crashed. A+ experience.

It is amazingly smooth and pretty though, especially considering my PC isn't exactly top of the line. I bought the super duper high resolution HP headset.

e: figured a few more things out, this is pretty neat

the windows vr/ar/mr stuff seems real clearly to be some high-up executive being really excited about that dumb poo poo for precisely 6 months, enough to drive having to do some half-assed implementations but not enough to make anything good or relevant. not that it is clear it is an area where anything good or relevant *could* be made.