Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
james status: just got an abernic RG503 in the mail. loving owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
lol the RG503 came with a vice city stories rom

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

RG503 status: steam remote play works really well?? tbh impressed with this thing. played a lil jet grind radio and sonic adventure too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

dioxazine posted:

understanding the concept of love can be tough, but worthwhile

tbf i think that's sonic adventure 2, brought to you by Soaps

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What the heck was up with calling it Grind in the US anyway? Does "jet set" mean something rude in American?

nah, although "jet setter" has a bougie vibe to it

i think sega was just all in on the edgy skateboarding craze back then and rollerblades were comparatively lame

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Anyway JSR is a good game and I wish I was better at it. (I know it's not hard, I just suck at action games.)

it's fun as heck and actually hasn't aged that badly, especially if you use some shaders (RG503 uses some sort of retroarch + kodi frontend). tbf they did call the xbox-only sequel "jet set radio future", which was also baller

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

personally i just blame ron howard. for everything

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

(nsfw) https://i.imgur.com/3BOkdcX.png

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

UT sucks, I'll quake 3 1on1 you lmao

just kramering in here to say UT > q3a

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

goddamn i miss ut2004. i tried to pick it up again last year and no one was playing. :smith:

lol, i tested quake 4 and got a free copy as a result. like 4 days after release there was nobody playing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

yeah it goes kinda like this AFAICT:

normally a year of PS+ costs $50 (made up number)

sometimes there’s a sale and a year costs $40

people would buy, say, 3 years of + during this sale, saving $30

now Sony introduces a new premium tier of plus that costs $60 per year. people want to try it, including people who bought multiple discount years

if you already banked 3 years of + at $40 and want to try premium, Sony wants you to pay $30 (the extra $10 per year from the price rising to $60) and then another $30 (to undo the $10 per year you originally saved)

SaaSafras

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

i dont understand how having a bill that renews every month by itself is easier than one that renews once a year by itself

it's helpful if you don't have enough to pay up front or aren't sure you want a full year :confused:

e: i mean granted in the first scenario paying for video games is probably not the best use of that money but still

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 25, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

FMguru posted:

looks like this weeks free game at the epic game store is the bioshock:the collection

poo poo that kinda owns

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol drat i just got a 25% off coupon for claiming it too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

i wish i liked bioshock 2 and its dlc as much as a lot of people did. i tried the dlc when it hit ps+ as a remaster and... it's just not a good shootmans at this point

neither was the bioshock infinite dlc

i had the original on 360 only and i don't really care about the rest, that's gonna be a fun replay

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Boody posted:

xbox one controller d-pad isn't great for playing most of these. anyone got a recommendation for an alternative that works on the xbox/pc or is the only option for the xbox a switch compatible controller and a brook wingman adaptor?

you can pair the switch pro controller with a pc very easily?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

does anyone have experience using emuelec?

i'm trying to get some scummvm poo poo to work but the instructions are pretty unhelpful, it just says to save it with a .scummvm extension in a named folder. well, okay, rename what? an iso? zip?

i just wanna play monkey island and hugos house of horrors :smith:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

just get a thumby instead

the switch is absolutely too big to be portable outside of the house. i have massive hands and imo it's still too big. i've never seen a steam deck irl but that just seems ridiculous

the anbernic thing i posted about earlier is a pretty good size imo (the laptop is 12", for reference):

but i probably still wouldn't use it on the subway or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

looking like a stuffy professor already the switch (beyond being a nice hassle-free way of playing some games) at most humanizes me in public, where showing up with a vintage 80s device or random alibaba garbage is sure to make me look like a loon.

i mean i could definitely see myself bringing it on a flight or something, but just plopping down in a park or whatever to play it? oh hell no lol

for cheap garbage it's pretty nice i think, i paid $110 for it. metal case, OLED, good joysticks/buttons/dpad, decent battery life, emulates everything up to a dreamcast, also has kodi

e: it also works with steam link, so that's pretty neat too

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

how do you use the analog sticks? I can't figure out how to hold it comfortably and also be able to reach them

with my thumbs? lol

i mean it's basically the same layout as a switch pro controller, it's not that hard?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

haveblue posted:

I mean it looks like if I had a solid grip on the case my thumbs would be too high to reach down to them

maybe I'll go play with one in a store or something

ah i see what you mean. i guess it's not really a problem for me since i would only need both sticks if i'm using MAME or, like, mapped one of them to the d-pad for dreamcast, but again, apparently my thumbs are freakishly long

if you angle your thumbs a bit it's not terribly difficult though. wife's hands are probably literally half the size of mine and she didn't have a problem playing bioshock on steam link

e: also, this is a bit silly, but it supports bluetooth and USB OTG (it runs full blown linux), so you can connect whatever controller you want to it. micro hdmi/dp out is on the top

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 19, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

The Fool posted:

retro game question:

I want to have my roms on a headless linux server and be able to play them from any of my devices

what are my options?

is there a headless steam that will work with steam link?

I also found a clone of emulatorjs is it any good?

imo put your roms on a cifs/smb share and use libretro, there's a webassembly client you can use locally if the device doesn't natively support it

e: hell you can just upload them temporarily i guess https://web.libretro.com

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 26, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

did you get a risus game going yet with the kiddos

beeps "rhesus game" went poorly

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i was looking for a time waster game for ios so i downloaded sim city (because the version i already bought was removed from the app store apparently)

holy poo poo i hate it, i noped out of the goddamn tutorial. you have to allocate, build a factory and use loving nails by dragging them to a residential zone in order to build things? there's something called simcash??

gently caress that bullshit. is there any decent alternative? feeling city simulator-ish, but i don't wanna spend a lot of money lol

n.b. i already have cities skylines, i'm just looking for a lazy fun bed game

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

rollercoaster tycoon’s ios port isn’t terrible from what i remember

hmm i'll check it out

genuinely bummed that the one i already had was removed from the store, i'm guessing it was 32-bit and EA cba to do a simple recompile

it was basically a simplified version of sc3k for touch screens, and it was pretty great

hell they could do a touchscreen port of sc2k, that seems like it would translate pretty well. loving ea

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

apple cba to spend 20k dev hours to save 2m client dev hours

yeah i really don't get the impetus to remove 32-bit support. it worked fine!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

wasn’t it some security thing?

supposedly, but i don't buy it. there are ways to ensure it runs "properly" anyway

for example linux and windows still support 32-bit binaries, and yeah there are subsystems on windows and a mess of libraries on linux, but it works. i don't believe apple wasn't capable of doing something similar

for fucks sake under wine you can even run 16-bit windows apps on macos (or linux, and now windows). windows itself doesn't even support that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

tbf it saved space, which does matter on mobile devices. but i think it is a bit misguided to blame devs incentivised purely by pr for not putting in the work

i mean, yeah, that's true, it's the same issue windows and linux have with libraries. but it's honestly not a lot of space. cloning functionality into new libraries while keeping the old ones (because the new implementations are not as good) is far more wasteful imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

we had typing class in middle school. i usually hit around 180-200 wpm

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

lol sure you did

:shrug:

obviously i already knew how to type and the example sentences were not difficult to copy

last time i tried some online test i was hitting around 170. idk, its not hard for me

i'd guess most yosposters could probably hit at least 150

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

fart simpson posted:

in 2005 the fastest english language typist on record hit 212 wpm. you probably weren’t naturally doing 200 in middle school

you're probably right then, it's a guess about something that happened like 25 years ago

i do clearly remember averaging around 180 though. i'm pretty sure i hit 200 once or twice but i could be wrong

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i guess it depends on the test then?

i mean keep in mind it was middle school, the sentences you had to copy were like "John passes Odie the lasagna plate."

not exactly difficult and i read very quickly. lol i didn't think this was that unusual

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

were you typing the same sentence again and again for the test or something?

yes, pretty much. they were "randomized" throughout some sort of level system, but it wasn't hard to realize it wasn't actually random: it would piece together parts of previous sentences that had appeared before. if you did it quickly it was a short enough interval it wasn't hard to recall those parts at all, but for most kids plodding along at 20 wpm that interval became like 10 minutes

to be clear i don't think i have some sort of superhuman typing abilities or anything. the point is that the middle school class was just easy bullshit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i mean i guess it's not impossible. we used to have literally the smartest boy in america posting here, after all.

lol i beat fishmech in a varsity lincoln-douglas debate in high school

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

that's not too bad. on a bunch of benzos, in bed, and using a lovely low profile chromebook keyboard i was able to hit 77

i don't know how to screenshot it though lol. i will try when i am more sober on a desktop tomorrow

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

my old rear end desktop is having... issues lol

heres phone

maybe i'll connect the desktop kb to the ipad or something idk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i have to reinstall wandows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

i have smoka on ignore now so i am assuming that these 8 posts they have made (of the last 11 on the page) are just anime youtubes with no comment, right?

yep just a bunch of worthless rear end posts