Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
excited to find out whose rear end we will be wearing as a hat this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can believe it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it’s not (or so I’m told)

would have strongly considered it anyway if it had supported PSVR though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when do we get final fantasy XXX

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
NMS has always been aesthetic as gently caress even at launch

Achmed Jones posted:

does no man's sky still have the flying robots that come out and make sure you aren't having too much fun?

yes, but this now varies planet to planet- sometimes they basically ignore you unless you try to strip mine the entire ecosystem, sometimes they aggro on sight and you're constantly on the run. also fighting them is a lot more fun

quote:

also i remember reading that the updates make it way easier to find people. for me a lot of the draw was that it was effectively single player. what's the deal with all that?

MP is optional. you can see players in the world if you are physically near them but the universe is so incomprehensibly vast this just doesn't happen serendipitously. there is a social hub space that always has players but teaming up is not required for anything

it's still possible to play as a space backpacker who never engages with structured content and just wanders from one prog rock album cover to the next

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 25, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nudgenudgetilt posted:

huh, for some reason i was thinking nms was like 100+gb, but steam claims under 13. i suppose i'll have to check out the update

the magic of procedural generation

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MrQueasy posted:

I just spent 20 minutes swearing at this.

tips that got me through:

* you have to boost at just around the halfway point
* you have to release the boost with a directional input, or you will end up about a ball-length too low

yeah don't think about how you skateboard on a half pipe because it's a completely artificial mechanic that only vaguely relates to physics. there's a sweet spot in which you boost, you just have to find it and hit it repeatedly

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
:pisstape:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea what the plot of Elden ring is and I’m not watching six hours of YouTube to find out

my play through was just “cool, a castle. cool, a tree monster. cool, a cave. cool, a weird castle”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
minecraft :troll:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
honestly I would trust user reviews less the bigger name a game is, it probably attracts a lot more knee-jerk hot takes (both supporting and attacking it)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I agree with both sides- the early access model can be used well but not by charging full retail price for your pre-alpha. pricing sets expectations and responsibilities

Corla Plankun posted:

did the cracking scene kill demos or was it steam or something else?

they were insanely hit or miss back in the day and I guess gamep rear end sorta serves the same function but I do still kinda miss them

it turns out that a demo that doesn’t turn off more potential sales than it converts people who weren’t already interested is a lot of work and almost as much of a crapshoot as the complete game, so it’s not a good investment for most studios

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
control is extremely good

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hate to see what the steam UX is better than

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have tried to do that twice and both times I looked at the complete postgame maps and the conspicuous lack of an intra-planet fast travel button and go “nah”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I recently got a high end Lego set and can feel the nerd crafting bug nibbling at me

not a good idea right now though

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I played the PS+ version, solo

Pretty fun but you need a high frustration tolerance

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
solar ash was mostly good but this time I hope someone tells them "hard mode" should not mean "you must be frame perfect at every moment throughout the entire game"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pile Of Garbage posted:

if it doesn't include deckard caine bellowing at me about some fuckin cube or staff then i'm not interested.

YOU MUST LOCATE THE HORADRIC CUBE!!!

if he doesn't say "you have quite a treasure there" I'm uninstalling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
returnal is fairly weak as far as its roguelike aspect, your "build" is whether or not you lucked out on a weapon with a good set of attributes and everything else is just minor situational combat options

as a shooter and a graphics showcase it's fantastic

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 17, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the tick-tock structure of hades was absolutely perfect for me

when you die in a run no matter how bullshit it was you always get new character dialog and arc advancements. and when you're done with all those you feel ready for another run. and then it's 2 in the morning

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think “like” is the majority reaction to fallen order, everyone is pleasantly surprised when a Star Wars game doesn’t outright blow but it’s still got some annoyances

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
rip a lot of beloved characters

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sapozhnik posted:

i don't know who was the first person to make a game ui where you have to hold down a button while a circle fills up around it to confirm the action but that person is a jerk!!

I don’t know which game was actually first but these days all the games do it because destiny did it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
2 has some really cool gimmick levels

and the clockwork soldiers were very obviously added so you can exercise all the cool murder powers without breaking clean hands

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah in a game like that it's possible for people to get killed entirely without your knowledge just from autonomous systems interacting

you have to kill a LOT of people to get onto the high chaos path. like, way more people than are strictly necessary to get the objectives. but there's still a tracked difference between zero and nonzero

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
dishonored 1 is great for the all-pervading sense of doom that 2 doesn’t have. it’s a sclerotic decadent society rife with unresolved tension that’s about to collapse politically, economically, ecologically, and in a couple of other ways all at once. going on a subversive murder spree feels right and getting the good ending feels wrong

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yes it is. my run was something like 110 hours, even if subsequent runs are significantly shorter that’s still longer than most other games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don’t recall any goblins in dark souls

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I give it 3 out of 5 chorvs

would have been 4 but had to deduct a chorv for some really, really bad encounters in the mid-late game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
eagerly awaiting reports on the enunciation of “mister kennedy”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
indie games obey sturgeon's law, same as everything else

the big advantage of pixel art is that almost anyone can make something at least passable in that style. if you aren't a trained/experienced 3D modeler you aren't going to come up with a good 3D model. if you aren't a trained/experienced photoshop person you aren't going to make good textures. but anyone can pick a color and tap in one pixel at a time in a 32x32 grid. it won't be world class sprite work and there's definitely still a range of quality but your programmer art will at least be recognizable as what you intended it to be

this has gotten less important recently since the major game creation toolkits now include asset stores so you don't need to deal with the nitty gritty of finding and hiring artists

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hey it was funny when Ashley called you a pervert because a zombie whacked you so hard your head hit the ground next to her

totally understandable why they took all that out though

and they took out the line about “ballistics” for again perfectly good and understandable reasons. but they also took out leon getting shot down by hannigan which didn’t seem that problematic to me

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 25, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
leon S kennedy became an american hero for bravely rescuing the president's daughter from a spanish zombie parasite cult

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it was a one trick pony but it was a very good trick (the trick was throwing stuff)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
been playing code vein for a couple of days and I feel like I already blew my annual anime dosage limit

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
you have quite a treasure there

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dijkstracula posted:

red team has assigned an issue

blue team has closed the issue with WONTFIX

red team has reassigned an issue with priority BLOCKER

*clicks update ticket*

HOLY poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
they’re mutants, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah it's a fundamental problem with the dishonored model- stealth is easy but simple while loud is fun and varied but hard

plus the fact that the game tells you whether or not you were stealthy and clean just encourages you to aim for that and avoid compromising it

this is why deathloop dropped that whole system so there are no second-order consequences to going on a rampage