Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Problem description: Occassionally on cold boot my system will boot up but return a black display. Recently my BIOS dropped some configuration settings on its own after a reboot and the other night I temporarily lost power to my keyboard and mouse. All LEDs, Fans etc in the case turn on and motherboard debug code is always A0 (normal), just no display. To be clear, I am not getting a "no display detected", it is lighting up the display, it is just black. Is definitely not a backlight issue with my monitors either.

Attempted fixes: Dusted system thoroughly with compressed air, updated OS, BIOS, drivers for motherboard etc. I also may have answered my own question because the Display Port expansion cables I am using may not be 1.2 certified and may be transmitting voltage on pin 20 and I am using the out of box Display Port cables that came with the monitors that are apparently widely accepted as not actually being 1.2 certified either. However, the GPU and Monitors are recent enough that this shouldn't be a problem but I am going to try and eliminate them anyway. I have not yet disconnected everything and run a continuity test on this pin on my cables as everything is tightly cable managed and I haven't had a chance to rip it all apart to do this test.

Recent changes: I have not made any recent changes that I am aware of that would have caused this issue. I was getting USB power issues until I determined that my Elgato CamLink was the culprit and I resolved this by putting it on its own PCI Powered USB 3.0 expansion card.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1903 Build 18362.836.

System specs:
Battery Backup: CyberPower 1500PFCLCD
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi X470 Rev 1.0
RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200mhz G.Skill TridentZ (Samsung B-die)
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
CPU Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 with Dual 140mm Noctua iPPC 3000RPM High Static Pressure Fans
PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 750
HDD1: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe M.2
HDD2: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
WLAN: Built in receiver on-board with antenna
PCI Expansion: Inateck PCI-e to USB 3.0 (4 Ports) PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector
Monitors: Dual Asus VG278Q 27" 1080p 144hz monitors
USB Devices:
Addition Fans: 4 x 140mm Noctua Case Fans
Corsair K70 Keyboard
Logitech G502 Mouse
Xenyx Q802USB Mixer
Elgato Stream Deck 15 Button Version
DS4 Controller
Elgato CamLink (on separate powered internal USB 3.0 expansion card)
Elgato HD60 S
Mobile Phone Fast Charge Stand (just removed this as of writing up this request as I don't use it anymore because it does not seem to work well with my Pixel 3)
Fitbit Charging Dock (also just removed this as of writing up this request as I don't use it at all and forgot it was plugged in period)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Extra Question: Can someone link a recommended brand of Display Port to Display Port 1.2 Certified cable that guaranteed does NOT have voltage on the 20th Pin? Everything I am finding is apparently bullshit as they are slapping VESA 1.2 Certified on them but are super lying about it.

theSpokeyDokey fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU