Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Okay, I've been happily waiting on this book, one of my favorite cartoonists, who published one of my all-time favorite stories, taking on one of my favorite characters:

Archie Comics picks Bone and Shazam writer/artist Jeff Smith!

Jeff Smith's self-published epic adventure Bone is nothing short of a masterwork, it's whimsical and funny and and truly captures a spirit of comics that's rarely seen these days.

So, who better to take on the task of writing an everyday, hamburger-loving teen, sidekick-turned-scene-stealer, who occassionally has to solve mysteries, travel through time and/or be turned into a werewolf?

Jeff Smith is the new writer/artist for the solo series dedicated to Forsythe Pendleton Jughead Jones III

It will probably cut into his Bone publishing schedule, but we're going to give Jeff the Jughead run from '92-'00, when he was putting out his greatest work and when Archie comics was getting interesting with the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In the fine Brand Ecch tradition, we have managed to, somehow, sign writer/artist Steve Murray aka Chip Zdarsky to an exclusive deal! I guess with Sex Criminals winding down, he needs something to do. Not that SexCrims took a lot of time, but hey! We're going with early humor Chip, not more modern trying to be serious and actually being good at it Chip. This included his run on Howard the Duck, the aforementioned Sex Criminals, plus some short stories here and there. Welcome aboard Chip! Thanks for not noticing the part of your contract requiring you to wear your Garfield costume during all official appearances.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh man I love Jeff Smith so much. Much as I love Bone, I’d have taken his RASL period, that story was just weird as hell. I hope at some point he goes back to comics.

He’d be a really interesting fit on Jughead.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Okay, who broke the first rule of Fight Club?

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1275070026588946434

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What the hell!

Also, Madkal is up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I'm currently camping. I am happy to skip my pick and maybe come back to it later.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

I'm currently camping. I am happy to skip my pick and maybe come back to it later.

Sure, we’ll skip you until you’re back. Given how this goes I don’t think you’re likely to miss many of the folks you want.

Given that, Bingo Bango is up!

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Hannah Blumenreich's Spidey Zine is and insanely good slice of life comic, so giving her the ol' webslinger seems like the obvious choice, right?

Well, we here at Marvel love to subvert your expectations and instead have asked Ms. Blumenreich to take the helm as the writer and artist on special Ms.Marvel! limited series! She won't be taking over permanently from Saladin Ahmed and Minkyu Jung, but doing something over a series of 5-6 issues about what that Kamala Khan has been up to.

Additionally, you can support Hannah's Patreon where she regularly posts a lot of great sketches!

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Bingo Bango posted:

Hannah Blumenreich's Spidey Zine is and insanely good slice of life comic, so giving her the ol' webslinger seems like the obvious choice, right?

Well, we here at Marvel love to subvert your expectations and instead have asked Ms. Blumenreich to take the helm as the writer and artist on special Ms.Marvel! limited series! She won't be taking over permanently from Saladin Ahmed and Minkyu Jung, but doing something over a series of 5-6 issues about what that Kamala Khan has been up to.

Additionally, you can support Hannah's Patreon where she regularly posts a lot of great sketches!

A universe where Hannah Blumenreich continued to write for cape comics for good pay instead of being run out to hating it all is the universe I wish I were in

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hey. I’m not sure if everyone is sticking around or not, or when the right time is to make that decision, so I guess this is just a check in with the group - can you let me know either here or in discord if you want to continue?

I’m thinking we pause until something more concrete comes out in either case (but if whoever is up wants to go, that’s their choice).

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
A pause might be wise until the ink is dry.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Things are tentatively looking good and moving along nicely so I think if people wanted to start this up again it might not be a bad idea? I certainly still have a bunch of picks in the wings.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In that case, same question as before, are we all still here / ready to participate again? I guess if someone isn’t here at all we’ll only find out when they get skipped a bunch, but if you’re around and just aren’t interested anymore, just let me know here or on discord please.

Either way -

Napoleon Nelson is up x2, and Madkal has a pick to be made.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I can work on slightly effort based post tomorrow

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Yeah, I should be able to have something tomorrow too

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Phone call:

Vertigo: Hi Grant....yes can you hear.....good good....... So we know it's been a while since we last drafted some people for DC and all and we know we agreed to let you have creative control on who we bring in but.......listen can you stop laughing for a few seconds and just......who is there with you?......we can hear someone say "what do those DC wankers want......listen Grant you can't be serious with your pick......I mean......yes we know that they have appeared in comics before but the rules.....yes the rules Grant, there are rules for.......you know the part where it says......yes we know about that who ink thing.....but. (sigh) Have you considered that the one capitalistic arsehat might try screw us over with merchand......yes I know we have like a billion Batman things that we sell every year but we are talking about Ge......alright I will say it he is a gigantic arsehole......no I didn't call him a talentless greedy dildo, that was you....seriously who do you have in your house, and can you get them to stop calling us directionless gits? Fine fine. We will allow you this pick, but we get to chose the next one deal? (sigh)

end of call.

It is with, great pleasure that Vertigo announces the band KISS as our next pick. With broad theatricality and a 15 year old boys imagination we are sure that the members of KISS will make some....memorable comics. Also Gene Simmons is now head of marketting at DC, and Paul Stanley has agreed to do something if we just give him a chance. The members of KISS have also promised not to belittle Ace Frehley more than once a day and let him have a say for 10 seconds per hour. Also Peter Criss is....well no-one cares about Peter Criss.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:lol:

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

What a perfect way to re-start this thread

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

That's an impossible act to follow and my brain isn't working lately, so feel free to skip over me and I'll try to get something done in the next few days.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so I've gone through and updated the spreadsheet with all picks to date.

Bingo Bango is up
Madkal is on deck
Napolean Nelson is skipped x2 per their request

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Marvel thinks it's time for a fresh take on that classic femme fatale, Black Widow

A Cold War villain turned Avenger, Black Widow is the ultimate super spy, tactician, and I (clearly) really love the way John Buscema drew her in the 1970s. She's never been a character I felt particularly strongly about, but I always kind of find myself surprised how much I enjoy her when she shows up in the comics I read. With a tortured love life and back story, I think it's high-time we bring a little more levity to ol' Natalia's life, which is why Marvel is pleased to announce Kate Beaton of Hark! A Vagrant fame will be taking over.

Now, you may know Beaton best for her various history comics, but if you're like me, the first thing that may have come to mind were the Strong Female Characters strips:

And you wouldn't be wrong - these are a great send-up of Black Widow and Widow-esque characters, especially in the post-MCU era. However, I think Beaton's excellent grasp of humor, both goody and deadpan, would be a joy to see and read. I mean, just look at her Cloak and Dagger strip:

I will now leave you with my favorite drawing of Wolverine of all time:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m very jealous of that pick. I picked up the Hark a Vagrant hardcover last year and just love that book. She’s hilarious.

Madkal has been up for a while now.
Vargo is on deck.
Napoleon Nelson has 2 picks to make.

I’ll try to be more proactive about updating the order to prompt people to make their picks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey all. I'm away until Wednesday so I will gladly give up my spot to someone else.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Madkal posted:

Hey all. I'm away until Wednesday so I will gladly give up my spot to someone else.

We can just skip you and have you take your pick when you come back :shrug:

It's also possible for you to ping someone with your pick (name only) and come back later once you have a chance to write up a bit more about it.

Just in general if you're not able to make your pick for a bit, that's not a big concern. We're not exactly moving at a blazing hot pace here, as long as we keep going we'll finish this thing at some point. :)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Skip me and I will come back to it. I trust everyone not to take my pick before I get there.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Effort post to come, but in the interest of keeping things moving:

Becky Cloonan and James Stokoe will alternate 6-month runs on Stardust the Super-Wizard. That way they can do creator owned work as well and I can finally get more Orc Stain.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sent a PM to Vargo. Madkal has a pick to make.

After Vargo it’s me. I’ll give it a day and post something tomorrow night.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Right I do. I will make it tomorrow when I am not drinking and watching road house (okay I might still be watching road house tomorrow when I make my pick)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was back and forth on who to take here, but I've decided that despite having these different mini imprints operating under their own auspices, I also want to have a singular editor in chief who can help drive direction. In the very first round I was going to take Karen Berger for that role, but Kirby's availability changed my plans, and then I lost my chance to take her. So instead, Image is proud to bring in Shelly Bond to manage this company. Berger was the first visionary force at Vertigo, overseeing books like Swamp Thing and Animal Man, but Shelly Bond's work is not to be discounted. While with Vertigo she was responsible for bringing in many artists to do great work with the company, including Gilbert Hernandez and all kinds of writers and artists who haven't been picked yet. Post her departure from Vertigo, Bond led the Black Crown imprint at IDW, once again bringing in quality artists and lesser known creators. She brings credibility and a history of quality to publication, and Image is lucky to have her.

Editor in Chief
Bond

Imprint #1 (Name TBD): Absolutely bonkers cosmic poo poo
Kirby

Imprint #2 (Name TBD): Fantasy
Pini

Imprint #3 (Name TBD): Crime / Noire
J. Jones
Jaime Hernandez

Imprint #4 (Name TBD): Spy poo poo
Steranko
Fiffe

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Endless Mike is up

Madkal and Vargo have a pick to make

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm going to be in the woods from tomorrow through Friday so feel free to skip over me if we get that far!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Surely nothing is more important than the comics fantasy draft.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

lifg posted:

Surely nothing is more important than the comics fantasy draft.

You're right. Everyone keep an eye on the skies over the next few days, I'll send up a smoke signal revealing my pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sorry for the delay folks, we have been trying to...distract Grant.....from making any more picks. He has demanded quite a few doozies and because he has final say over who works for Vertigo we had to make him write down a few and go through them and pick the more suitable ones. After being called cat fart smelling inadequate cowards for not letting Grant resurrect, and we quote here, "Aleister Crowley's sexy bloated corpse" to write a romance comic, we have settled on one name we can get excited for, and for the right reasons (we were "excited for Kiss" but not for the right reasons.

Vertigo is proud to announce the arrival of one.....

Stephen King. Now Mr. King is famous throughout the world for his tales of horror and dread and we figured that would go great with some Vertigo titles, and lucky for us DC has agreed to let us use some of their horror based characters for Mr. King to write, and we just know that DC would never tell us that we have to stop using those characters and threaten to shut us down just so they can have a character like Ragman show up for one panel in a Batman comic.

The first project Stephen has agreed to write for us is a Spectre ongoing comic, and we can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Sorry, we just received word from DC that Stephen King can't write a Spectre ongoing because DC wants to use the character in their Summer Days special anthology. Alas....