Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jordan7hm posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck I knew I should have take Karen.

Roth is up until 3, with How Wonderful on deck.

General question, but do we want to give more time for the picks than 2 hours? There’s no real rush and there are only 9 of us, so slowing down may make it easier for people. 4 hours instead?

I'd don't have a problem with more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

Roth is up until 3, with How Wonderful on deck.

General question, but do we want to give more time for the picks than 2 hours? There’s no real rush and there are only 9 of us, so slowing down may make it easier for people. 4 hours instead?

Firstly thanks for doing this. It probably isn't easy so thanks for your patience and such.
Four hours works for me. I figure people have other things going on and such.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Jordan7hm posted:

She was on my list of people who were going to go fast.

There’s 16 picks till my next draft. I have no idea what the field’s going to look like then. This is the most nerdy excitement I’ve ever had!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
4 hours it is. Roth has until 5, then How Wonderful has until 9pm.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

For the premier character of DC Comics, Superman, we have decided to bring in Masashi Tanaka the artist behind Gon

Gon is a comic written entirely with no dialog, and features nothing but striking art.

This dialog-less approach has potential to really create some wonderful and inspiring Superman comics, while also giving the perfect excuse for Superman to fight a polar bear.

(In case it isn't obvious, my gimmick is using almost nothing but manga artists/writers to take over DC)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Corto Maltese was created by the Italian cartoonist Hugo Pratt in 1967, a laconic, worldly man of the sea who sails around in the early 20th century fighting generally opposing tyranny and fighting for the underdog. Pratt's Maltese looks like a sculpture chipped out of a glacier, a man of sharp angles and inscrutable glances. His action scenes are tense, short, and brutal, his treatment of place expansive and poetic. These are comics about tough people in a difficult world, shot through with moments of beauty.

While most of Corto Maltese's adventures are fairly realistic and unsparingly precise in their attention to violence and hardship, Pratt also excelled at surreal dream sequences and descents into hallucination or whimsy, during which his command of composition and image really came to the forefront.

So who better to take the reins of a new take on Corto Maltese than the late, great Darwyn Cooke. Cooke's best work, in my opinion, were his adaptations of Richard Stark's Parker novels. Unlike the grittiness of Brubaker and Philips, when Cooke wrote about and drew lowlives and killers he kept a tinge of romanticism to them that fits Corto Maltese to a tee. His mastery of adventure, noir, and flashes of comedy are perfect for a series finding an older, wearier Corto Maltese taking to the seas again in the world just prior to WWII, finding new adventures on rewritten maps and reinventing an old adventurer's place in a world made unfamiliar. His classic DC series New Frontiers demonstrates him applying this same approach to the DC Universe-- a pitch-perfect blend of thrusting characters rooted in idealism and wonder into a compromised world without compromising that sense of promise and hope.

Plus who would possibly be better for a series about a globetrotting sailor roaming around hunting nazis?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Skwirl is skipped but I want to make sure I don’t have another pic-less pick. So I’ll be picking tomorrow morning. If you want to pick before then Skwirl, have at it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
With its second pick in the BSS Fantasy Draft, Image selects a truly visionary creator to helm its second comics line. While his own ability to create comics will certainly be limited by his attention to the medium, his 100 pages are worth thousands from lesser creators. Image comics selects Jim Steranko.

Steranko was an absolute force for a split moment in comics history. He built off of what Kirby brought to Strange Tales and the Nick Fury stories, and quickly moved beyond. He took Marvel back to the Golden Age of comics with innovative storytelling, inventive panel layouts, and gorgeous one, two, and four (!!!) page spreads. I'm taking his peak years at Marvel, that time when he broke off from working off of other people's layouts (which was admittedly only a couple months) and started doing his own thing. Every issue of comics he touched was gold for those handful of years he did interior work, and his covers for his own and other books were every bit as good as the interiors and absolutely iconic.

Steranko may end up being, like a better version of Liefeld, a guy who just can't get his books out in time and end up doing only a handful of issues entirely on his own, but his creative genius will flourish throughout his sub-imprint and I'll find creators who can build off of that and support him.

Skwirl is skipped (which means pick as soon as you see this)

Vargo is up until 16:39

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
In the second round, Archie Comics selects Kelly Sue DeConnick as Editor-In-Chief, circa 2001-Present.

Save this space for rationale later.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Madkal is up. Four hours from now so noon edt tomorrow. Skwirl still has a pick to be made.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
On phone: C'mon DC.....yes I know you want to see....yes......I know.....sales......like the 90's......I get it. We are trying to bring a prestige here.....no......listen.....we have someone lined up already........I know you like him and want to keep giving him......please, we're begging you....you can't be serious....I mean.....not him. Anyone but him......Yes I know he has an eye for scouting artistic talent but that is because....We are a prestigious title....yes he is a popular name but......C'MON......couldn't we at least get Jim instead of.....you already cancelled our Blue Devil reboot and we hadn't even announced it yet.....why are you?....fine....we will announce it.

Thank you everyone. It is with pride....with happin......we are being forced to announce that for our second round pick Vertigo, owned by DC comics are going to pick Rob Lie.......know what!? Screw it. We are proud, happy and honoured to announce our second round pick Will Eisner. Hear that DC! Eisner said he would work for us. We are talking Contract with freaking God Eisner here. And you wanted us to say no and go with Liefeld? Eisner at second round! We aren't walking away from that. What's he gonna work on? We don't know! It's Will loving Eisner and he could say that he is gonna draw a 1,000 page book of a geriatric taking a dump on a sidewalk and we would be crazy not too publish that. You hear us DC. Eisner is coming to Vertigo.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I think I'm up next? Apologies if I got the order wrong and I'm skipping ahead of someone else.

In perhaps the only move that will get him leave his artisanal cocktail syrup business and making comics again, Marvel has brought Chris Onstad of Achewood fame on as their newest writer.

That's right, he's back baby!

If you're unfamiliar with Achewood, then I don't know what you're doing here in BSS. Clearly, goons have had plenty to say about it and this thread is still pretty active for a comic that ended nearly four years ago. Though some strips haven't aged well, on the whole I'd say it's still one of the funniest comics on the internet and certainly a part of the history of humor online. If you haven't read it, may I recommend starting with The Great Outdoor Fight?

I debated choosing something more unexpected to put Onstad on, but in the end there was only one book that I wanted him to write: Howard the Duck

I mean, it's a cranky, sarcastic duck with a stogie - completely in Onstad's wheelhouse. I think Onstad's absurd and dry sense of humor is a perfect fit for a comic that's sarcastic and self-aware. We at Mavel are looking forward to the first issue, though we aren't holding our breath for him to actually finish it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You were in fact up next. And good pick. Surprised you went for him over some other webcomic people, but he's a real solid choice in any case. Looking forward to the imaginary 37 issue run of a planned 50 issue story.

Napoleon Nelson is now up until ~6pm EDT x 2 picks.

Bingo Bango is on deck once those picks are made.

Skwirl still has a pick to make whenever they get back.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

It's been a great draft so far and we'd like to commend our colleagues on some excellent picks.

For its second and third picks in the 2020 draft, Avatar press is very please to announce the signing of Fletcher Hanks and Richard Corben as writers/artists. The two will collaborate on a revamp of Hanks' Fantomah, which we're excited to have as a flagship series for the new Avatar.

Fletcher Hanks (1939-1941)

Fletcher Hanks, under the guidance of our editors, will be a perfect addition to the Avatar crew. A writer/artist from the Golden Age, he created many fundamentally weird stories with strong horror undertones. His take on the superhero was one of uncompromising morality and a strangely ironic punishment. While only active for 2 years, his work still fascinates to this day.

In addition to Fantomah, Hanks will be developing storylines for a relaunch of Stardust the Super Wizard, with a creative team to be announced in forthcoming rounds, and will be writing and drawing a Big Red McLane story quarterly for Life in Purgatory.

Richard Corben (1975-1996)

Beginning his comics career in the underground comix movement, Richard Corben has too many credits to list here, but famously contributed to Heavy Metal in the 70s and has done work for Marvel, Vertigo, and DC among many others. His lush images, terrifying monsters, and general grasp on the macabre will elevate Hanks' writing to a new level of adult horror.

Alongside his illustration work on Fantomah, Mr. Corben will contribute several covers each month for other Avatar series, and will be writing and drawing his own short stories for Life in Purgatory between arcs of Fantomah.
:nws:https://imgur.com/ilXMiYi:nws:

Fantomah

One of the first female superheroes, predating even Wonder Woman, Fantomah: Mystery Woman of the Jungle is a beautiful woman who protects the jungle and its inhabitants from those who would despoil it by turning her head into a skull and unleashing a variety of superpowers.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

Oooh, very good Fantomah pick!

For my third pick, Marvel is drafting the extremely talented Ngozi Ukazua!

Her comic, Check, Please! is about college, hockey, friendship and love. It's a coming-of-age story set against the backdrop of the ice rink and her protagonist Eric Bittle is funny without being too corny, sincere without being hokey. It's a bit of a melodrama, to be sure, but the queer romance at the heart of it is drawn and written in a way that felt real and relatable to me.

Aside from the emotional core of the story, Ukazua also draws the action of hockey in a really compelling way and reminded me how great a sport it is.

Given how much heart and energy there is in her work, I think Ukazua would be an excellent fit for The Amazing Spider-Man.

imo, Peter Parker is at his best when he's a sweet, awkward kid who sometimes does some dumb poo poo but at the end of the day wants to be a good guy. I believe Ukazua would bring the right level of levity and youth to the comic, while probably drawing some really fun action sequences.

To be honest, if I were actually in charge I'd let Ngozi have her pick of whatever Spider-person she wanted - I think she could be equally great on Miles Morales or Spider-Gwen.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

So who better to take the reins of a new take on Corto Maltese than the late, great Darwyn Cooke.

I'm a little sad we won't ever get this.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

gently caress, Hanks/Corben is such a good and out of control idea.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hi there everyone. Firstly want to apologize for that outburst for our previous announcement. DC, thanks for forgiving ourselves. We promise not to keep courting Marvel comics with the promise of a meta-fictional Adam Warlock cartoon, but if you could please cool it down with all the talk about Black Label that would be appreciated.

Now on for our third pick. As some will know, our organization has had much success with siblings. Sure they are usually twins but in this case we are willing to make an exception. Now some will say "but you can only have one person, not too" but we figured because they are siblings they are practically the same person right? And if you don't buy that argument we would have to kill one of the siblings and let Morrison perform a ritual that would allow the dead siblings soul to possess the live siblings body so they would be two people at one (he promised us he could do that). DC, why are you shaking your head at us? We thought you would like this plan.

Anyway, until we get kicked out or sold for spare parts, Vertigo is proud to announce the arrival of Lana and Lily Wachowski (aka the Wachowskis). Now I am hearing some of you murmur "did they write or draw any comics and we are happy to say "yes" (so you can't disqualify us for this)

Now the Wachowskis are none to comic book fans and movie fans alike. Blowing up on the scene with their Matrix movies (which were originally planned as comics) and moving on to other fan properties as Speed Racer and.....Jupiter Ascending....their vision is grand and thought provoking at the same time.

As what they will be writing for us, well our EiC being a big fan of meta-fiction and irony has decided to let the Wachowski's take a swing at one of his original comics and they will be starting with a 12 part maxi series of the Invisibles
We look forward to seeing what the siblings bring to the comic world after so many years working in film. As Keanu would say "Woah" indeed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Dope pick, I’ll allow it.

So Vargo has now been skipped and I have been as well. With that in mind, I’m going to write up my pick now, and Skwirl is on the clock.

Vargo, pick when you get a moment.

Skwirl - you’ve got 2 picks to make

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
pick time.

With the Steranko and Kirby lines firmly planted in the superhero genre, we're bringing in a female creator, a legend, to anchor a more fantasy oriented line. Wendy Pini doesn't get the respect she deserves from the comics community, but Elfquest is one of the best genre fiction works of cartooning I've ever read and it absolutely stands up. I love her art, I love her politics, and while it took me decades to understand it, my views on the world and sexuality are incredibly influenced by the things she created.

She won't bring Elfquest over to image though. Instead I'll have her helm something new, where she'll both create the world and lay the foundation, and lead others to create stories in that world. Like she did with Elfquest, but with better creators following or working with her.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Should I just go ahead and pick?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yep. Busy day at work and I lost the thread for a bit.

You’re up, with Roth on deck and lifg behind x2.

Skwirl x2 skipped
Varga skipped

Skipped folks should pick when they can.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Mark Trail is a comic strip created by Ed Dodd in 1946. From the outset, the platonic version of the strip was pretty noble-- Mark Trail's a photojournalist who lives in a National Forest and goes on various fairly low-key adventures, often ending up involved with low-stakes crimes and fighting but for the most part a pretext for drawing him wandering through nature showcasing various animals and plants. For all that it's DNA is rooted in adventure serials, Mark Trail at it's fleeting best is a much more lyrical and languid kind of comic-- the iconic panels from its heyday shunting Mark and his friends to the far background as the panel offers a loving close-up of whatever flora or fauna Dodd was interested in that day.

If you've ever poked your head in BSS' own Comic Strip Megathread you've probably gleaned that the days of Mark Trail being anywhere close to good are long behind us. Compare the Mark Trail of 1946:

with the contemporary counterpart:

Ok, so it's never been the greatest thing to ever hit the medium, but I think that in 2020 there's a space for an adventure-based slice of life comic about paying attention to nature and considering our symbiotic relationship to the world around us.

That's why I'm offering the perhaps unenviable task of rehabilitating to mangaka Ryoko Kui.

Ryoko Kui is best known for her 2014 manga Dungeon Meshi, a fantasy comedy about a group of adventures who have to forage and cook for themselves while heading deeper and deeper into what at first appears to be a wholly typical D&D style dungeon. She distinguishes herself as a writer in her thoughtfulness and wit in thinking through the ecological and cultural implications of something like the classic "Tomb of Horror" or "Temple of Elemental Evil" type structure, finding inventive and interesting extrapolations of worn out fantasy tropes in each installment. She's also a master of expressive and charming characters, as well as fleshing out the world around them with a compelling depth of detail and grit.

Month-to-month Dungeon Meshi is one of my favorite things currently going in comics internationally, and I think if anybody can forge Mark Trail into something worthy of its premise, it could be her.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

This is an extremely good pick

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To write Batman we have decided to go with Yoshihiro Togashi creator of Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter. He will be channeling his time writing the York New City arc, and all of the criminal intrigue and crazy supervillain powers that involves. Togashi has a wonderful talent for writing compelling villains that feel like actual people with their own goals and relationships instead of just being an obstacle for the hero. One of Batman's strongest points has always been its rogue's gallery, making Togashi a wonderful fit for the series.

However, due to health issues, Togashi's ability to draw has diminished, so as an exception we have paired him up with an artist to take over art duties while he handles writing. We have decided to go with Andy Price.

Andy Price is an artist that is primarily known for drawing much of the MLP comics by IDW. That doesn't sound like much of a sell on its own, but Andy Price's artwork on that book has been far and away the highlight of the series, with a unique art style that easily nails all kinds of emotions, further making a good fit for Batman's rather manic villains.

Also I want personally just want to see what he'd do with human characters in a comic.

Plus, he's done DC commissions already, let's just hire him!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Roth posted:

To write Batman we have decided to go with Yoshihiro Togashi creator of Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter. He will be channeling his time writing the York New City arc, and all of the criminal intrigue and crazy supervillain powers that involves. Togashi has a wonderful talent for writing compelling villains that feel like actual people with their own goals and relationships instead of just being an obstacle for the hero. One of Batman's strongest points has always been its rogue's gallery, making Togashi a wonderful fit for the series.

However, due to health issues, Togashi's ability to draw has diminished, so as an exception we have paired him up with an artist to take over art duties while he handles writing. We have decided to go with Andy Price.

Andy Price is an artist that is primarily known for drawing much of the MLP comics by IDW. That doesn't sound like much of a sell on its own, but Andy Price's artwork on that book has been far and away the highlight of the series, with a unique art style that easily nails all kinds of emotions, further making a good fit for Batman's rather manic villains.

Also I want personally just want to see what he'd do with human characters in a comic.

Plus, he's done DC commissions already, let's just hire him!

That's a nice, classic Batman pin-up and the evil (?) horse in the pages you posted is really expressive in an operatic, over the top way that I think would suit Batman's villains really well. Even if I shrink it back to a thumbnail it's a really striking page composition wise with really dramatic lighting, I'd be pretty stoked to see that guy take a stab at a Bat book. I've never read HxH but I've heard good things and I know drat sure I want to know more about the guy who looks startled to be wrapped up in Dippin Dots.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How Wonderful! posted:

That's a nice, classic Batman pin-up and the evil (?) horse in the pages you posted is really expressive in an operatic, over the top way that I think would suit Batman's villains really well. Even if I shrink it back to a thumbnail it's a really striking page composition wise with really dramatic lighting, I'd be pretty stoked to see that guy take a stab at a Bat book. I've never read HxH but I've heard good things and I know drat sure I want to know more about the guy who looks startled to be wrapped up in Dippin Dots.

I'd actually recommend the anime adaptation of Hunter x Hunter over the manga itself.

The Phantom Troupe is one of the highlights of HxH for me. It's basically a way of writing villains I've really grown fond of over the years where they may be evil, greedy, and all kinds of nasty things, but they still have friends and people they like rather than just rush to backstab the other.

Bonolenov is also one of the weirder members of the Troupe

The boxing visuals have nothing to do with his power is the funniest part about him.

Evil horse is a changeling named Queen Chrysalis that leads a hive of what are basically a g-rated succubus. Disguise themselves as other people and then suck the love out of people for food. The comic, I think, gets away with quite a bit more by virtue of the people working on it realizing that the readership is almost certainly adults.

Also this isn't Andy Price, but I think you'd enjoy this panel :v:

What makes me interested in seeing these two work on Batman, is that I think they'd generally avoid one of the things I really don't like about modern Batman comics in just turning all the villains into mass murderers for Batman to beat up. Togashi definitely doesn't have problems with having villains kill, but his writing for the villains generally goes above making them nothing more than killers. Even Hisoka, whose entire character is based on how he likes killing powerful people and the thrill it gives him, isn't written in such a one note way I often see Batman villains given.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
lifg is up x 2, with Roth back on deck

Skwirl I see you posting elsewhere! Get in here and do your picks yo

Vargo has one pick to make as well.

Honestly folks I don’t know manga at all outside of like (e: a bunch of people who maybe will be drafted). I’m getting a real interesting exposure to it through this, which is very cool.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
The reason I like Archie Comics so much is that the have such a basic blank slate to start from that you can add basically any elements you want to them, really take any tone you want with them, and still be true to the spirit of the character. For me, no Archie Comics line has proven that more than Sabrina, The Teenage Witch

Sabrina is/can be extremely kid-friendly - it's a story of a young girl learning to use her powers and dealing with boys and crushes and high school things. But, as we've seen since Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa used Sabrina to springboard the Archie Horror line, since her powers broadly invoke the occult, there's a whole playhouse of darker ideas for creatives to use, plenty of opportunities to literally dance with the devil.

That's why in the third round, Archie Comics selects Neil Gaiman to head up the Sabrina, the Teenage Witch line. Neil has great success in both the young adult and mature-audiences markets and he's not afraid of introducing darker themes into kid-friendly literature.

And for era? Let's have some fun and send Neil back to 1980-1992, the height of Satanic Panic, and see if we can't get ourselves a church boycott or two.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Humanoids comes from a proud Euro-comics tradition, and for our next two picks we’re going to lean into that.

When American comics leaned into Superheros, Franco-Belgian comics leaned into Fantasy and Science Fiction. From Moebius to Hergé, it’s a great tradition that Humanoids is proud to represent. But with today’s first pick, we’ll be making a bet on the future instead of looking backwards.

Jason Brubaker

With a background in Dreamworks animation, and currently up for an Eisner for ReMind, Jason Brubaker writes smart, weird, all-ages sci-fantasy. In addition to representing a proud tradition of genre comics, he’ll also be leading the way in showing that, despite the last 30 years of industry trends, comics can be for kids.

For our second pick we’ll be leaning into the one of the other great traditions of eurocomics: transgressive comics. Even though “transgressive” is normally just critic-speak for “sexist”, Humanoids believes that pushing the boundaries is always a noble pursuit.

Peter Bagge

Specifically the Weirdo and Neat Stuff years.

This pick will also head up our attempt to break into the North American Slice-of-Life League.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To finish off the big trinity of DC, we have gone with Paru Itagaki of Beastars fame to write and draw Wonder Woman

Itagaki's work on Beastars feels very shonen, while being a more slow paced version that focuses on character relationships more than hot blooded action.

Itagaki's artwork on Beastars also shows a great skill at portraying visual expression, even with the limitation of using anthro characters

This kind of approach would be a great fit for Wonder Woman as the kind of character that prefers to talk and speak out instead of jumping in to fight for the fun of it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Here's one I was excited about, although I held off on the pick for a bit to see if anyone else would claim him.

Everybody knows Popeye, renowned Sailor Man and spinach guzzling freak, although a lot of his cultural residue comes from the masterful Fleischer Studios cartoons. His first burst of popularity, however, was as the breakout star of E.C. Segar's Thimble Theater, which started in 1919 and ran for just over nine years before finally introducing Popeye. Thimble Theater remains a gleefully anarchic comic brimming with wild and unpredictable energy-- one which did a ton imo to codify the medium's slapstick, cavalier approach to comedy violence. Segar's Popeye is an unexpected radical, always prepared to pop a cop in the jaw or overthrow a tinpot dictator. Here's a brief montage of him either beating the poo poo out of somebody, getting the poo poo beaten out of him, or getting ready to beat poo poo.

Before I reveal who I think is the right choice to helm a Thimble Theater reboot worthy of Segar's manic dynamism, I want to take a brief detour into a comic I see as one of the spiritual descendants of Popeye:

Jack Cole's Plastic Man literalized the rubbery, elastic, invincible bodies of Segar's characters, stretching the potential limits of the cartoon body to their wildest extremes. If Popeye's punches and brawls defied realistic physics, Jack Cole used Plastic Man and Woozy Winks to turn the comic book scrap into a surrealist feast:

That's why the only person Fantagraphics can trust with E.C. Segar's legacy is the only person that has ever made sense to carry on Jack Cole's:

Kyle Baker is, to my mind, indisputably one of the greatest living cartoonists-- funny as poo poo, fervently political, and committed to a career-wide testing and probing of his craft and of his medium.

From the fierce satire of his early masterpiece, The Cowboy Wally Show

to his breakout pencils on Damage Control in 1991, and onwards to stuff as varied as his searing Nat Turner biography or the abovementioned Plastic Man run, he's been both one of the most radical creators in his field both socially and aesthetically.

(plus, as his 1990 Dick Tracy miniseries for Marvel proves, he knows his way around the grammar of early newspaper strips)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
How Wonderful is just killing it with these picks.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
As an observer, this thread has been fantastic so far--lots of creators to add to my Check Out Someday list.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Kyle Baker is one of the most versatile creators, I knew he wouldn’t last.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I have two creative teams in mind for my next couple picks, now I'm really nervous I'm not going to get them

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo sorry for not making my pick today folks.

Skip me for now, I’ll pick tomorrow when I have time to do a solid post with pictures.

Skwirl seems to have abandoned. I’ll give it another round I guess, then we can either keep going without them or see if anyone else would like to replace them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So much for yesterday. Let's try to get this thing back on track.

I'll start by picking my fourth creator, the person who will set the tone for a third "imprint" at Image (I decided that Steranko and Kirby can work together, and Wendy of course will have her own).

Image selects Joelle Jones to run a noire / crime line. I didn't love her writing on Catwoman, but it was great on Lady Killer, and I adore her art. Everything is super clean and stylized and cool, and her characters are gorgeous, but she still manages to have the art look dangerous and dark.

Image so far:

Imprint #1 (Name TBD): Absolutely bonkers cosmic poo poo
Kirby
Steranko

Imprint #2 (Name TBD): Fantasy
Pini

Imprint #3 (Name TBD)
J. Jones

Vargo is up, let's say until 3pm EDT, Skwirl is skipped x3 and can pick whenever

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 8, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
yooooooo

let's try to get this thing back on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I don't know if the order's all higgledy piggleby but I'm good to go whenever!