Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I didn't read the whole thing so I am going to say I am in and I am going to pick Vertigo and I don't care if they are defunct. Did I do that right?

JT Kull's Firestorm is gonna be this generations Animal Man. Bank it

Madkal fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Roth posted:

I'll be the boring one and take DC

Do you want to buy me out and give me tons of comic book monies?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just wait til you all get a look at my Chuck Austen/Walt Flanagan Vertigo reboot of The Question.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

There’s still time for you to do that. :)

Anyway, for those who have signed up, thoughts on plan to start as of Friday night / Saturday morning?

Saturday Morning will work better for me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

Saturday morning it is.

24 hour notice of start, we kick off tomorrow at 10am.

I'll randomize the order later tonight.

That's 10 am pacific time right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
West coast = best coast

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Are we talking about our pics here and why we picked them?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
(Apologies for the phone posting. Won't be able to do pics)

Greetings to the President, fellow managers and the fair people of this fine internet. Before we begin I want to congratulate Xenoscope for winning the title in the previous season.
Coming from a franchise that heavily reminisces about our near perfect run in 1994 and 2011 we have decided to play on those fond thoughts and hopefully recapture the magic (while barely acknowledging the way other franchises have progressed). With the knowledge that we have access to other franchises "assets" that we can use to bring great critical acclaim only to have those assets cruelly ripped away from us when we need them most we have decided to draft an industry vet who has great experience with the inner workings and reimaginings.
Our first round pic will work as our EiC, with the mission statement of bringing in new talent, guiding the Vertigo line and bringing a certain prestige with their name to have us rise from the ashes and recapture the magic we once had.

For our first round draft pick, Vertigo is proud to draft in Grant Morrison.

No stranger to the Vertigo line, Morrison got his start in American comics using previously dwindling characters to bring in a new prestige to comics. We hope that he might be able to do the same once again. His work with many greats makes us optimistic that he will be able to attract old veterans like Alan Moore back to Vertigo, as well as scouting talent for the next wave of upcoming superstars.

With all that being, we finally want to thank DC comics who will always always always support us and make sure that our needs and cares are looked over until the end of time. Thank you. And Bruins suck.

Edit: oh right. Era. I'm gonna go from 1994-2011 to cover the two good glorious years when we nearly won the cup (just ignore the lean years in between)

Madkal fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 30, 2020

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hope I didn't break this draft. Is it still happening?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck I knew I should have take Karen.

Roth is up until 3, with How Wonderful on deck.

General question, but do we want to give more time for the picks than 2 hours? There’s no real rush and there are only 9 of us, so slowing down may make it easier for people. 4 hours instead?

Firstly thanks for doing this. It probably isn't easy so thanks for your patience and such.
Four hours works for me. I figure people have other things going on and such.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
On phone: C'mon DC.....yes I know you want to see....yes......I know.....sales......like the 90's......I get it. We are trying to bring a prestige here.....no......listen.....we have someone lined up already........I know you like him and want to keep giving him......please, we're begging you....you can't be serious....I mean.....not him. Anyone but him......Yes I know he has an eye for scouting artistic talent but that is because....We are a prestigious title....yes he is a popular name but......C'MON......couldn't we at least get Jim instead of.....you already cancelled our Blue Devil reboot and we hadn't even announced it yet.....why are you?....fine....we will announce it.

Thank you everyone. It is with pride....with happin......we are being forced to announce that for our second round pick Vertigo, owned by DC comics are going to pick Rob Lie.......know what!? Screw it. We are proud, happy and honoured to announce our second round pick Will Eisner. Hear that DC! Eisner said he would work for us. We are talking Contract with freaking God Eisner here. And you wanted us to say no and go with Liefeld? Eisner at second round! We aren't walking away from that. What's he gonna work on? We don't know! It's Will loving Eisner and he could say that he is gonna draw a 1,000 page book of a geriatric taking a dump on a sidewalk and we would be crazy not too publish that. You hear us DC. Eisner is coming to Vertigo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hi there everyone. Firstly want to apologize for that outburst for our previous announcement. DC, thanks for forgiving ourselves. We promise not to keep courting Marvel comics with the promise of a meta-fictional Adam Warlock cartoon, but if you could please cool it down with all the talk about Black Label that would be appreciated.

Now on for our third pick. As some will know, our organization has had much success with siblings. Sure they are usually twins but in this case we are willing to make an exception. Now some will say "but you can only have one person, not too" but we figured because they are siblings they are practically the same person right? And if you don't buy that argument we would have to kill one of the siblings and let Morrison perform a ritual that would allow the dead siblings soul to possess the live siblings body so they would be two people at one (he promised us he could do that). DC, why are you shaking your head at us? We thought you would like this plan.

Anyway, until we get kicked out or sold for spare parts, Vertigo is proud to announce the arrival of Lana and Lily Wachowski (aka the Wachowskis). Now I am hearing some of you murmur "did they write or draw any comics and we are happy to say "yes" (so you can't disqualify us for this)

Now the Wachowskis are none to comic book fans and movie fans alike. Blowing up on the scene with their Matrix movies (which were originally planned as comics) and moving on to other fan properties as Speed Racer and.....Jupiter Ascending....their vision is grand and thought provoking at the same time.

As what they will be writing for us, well our EiC being a big fan of meta-fiction and irony has decided to let the Wachowski's take a swing at one of his original comics and they will be starting with a 12 part maxi series of the Invisibles
We look forward to seeing what the siblings bring to the comic world after so many years working in film. As Keanu would say "Woah" indeed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ladies and gentlemen.....and Dark Horse if you are listening and need a new boutique line to publish some critically acclaimed comics (just tell DC). For our next pick we are going to bring a man whose wacky, satirical, sardonic, humourous style will remind many of Vertigo's roots. He has produced some of the most famous cult classic of the 70's, finding a fresh spin on old characters and creating many of his own that have stood the test of time. Whether it is the strange storytelling style found in Omega the Unknown, or the witty insightful look on humanity as seen through a white duck from another galaxy, our man creates stories with a mix of humanity and irreverence. We are proud to announce the arrival of.....

Steve Gerber

Now despite his skills at creating new and wonderful characters we have come to an understanding that his first task will be writing a classic, wacky DC character (unless Marvel is interested in perhaps purchasing an influential mature reader focused comic book line). For his first title under Vertigo, Gerber will be writing another cult classic character. A character very much an item of it's time. A character that took its influences from classic horror stories and transformed them into a hippie trip.

We are talking about....Brother Power the Geek

Now will Gerber keep Brother Power in the 70s? Will he bring him into a modern era? Will he kill Brother Power in the first issue? Well I guess we would have to wait and see (in other words please don't cancel this title before it comes out, DC)

(author's note: Imgur is being wonky otherwise I would actually post some more pictures)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well looks like it is me again.

Comic book publishers/owners, players/writers-artists, commissioner. As you all know Vertigo was the place to go to for modern horror. Whether it came from a frightful scare through the scary monsters featured in Swamp Thing, or the existential dread that permeated through Animal Man, we have always had terror in our thoughts. While going back to our roots, we also look forward to bringing in new, exciting talent to carry our tradition to a new generation, and that is why we are proud to announce the arrival of....

Emily Carroll

You might know Carroll from such works as
Throught the woods, When I arrived at the Castle, and Speak (based on the novel

Her style of cartoonish horror felt like a fresh new take on horror, especially that of the gothic kind, and her short stories felt like a natural fit for a new ongoing House of Secrets book. Right now as it stands, the book will be an anthology horror book with Carroll overlooking the stories, with a rotation of artists and writers to use as she sees fit. We look forward to scaring the bejeezus out of our readers again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

BREAKING: BLEEDING CRUEL REPORTS THAT BRAND ECHH COMICS HAS FIRED EDITOR IN CHIEF SKWIRL DUE TO DERELICTION OF DUTIES, FINANCIAL DIFFICULTIES DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS, AND ALSO SMELLING VERY BAD. ENDLESS MIKE HAS BEEN HIRED TO TAKE OVER HIS DUTIES.

Asked to comment, Endless Mike said "I will take this job very seriously, however, due to our ongoing budget issues, we will be focusing on cartoonists able to write and draw their books. For my first hire, we will be tapping Skottie Young, creator of I Hate Fairyland, co-creator of Bully Wars and Middlewest, as well as adapting The Wizard of Oz for Marvel. We don't know what he has in store for us, but we couldn't be more excited to find out!"

If this was reported by Rich Johnson I will assume it's BS

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm currently camping. I am happy to skip my pick and maybe come back to it later.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I can work on slightly effort based post tomorrow

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Phone call:

Vertigo: Hi Grant....yes can you hear.....good good....... So we know it's been a while since we last drafted some people for DC and all and we know we agreed to let you have creative control on who we bring in but.......listen can you stop laughing for a few seconds and just......who is there with you?......we can hear someone say "what do those DC wankers want......listen Grant you can't be serious with your pick......I mean......yes we know that they have appeared in comics before but the rules.....yes the rules Grant, there are rules for.......you know the part where it says......yes we know about that who ink thing.....but. (sigh) Have you considered that the one capitalistic arsehat might try screw us over with merchand......yes I know we have like a billion Batman things that we sell every year but we are talking about Ge......alright I will say it he is a gigantic arsehole......no I didn't call him a talentless greedy dildo, that was you....seriously who do you have in your house, and can you get them to stop calling us directionless gits? Fine fine. We will allow you this pick, but we get to chose the next one deal? (sigh)

end of call.

It is with, great pleasure that Vertigo announces the band KISS as our next pick. With broad theatricality and a 15 year old boys imagination we are sure that the members of KISS will make some....memorable comics. Also Gene Simmons is now head of marketting at DC, and Paul Stanley has agreed to do something if we just give him a chance. The members of KISS have also promised not to belittle Ace Frehley more than once a day and let him have a say for 10 seconds per hour. Also Peter Criss is....well no-one cares about Peter Criss.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hey all. I'm away until Wednesday so I will gladly give up my spot to someone else.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Skip me and I will come back to it. I trust everyone not to take my pick before I get there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Right I do. I will make it tomorrow when I am not drinking and watching road house (okay I might still be watching road house tomorrow when I make my pick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sorry for the delay folks, we have been trying to...distract Grant.....from making any more picks. He has demanded quite a few doozies and because he has final say over who works for Vertigo we had to make him write down a few and go through them and pick the more suitable ones. After being called cat fart smelling inadequate cowards for not letting Grant resurrect, and we quote here, "Aleister Crowley's sexy bloated corpse" to write a romance comic, we have settled on one name we can get excited for, and for the right reasons (we were "excited for Kiss" but not for the right reasons.

Vertigo is proud to announce the arrival of one.....

Stephen King. Now Mr. King is famous throughout the world for his tales of horror and dread and we figured that would go great with some Vertigo titles, and lucky for us DC has agreed to let us use some of their horror based characters for Mr. King to write, and we just know that DC would never tell us that we have to stop using those characters and threaten to shut us down just so they can have a character like Ragman show up for one panel in a Batman comic.

The first project Stephen has agreed to write for us is a Spectre ongoing comic, and we can't wait to see what he comes up with.

Sorry, we just received word from DC that Stephen King can't write a Spectre ongoing because DC wants to use the character in their Summer Days special anthology. Alas....