Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Still not entirely sure why we have Leton, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Because he is the only ice mage.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gotta collect all the Alley kids! Except Carter cuz he went nuts. And let's not even bother trying to talk to Na'am and Turk despite recognizing them multiple times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
That's the Trails part, why are we suddenly getting multiple cg artwork of their lives

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, some kind soul posted how to change mastery quantities with save editing. that takes care of my big problem with the system, and i can now craft every available mastery by adding large amounts of a few types as ingredients. the locked stuff remains locked, but grinding for junk masteries is unnecessary. adding too many of too many different masteries fucks up mastery crafting, so keep backups of the save and backup save (the game uses both).

there's more ambitious stuff you can do including adding unreleased characters, but all i ever wanted was to cut through the bullshit restrictions they layered over a robust passive skill system.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh man, just realized the +XP mastery line has to be actively researched after being frustrated by the lack of Insight while making masteries for Sion. If you've slept on them I recommend researching the Learning > Understanding > Insight line ASAP to fit them into your lower level party members.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Oh man, just realized the +XP mastery line has to be actively researched after being frustrated by the lack of Insight while making masteries for Sion. If you've slept on them I recommend researching the Learning > Understanding > Insight line ASAP to fit them into your lower level party members.

It's better to slap on the highest one (70% exp gain) with the mastery that gives exp to anyone that's lower level than the character (Supporter). So like Giselle would be the earliest one, since she's so much higher level than your guys when you get her, as an example.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is there any violent or repeatable case where you get to fight Sharky or Carter? I am nearing level 40 and somehow still don't have Phoenix to put on Irene, I would prefer to hunt that while giving everyone XP instead of doing one of the early story missions.

By the way, the game is on special and has an art book out, looks like it is concept art plus the cutscene and loading screen art.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Sharky shows up in one of the relatively early violent cases. I wanna say Slum of Shadow Fog?

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Can someone please share some beginner tips for this game?

I've read the "before I play" page, but I still don't get several seemingly key aspects.

1. So I can equip the masteries. But I seem to randomly unlock them now through some random actions. Then I've read about some people saying they need to be crafted and all. And they can be upgraded as well? Then some stuff about mastery board and all. And the masteries need very expensive stuff before I can respec. So now I'm just overwhelmed, especially when I'm trying to just blindly play it without referring to any guides.

I especially don't understand the following statement from the page: "Make sure to make a separate mastery board for each class".

2. How is the experience gain in this game? Do I need to feed certain chars kills? I kinda understand that I should prevent the VHPD police from actually killing, but is killing the only way to gain experience? Just need to make sure I spent a minimum amount of grinding, since if there are support classes for example, I want them to be on-level with others as well.

3. Are there enemies which only spawn on the lower level difficulties only? How about on higher than Hard difficulties?

4. Are the grenades/items uses are mission-based like XCOM? Or they have limited actual charges?

5. How important for me to run around to collect all those chests in a mission? I've just finished the 1st big mission (the one where you gathers everyone), and there seem to be a ton of those chests. Should I actually find them all in a level before finishing? Do they respawn if I repeat the level?

6. Any newbie traps which I should be aware of? Like I said, I would like to minimize grinding if possible.

Thanks a lot in advance!

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
1. You get masteries as drops from enemies you kill, and (repeatable) story decisions you make. Mastery crafting lets you use them as raw materials for making other masteries, particularly the class-level-unlockables. Every mastery (once acquired once) is ultimately constructible from any raw materials through a chain of dependencies, so once you find a mastery for the first time, you’re 99% never going to have to worry about hunting for a second copy (unless one of its dependencies is something you haven’t unlocked yet, but I’ve had that happen twice in over a hundred hours).

Each class leads into two advanced classes that can be freely switched between once unlocked, so that’s why you’re advised to keep a separate mastery board for each of those two (not a huge priority at first). Be sure to read the interface instructions on the mastery research page, as shift- and double- clicking are needed to actually follow links back and forth. There’s a lot less hunting in long lists involved than it looks like.

Read the guides on Steam for mastery sets. It’s not worth guessing, they’re the backbone of mid game onwards, and the steam guides are way more complete and reliable than any wikis that might be floating around.

2. Easiest way is to hit (I think) enter to pull up the combat log to get do details. Sharing is a thing by default and there are multiple masteries (both on the giving and receiving end) that ramp up both gain and sharing dramatically.

3. Yes, some enemies only show up on hard or up.

4. If you use at least one charge of an item during a mission, one instance of the item is used up. So, if you use it once, might as well go hog wild with the rest of the charges and get your money’s worth.

5. Not particularly. Chests respawn and have random contents, and all the best stuff is crafted or from enemy drops.

6. As mentioned up thread, there is next to no consequence for losing a unit during a mission. Turn order manipulation is a lot more common and significant in this game than in any other turn-based game I’ve played, and it very easily leads to some units getting many more turns than others. When counterattack says it costs 30ap, what that means is that you’ll be killing big balls of melee ads on their own turns. Don’t expect to actually get to take your own turn with that unit until the ball gets cleared up. Likewise, having a bunch of your cops suppression fire on a single target is going to keep them locked down for a meaningful amount of time.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 18, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

srulz posted:

6. Any newbie traps which I should be aware of? Like I said, I would like to minimize grinding if possible.

You get to pick a company-wide mastery which affects all your party, but in my experience the best ones are either the one increasing exp gain to level up a bit higher than the mission levels or the one which increases mastery drops. Either can really help cut down on grinding.

Getting knocked into a wall and stunned is more common than you'd think and makes your tanks get shredded. Don't assume someone is invincible just on raw stats. Similarly its easy to build a character who never takes a turn because they're constantly doing things that increase their AT (like counter-attacking) and getting swarmed by enemies that delay your turn. On the other hand if you can build someone to decrease their AT on attacking that can be incredibly strong (Hero Irene with Solitary Fighter is your first taste of this).

Also when you start making actual builds for your characters, I strongly recommend looking up the guide on steam which has all the mastery sets in it. It really helps. Theres so many sets that it saves you a ton of time figuring them out.

ZearothK posted:

Is there any violent or repeatable case where you get to fight Sharky or Carter?

I had the same issue until I worked out that you can replay previous story cases from the bookshelf and the enemy info progression counts towards them. It look an embarrassing amount of time to work that out.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jun 18, 2020

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
This is a helpful series of posts! I have some newbie questions of my own:

1) I can unlock another district, and I seem to have only one choice currently. Districts somehow determine what missions I can take? But they also have different specific bonuses and people seem to suggest specific sets of them are better. Do I unlock this one now? Can I change later? Does choice of district affect story missions and what/who unlocks when?

2) What settings do you all play on to speed things up? I see settings to make turns go faster and suppress some pop-ups, but as a newbie I'm not sure what info isn't critical. These 1.5h missions with my 2 guys + 20 others are pretty brutal when you can't save in the middle.

3) "Make sure to make a separate mastery board for each class". Mastery boards seem to be 1/character, and changes require limited-resource training manuals. Do I at some point unlock the ability to have multiple boards/character or something?

4) Is exp sharing enough that I don't really need to care about trying to make sure my dudes (vs. the loaner cops) get the last hits?

5) Guys that only show up on Hard difficulty is only a thing on the purple/violent missions, right? I think I read that on the steam forums somewhere.

6) Is this part on BeforeIPlay "A little trick with dashing attacks. Some attacks, mostly close range melee moves, can be executed as a dashing attack in which you both move and attack in the same action. However, the further away you are from your target the worse your accuracy is, even with these. So if you're at double move distance away from a target, you should almost always move first before executing the attack, to reduce the distance penalties." still valid or was it patched out? I haven't been noticing much of a difference when I try it out.

7) Sion seems to go into overdrive once/mission and Albus never gets close. Albus's overdrive seems to be based on wind attacks but most people suggest playing him as a swordsman since you have better mages. Is there a way to give him a different overdrive mechanism that works with sword builds?

Thanks!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lakitu7 posted:

This is a helpful series of posts! I have some newbie questions of my own:

1) I can unlock another district, and I seem to have only one choice currently. Districts somehow determine what missions I can take? But they also have different specific bonuses and people seem to suggest specific sets of them are better. Do I unlock this one now? Can I change later? Does choice of district affect story missions and what/who unlocks when?

2) What settings do you all play on to speed things up? I see settings to make turns go faster and suppress some pop-ups, but as a newbie I'm not sure what info isn't critical. These 1.5h missions with my 2 guys + 20 others are pretty brutal when you can't save in the middle.

3) "Make sure to make a separate mastery board for each class". Mastery boards seem to be 1/character, and changes require limited-resource training manuals. Do I at some point unlock the ability to have multiple boards/character or something?

4) Is exp sharing enough that I don't really need to care about trying to make sure my dudes (vs. the loaner cops) get the last hits?

5) Guys that only show up on Hard difficulty is only a thing on the purple/violent missions, right? I think I read that on the steam forums somewhere.

6) Is this part on BeforeIPlay "A little trick with dashing attacks. Some attacks, mostly close range melee moves, can be executed as a dashing attack in which you both move and attack in the same action. However, the further away you are from your target the worse your accuracy is, even with these. So if you're at double move distance away from a target, you should almost always move first before executing the attack, to reduce the distance penalties." still valid or was it patched out? I haven't been noticing much of a difference when I try it out.

7) Sion seems to go into overdrive once/mission and Albus never gets close. Albus's overdrive seems to be based on wind attacks but most people suggest playing him as a swordsman since you have better mages. Is there a way to give him a different overdrive mechanism that works with sword builds?

Thanks!

1) You unlock a district for each fully licensed Troubleshooter you have. Don't worry, it will come gradually. No effect on what missions you get, just on the periodic bonuses you receive.

2) I play with my characters fast and NPCs at the fastest. You may want to play with stuff at normal values until you get used to it. Note that the game autosaves in your turn, not only on checkpoints, so you can leave a mission at any time to return later, checkpoints are only used when you fail the case.

3) Yeah, you get a new board for free with each class unlock.

4) It can be. Currently I have my two highest level characters with the Supporter mastery - which gives extra XP to lower level allies when they make a kill, which is certainly helping the whole party catch up. That does combine with the masteries that increase XP gain, so your more support role characters can be just fine.

5) Yeah, the special enemies from hard/cruel only show up on Special missions.

6) I think it's been patched out.

7) You can give him masteries that will make him Overcharge faster, but it's not really necessary. SP gain is based on the vigor cost of skills, however, not on whether attacks are magical or otherwise, I think?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

ZearothK posted:

Note that the game autosaves in your turn, not only on checkpoints, so you can leave a mission at any time to return later, checkpoints are only used when you fail the case.
Holy crap, that helps so much! They need a little "game is saving now" indicator like most games with auto-save. I found an post on the Steam forums where people were asking them to add a manual save during battles, so I thought this didn't exist.

ZearothK posted:

7) You can give him masteries that will make him Overcharge faster, but it's not really necessary. SP gain is based on the vigor cost of skills, however, not on whether attacks are magical or otherwise, I think?

I must be confusing the different types of points. There are a lot of types of points :sigh:.

Otherwise, on #1, can I change districts later?

Thanks again!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The dash attack thing is very much still in, I may have just explained it poorly, so here it is in screenshot form:

Note how the DISTANCE accuracy penalty gets removed once I move Albus closer to the Negoori.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Infinity Gaia posted:

The dash attack thing is very much still in, I may have just explained it poorly, so here it is in screenshot form:

Note how the DISTANCE accuracy penalty gets removed once I move Albus closer to the Negoori.

Ops, color me corrected! For some reason I thought distance didn't factor in the actual math for melee attacks.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Infinity Gaia posted:

Thanks! Maybe I was testing when my dudes were close enough both ways to not have much of a penalty. Starter characters in the tutorial level can't move as far. I'll pay more attention to the hit percentage breakdown; I didn't realize it would be a specific line item.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, the game actually is very transparent about everything modifying your hit chance and damage in that little breakdown so it's useful to keep an eye on it so you don't get surprised by guys with 100% block chance and the like.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Note that, by moving, you lose the +20 to hit still bonus, so if your distance penalty is less than 20%, you're better off just charging.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
If theres any benefit to the extremely obvious way early access strung out the introduction of gameplay systems across the campaign, it’s that it saved me from having to work robot construction, beast evolution, and crafting into newbie question answering. Or having to field questions about the current last party member’s special mechanic.

I can say don’t sleep on grenades and non-healing potions, the cops get different kinds as you go along to encourage you to use them, and they’re a great way to give units ways to support each other, since it’s really hard otherwise to get synergy between characters.

What I mean to say is, stuff that procs on hitting status afflicted targets is a lot more convenient if everyone’s already bleeding or on fire by the time the melees get there.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 18, 2020

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
At what point DOES crafting items become worthwhile? I felt like I looked at the system at levels 15 and 20 and didn't see anything I preferred to make there that would be better (and less grindy) than just purchasing random what-have-you at the markets. Is there a specific point or utility to crafting that I'm missing?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Memnaelar posted:

At what point DOES crafting items become worthwhile? I felt like I looked at the system at levels 15 and 20 and didn't see anything I preferred to make there that would be better (and less grindy) than just purchasing random what-have-you at the markets. Is there a specific point or utility to crafting that I'm missing?

The main point of crafting is that you eventually get a character whose weapons cannot be found in shops, boxes or dropped from enemies so it's only way to upgrade her weapon. Also at higher levels there's no longer up-to-date equipment in the shop so it's more random whether you find an upgrade.

I beat the entire game without crafting though, so...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

I never crafted either, just be diligent in getting the black box loot.

You can buy equipment, just be warned they tail off in scaling after a certain point and are super expensive (but weapon levels stop mattering that much once you're level 40+)

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

Unfortunately, the way to get the crafting recipients for higher level things is to make a few of the ones one tier down the level chain. The point is to be able to make the best usables, the best gear sets, let you gamble on purples at top level, it’s the only way to get any weapon upgrade at all for one of the later characters, and it gates one of the two summonable minions systems.

Basically, by the end you’ll usually be disassembling most of your equipment drops for raw materials, because aside from red gear this is where it’s at.

I recommend picking up a district set that feeds you random recipe unlock process to make the whole thing go quicker. Other than that, just shove raw materials into crafting whatever bullshit has a meter next to it every now and again.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 19, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

If there weren't screenshots and an honest to god steam store page I'd think you all were making this up. 5 pages of posts and I still feel like I've learned nothing about this game, and yet I'm intensely intrigued. Gonna pick it up and give it a shot.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've been playing the game for 8 hours and I just got my third party member. This is definitely a slow roll of a game isn't it?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I've been playing the game for 8 hours and I just got my third party member. This is definitely a slow roll of a game isn't it?

Yeah, the campaign and features were built out over the course of the early access period, so it’s a fairly steady rate of getting new characters up until just about the end of the campaign.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I just finished the game. Pretty fun, pretty ridiculous, and it's pretty funny that you take forever to set up half a plot then the game ends. I ended with my people between level 44 and 49. Towards the end I found it hard / impossible to use all the mastery points available. I really enjoyed thinking about different ways to put together chains of masteries. Figuring out mastery sets was a little less fun but still satisfying. It felt balanced and challenging right to the end, which is something XCOM hasn't managed. The last mission with all those snipers reinforcing each other took me about 8 tries I think. Though, about level 25-35 I was gliding though missions. Sort of a U shaped difficulty curve.

I don't get what the point of the training manual is, gameplay wise - why does there need to be a mastery arranging tax. But, there wasn't that much to do with money anyway. The enthusiasm or whatever (the resource depleted by missions and refilled by food) mechanic also seemed pointless, since a sandwich and a drink counteracted the effect totally.

The setting seemed interesting, but the game ended right as we started getting substantial exposition on it. I'll def play the sequel.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Do you ever unlock the ability to have more equipped active skills? I maxed everyone out with their upgraded classes and I'm not sure I see the point of taking them through the alternate upgraded class if it's just unlocking active skills I won't have room for anyway?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the main reason for leveling a class you don't intend to use is when that class is shared by other characters. different masteries are unlocked by each character leveling that class. this barely matters, because there are exactly two shared classes right now. maybe that will change when alisa and bianca are added, since alisa has been confirmed to have great swordsman and it seems fairly likely that bianca will get black mage.

in short, no. you never get more class ability slots.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
The active skills themselves aren’t class restricted, though. You can mix and match.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Okay, thanks for clarifying! Only 3 slots for non-limit-break abilities feels really small when you get like 7 to choose from.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
I really want to like this game - I mean, I keep playing it - but there are some things that get particularly grating (I'm in the 20s for levels). The story (if it can even be called that) is just boring and/or stupid. The translation issues sometimes create situations where you're not exactly sure what you're meant to be doing - which is really frustrating when it concerns win/loss conditions. The squad size is just too big - managing faceless VHPD is tedious. There's too much to do each turn, and with how maps/missions/enemy locations are laid out there are parts of each mission where you are just endlessly engaging in repetitive actions. Surprise win/loss conditions can gently caress off - mainly ones that involve you needing to get to the other side of the map pronto. Enemies are rather same-y.

I do enjoy the piecing together of masteries and sets.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Another important aspect of leveling both subclasses on a character is simply having the option to swap classes if you need/want to. Some characters thrive in one class earlier and in the other later (Such as Albus, who gets a significant power boost by going Magic Swordsman first, but when the last few bleed masteries and Catharsis roll around he becomes a wrecking ball on Great Swordsman).

To the poster above, I understand the frustration with controlling the VHPD, especially so relatively early on. I'm assuming you are aware of the option to set them on AI control, as well as the combat speed options? The missions get a lot less sloggy when playing at max speed, IMHO.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

To the poster above, I understand the frustration with controlling the VHPD, especially so relatively early on. I'm assuming you are aware of the option to set them on AI control, as well as the combat speed options? The missions get a lot less sloggy when playing at max speed, IMHO.

Yes, and it definitely was a lot worse before I discovered these. But still, it kind of makes the gameplay feel wee a bit bloated? Particularly when replaying missions becomes more and more important to grind and level up.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Also, just some other random thoughts: not sure what the point of Shooter Street was - that should have been cut entirely; same with the food/drink mechanic - when is money ever an issue? It just becomes busy-work; on the fence about the loot mechanic, but identifying objects again just feels like busywork. I liked the idea of jurisdictions, but it feel very constrained to watch your influence drop and not feel like you can do much about it. A lot of game mechanics are not communicated well or even at all to players. What does leveling up your company do? I assume at some point you get more jurisdictions? But what does going from 1 -> 2 actually do?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's like a dozen half-assed and mostly useless systems in this game because of feature creep. shooter street is the multiplayer hub, even though multiplayer isn't in the game and likely never will be. the design philosophy for this game is clearly to only ever add more stuff and never remove stuff even if it is pointless.

the gcpd helpers exist because the early game fundamentally does not work with just your party members. there are too many enemies and your ability to attack and defend is woefully inadequate to handle them. so, rather than rebalance the entire combat system they added a bunch of ambulatory distractions to soak up hits. once you actually get enough party members this becomes much less of a concern.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

Also, just some other random thoughts: not sure what the point of Shooter Street was - that should have been cut entirely; same with the food/drink mechanic - when is money ever an issue? It just becomes busy-work; on the fence about the loot mechanic, but identifying objects again just feels like busywork. I liked the idea of jurisdictions, but it feel very constrained to watch your influence drop and not feel like you can do much about it. A lot of game mechanics are not communicated well or even at all to players. What does leveling up your company do? I assume at some point you get more jurisdictions? But what does going from 1 -> 2 actually do?

Shooter Street has sidequests which... Honestly didn't need to be a hub or whatever, could've easily been a sub-menu. Money only ever becomes an issue if you try to get into crafting, at which point you will never have enough. It's extremely not well communicated because most players will naturally level up before that point, but from what I'm led to understand you actually get progression locked until you level your company super late in the game? Oh, and I'd say you never really have to grind in this game (unless you're into crafting/pet raising), a good strategy and mastery board will carry you a lot farther than a couple levels will.

I personally find the huge mishmash of random more or less half completed systems kind of endearing, but I can understand people who don't. I'm just the kind of person who likes playing games with a billion conflicting weird mods so something like Troubleshooters dozens of subsystems just feels comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I haven't really felt the need to do any grinding beyond trying to get that cursed Phoenix mastery off Sharky (which I did on my first run of that level 23 Violent Case) and collecting some pets for Giselle.