Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Do some of the snipers on that map just bypass magic armor/block? Sion just got completely wrecked by some support fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sandweed posted:

Do some of the snipers on that map just bypass magic armor/block? Sion just got completely wrecked by some support fire.

They have skills that halve block and dodge chances, iirc. I mean, you can use those skills too.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

It's been a while since I did the mission the first time but I finally went back and cleared the 2nd police training mission without switching the rest of my team over to blank mastery boards. Engineer Kylie was definitely the mvp. You really don't realize how busted some things are until you use them against yourself. Battle mage Irene got taken out in one turn by consecutive attack and then my Albus with both sword of protection and second wind dropped like two turns later when it was off cd. If I can find a way to squeeze roar of victory in so she can actually use reinforced attack protocol she'll be perfect.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I was fortunate that Giselle was my most optimized character when I did that mission originally, so it went by pretty smoothly. I do want to give it a run through now that my company has been built for the post-game to see if I can beat it (I think I can with a Support Fire Giselle supported by Kylie or Ray and a series of bullshit beasts or just go broke with a 0AT Giselle).

[edit]Did it with my Hunter build supported by Kylie, managed to win but it was pretty close due to Anne having Hellgate and at one point causing Giselle, Gold Tongue and Kylie to switch sides. Could probably have 100% cleared it otherwise, it was only Irene and a couple of cops standing.

lil baby anime posted:

Having to craft every module sucks. Especially when one of the ones that gets used as fodder happened to be one that required a rare drop from one of the bicron bosses or something and you weren't paying attention. I only think that happened to me once but once was enough.

Thanks! I based my first drone build on yours and then made a few others. Making modules is kind of fiddly, but I guess it went by smoother than previous times? Maybe the devs made it easier to build them or I just have a lot more resources for it than the previous times I looked at that menu.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 28, 2021

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I unlocked Giselle and ran the next mission to repair the fences in the forest. Which pets are people's favorites? I have a smattering of Yasha and and Tima so far.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I like the frogs. Their tongue attack hits everything in a line and counts as being a melee attack with range so I made a responsive attack build with huge damage and the life-steal masteries and used it as a bodyguard for my squishy characters.

I think Draki are objectively the strongest but you can only tame one at endgame.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Outside of Drakis the frog princess is probably my favourite. Amazing utility throwing out freezes and heals. But early on when you first get Giselle you can't really go wrong with a Tima. They can be built pretty sturdy with minimal investment and before you get Kylie or Leton you're a bit short on frontliners.

Otherwise frogs as a whole are pretty neat. I've never gotten much use out of yasha or dororis though.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Bear in mind a lot of the unique monsters have masteries you can only get by taming then and leveling them up. The 3 golden beasts and the Grey Yasha comes to mind.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, though while some of those masteries are nice, they're more of a completionist goal.

Both Negoori and Timas tend to be very good out of the box and well tuned builds for the common types are competitive in the post-game even when compared to Legendary Beasts or Drakis. There's a dude in the Discord who's made a Glacial Tima capable of solo'ing one of the later violent cases. I used White Cloud as my main pet for most of the late game.

Most Timas are very good as melee characters (Lightning Timas can dump a lot of ESP damage, but have speed issues), while most Big Negooris deal looooooads of damage and often have good mobility. As Nephthys said, their tongue attack has good range and damage, so it works very well with Forestallment and Counterattack. Their songs can be good buffs too, the Spotted Negoori in particular can give everyone the Hero buff, which is just beautiful.

You also shouldn't feel obligated to use a pet for an entire mission, specially if you can train them with Inrush Training (which lets them act immediately once summoned). For ranged/support pets that stick by Giselle I would suggest Pathfinder to improve both hers and the pet's AT management.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Yasha can absolutely work but you really have to go all in on their web gimmick. The previously highest level VM, aka spider hell, shows how effective fully web specced Yasha can be. They can stack up some pretty nuts bonuses. Their various venom abilities are interesting too, since you can apply a cavalcade of incredibly debilitating status effects on a crit.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
I'm getting ready to tackle the latest Violent Case, can you guys hook me up with the builds for your squads? I could really use some builds for Anne, Heixing, Ray and Leton in particular. They're all useful, but I feel like I could could push them way harder. I'd also love some tips on where to get the armor mods for drones so I can add a tanky boi to my squad, Albus and Irene are p solid but they're not really capable of handling snipers without stacking a billion cover bonuses and smokes to protect them on the approach.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Obligatum VII posted:

Yasha can absolutely work but you really have to go all in on their web gimmick. The previously highest level VM, aka spider hell, shows how effective fully web specced Yasha can be. They can stack up some pretty nuts bonuses. Their various venom abilities are interesting too, since you can apply a cavalcade of incredibly debilitating status effects on a crit.

Yeah, Yasha can be super nasty (one can literally just tame any of the V47 spiders and look at their builds), but I feel putting down webs everywhere doesn't work unless the rest of the party has the mastery to ignore those penalties. Neurotoxin is one of the strongest debuffs in the game.

Transient People posted:

I'm getting ready to tackle the latest Violent Case, can you guys hook me up with the builds for your squads? I could really use some builds for Anne, Heixing, Ray and Leton in particular. They're all useful, but I feel like I could could push them way harder. I'd also love some tips on where to get the armor mods for drones so I can add a tanky boi to my squad, Albus and Irene are p solid but they're not really capable of handling snipers without stacking a billion cover bonuses and smokes to protect them on the approach.

I am not set for Heixing and Leton there (my Leton is what I'd call good, but he's a dodge guy and the snipers in that stage don't care about it, while I haven't been satisfied with any Heixing build I've tried), but my Ray and Anne are both V50 certified.

This is my Witch. You want to stack +hit chance on your equipment and I'd recommend using a Concentration potion, because the Witch class is pretty innacurate. She wants to be in the middle of a friendly formation to benefit from The Gathering's effects on her AT and to auto-generate buffs to allies when her turn starts, I usually keep her and Sion side to side due to their synergy bonus generating mental buffs. She hits very hard (with the caveat of low hit chance without combat drugs) and is midly fragile, which is fine, because she has Second Heart and Hellgate to turn nearby non-machine enemies into temporary allies when they do take her down.

This is my White Mage. She has the default healing kit (which she should cast at the very start to give the whole party Regeneration) and is extremely tanky thanks to Rock Castle and Holy Shield. With Recovery Support she should also user her boosted healing as a reaction when needed. It is relatively bland but functional and it is pretty funny to use the child as a spearheading tank, because she can take a lot of damage. Looking over it again, I should probably replace Veteran with Mutant. Just keep Albus and Alisa far from her if you're using a Rampage build for either, as she has that aura that grants immunity to mental debuffs.

As for my Alchemist Ray, she's artillery, pure and simple. I've got White Tiger's Mark on her to increase her attack further and she benefits from Synergies with Giselle, Leton and Heixing, for Piercing Attack and Cover both ways. Somewhat fragile, but has decent dodge and the range to not be under threat (also Leton usually freezes whatever attacks her, with Giselle and Heixing finishing up). She wants to be attacking from as far as possible and her masteries are set up so she uses both Early Bird and Catharsis to recover cooldowns for the big booms, do try to keep Trance up constantly. You want to be moving through debuff clouds to convert those into buffs with Mutant. I do have other builds for Ray, but those are specialized for farming and training.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Ooh, that Ray looks pretty spiffy. Do you use the heal cloud with her, or one of the two debuff clouds instead?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Transient People posted:

Ooh, that Ray looks pretty spiffy. Do you use the heal cloud with her, or one of the two debuff clouds instead?

I've got the big blast, trance, plus the regen and acid clouds equipped.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Crafting the ultra high-quality gem is pretty useful for witches. 50 ESP power and 20% to esp hit. Between that and 10% on some random item my witch Anne is sitting at 140% hit chance before the penalties start applying.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, Yasha can be super nasty (one can literally just tame any of the V47 spiders and look at their builds), but I feel putting down webs everywhere doesn't work unless the rest of the party has the mastery to ignore those penalties. Neurotoxin is one of the strongest debuffs in the game.

That's what I mean about going all in, your entire team has to be kitted to be team web. Thankfully, there are masteries to do exactly that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Oh yeah, that definitely sounds like a thing. Spider Hell was one of the toughest challenges in the game and it could be fun to turn the tables on the opposition with that.

Sounds like I need to get to crafting those gems to get my Witch Anne into hitting something without the drugs.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 16, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Transient People posted:

My Ray build is pretty similar to ZearothK's so I won't post it but hopefully this helps (sorry if my screenshots suck):

My Anne build has all the usual White Mage stuff like ZearothK's except I prioritised the White Sandstorm and Sand Castle sets over some other stuff. The former slows enemies in 6 tiles which can be a pretty debilitating condition and the latter cancels 1 attack that would kill her. I have her with the draki scale that reduces 1 attack a turn by 90% too so she's fairly tanky. I haven't tested it out too much, I still need to try running her into a group and seeing if she slows them enough to wipe them out before she dies. I should probably swap Ready to Go for something like Mutant but I have trouble getting her to keep up in AT so eh. The healing from White Mage is nice.

A pretty typical Heixing responsive fire build, which isn't actually ideal in the endgame Violent cases but I like it so I keep it. TBH though while this build can screw you over if you're not careful as long as you keep him away from the stuff that can really punish responsive attacks like the Destrons he can be extremely effective in other parts of the map. He's one of my top killers and is often the reliable backbone of my team. You need to keep him safe from melee but he's so hard to take out in range. And basically he just makes so many attacks and gets enough AT reduction that he gets a lot of turns and does a lot of damage. I really wish I could fit Cathasis in here.

I wish I could claim total credit for this build because I really love it to bits. The freezing mastery is essential. I can't fit the Leton mastery that brings the freeze chance up to 100% but it's fine he gets so many attacks it doesn't matter. His dodge is insanely high and between these masteries and his personal mastery he gets a ridiculous amount of AT reduction when he dodges an attack while in cover. Which he will always be in because of The Perfect Stakeout and Please Help Me! With those two sets if he ends his turn in visible range of an enemy and isn't in cover he will run to the nearest cover and activate Conceal, which gives him even more dodge and block and reduces damage even if something hits him. Where he runs is unpredictable and should screw you over but in practice it doesn't. The key to this is Draki's Perfect Scale, which makes it so that he can't get flanked or lose his cover bonuses. So even running up and meleeing him is pointless because he always has insanely high dodge. And with Blind Spot even snipers with Prior Planning have really low odds to hit him. So basically you just recklessly run him into hordes of enemies and laugh as they fail to hit him which causes you to take a huge amount of turns which you then spend freezing everything. Even if something hits him he regenerates upon attacking, making him even more unkillable. It's not 100% reliable and he only does noticeable damage when attacking a frozen enemy but who cares, it's really fun and effective.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 16, 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, those look good and that Leton in particular seems cray cray.

Speaking of endgame builds, there's a someone who speedran V50 with only seven party members and made a video to prove it. They show the items and mastery boards at the end. I am now a big fan of putting Giant Killer on a Heixing with minimal HP to double his damage output against everything that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xzfYl8SIwA

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

What is the Undiscovered Past mastery from? Don't think I have that one.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Obligatum VII posted:

What is the Undiscovered Past mastery from? Don't think I have that one.

That's from Cheche, you can find him on V46 and O38.

When in doubt, the guide provides.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, those look good and that Leton in particular seems cray cray.

Speaking of endgame builds, there's a someone who speedran V50 with only seven party members and made a video to prove it. They show the items and mastery boards at the end. I am now a big fan of putting Giant Killer on a Heixing with minimal HP to double his damage output against everything that matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xzfYl8SIwA

There's some weird interaction with luck and consecutive attack going on at the beginning. Kylie takes out all the destrons with reinforced attack protocol and consecutive attack. The 1st attack is a guaranteed crit due to luck but the 2nd attack crits too. It should be a responsive attack so she should have absolutely gotten owned by auto dodging response there.

Also I had no idea that toad can just drop hero on everyone around it. I need to look at more of them cuz the only ones I've leveled are the princess and a mud one or something.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

On that note what are your best tips for taming.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Just make sure it doesn’t have any damaging debuffs and then starlight prison it after you start taming so it can’t do anything about it. I think wind chain and the transformation illusion should work as well.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, both Illusion and Starlight Prison serve as efficient debuffs that should prevent a taunted beast from killing Giselle. I'd only add that you should send people with covering fire over Giselle far and far away so they don't ruin everything.

lil baby anime posted:

There's some weird interaction with luck and consecutive attack going on at the beginning. Kylie takes out all the destrons with reinforced attack protocol and consecutive attack. The 1st attack is a guaranteed crit due to luck but the 2nd attack crits too. It should be a responsive attack so she should have absolutely gotten owned by auto dodging response there.

I think the second Consecutive Attack inherits all effects from the first attack, so Luck trumps auto-dodging response.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, both Illusion and Starlight Prison serve as efficient debuffs that should prevent a taunted beast from killing Giselle. I'd only add that you should send people with covering fire over Giselle far and far away so they don't ruin everything.

I think the second Consecutive Attack inherits all effects from the first attack, so Luck trumps auto-dodging response.

Yeah I forgot that. Responsive attack masteries and bonds need to stay away. Sion has ruined so many taming attempts for me.

Luck working on both hits is what seems inconsistent to me since it’s supposed to wear off after one use. W/o luck the consecutive attack will miss against auto dodging and darkness hunter because the 2nd hit is a treated like a separate responsive attack. With luck they both crit because luck applies to the separate second hit despite wearing off after the first use. I feel like either luck shouldn’t apply or the immunity to responsive attacks masteries shouldn’t. The 2nd would make more sense since I don’t think consecutive is actually stated to be a responsive attack but it’s treated like one unless luck is involved.

I kinda wanna test this with other stuff when I get a chance to see how it interacts. It sucks cuz I think the only other guaranteed 2nd attack after a normal one is the drone module and they can’t get luck =/

bofa salesman fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 18, 2021

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

First trick with taming: Lower hitpoints makes it faster - just be carefull not to kill it first.
There's one thing that makes taming even the hardest lengdaries trivial: Improved ice grenades from grenadier Ray, with the right skills it sets back the turn meter of anything 80 points. Throw two of them before taming, and it should not get a move.
I never got starlight prison to work, it interrupts taming for me ? I use Anne's protection shield on Giselle, that's good for one hit if things go wrong.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

You have to starlight the beast after the taming has started.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kylie has a move that makes the target take an action immediately: use that on Giselle after she starts taming and she will immediately finish taming. So you can tame without lowering their HP or stunning the enemy.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've played this game four about 50 seconds and all I can think of is this

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/819073713756438562/822697651869974548/mp4_2.mp4

e: i've only seen humans so far what does it mean "certain races" oh god

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 20, 2021

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Acerbatus posted:

I've played this game four about 50 seconds and all I can think of is this

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/819073713756438562/822697651869974548/mp4_2.mp4

e: i've only seen humans so far what does it mean "certain races" oh god

Just various animals and robots essentially. Everyone's human so far.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Clarste posted:

Kylie has a move that makes the target take an action immediately: use that on Giselle after she starts taming and she will immediately finish taming. So you can tame without lowering their HP or stunning the enemy.

Was this changed in one of the recent patches? I remember trying this way back then and getting an automatic failure on the taming attempt.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Was this changed in one of the recent patches? I remember trying this way back then and getting an automatic failure on the taming attempt.

More likely to be that they patched it out way back when and I'm remembering something from before that. I was playing this game extremely early, back when it was still in Early Access.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

It is extremely not allowed now. It will fail the capture immediately.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there still a way to submit translation suggestions?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Acerbatus posted:

Is there still a way to submit translation suggestions?

Yeah, you can add "--translation volunteer" to the Launch Options (Properties->General->Launch Options) to enable the translation supporter sub-menu, which should add a button to the left bottom corner of the screen to suggest corrections. It shows up when you press "esc" and during story vignettes.

There is also a forum thread, which Dandylion stays on top of.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Hmm it took long enough for me to play her but I think Alisa is my new fave. Wildcat engine is hilarious on draki’s nest and the argonaut set with that 50% less damage taken in overcharge mastery is ridiculous on her. I think the highest damage enemies in the game can kill her but I’m not sure they can do it again before 9 of her turns pass and she can revive again.

I tried white knight too but that suffers from the Albus problem of having cool stuff you can do in melee if you can survive in melee long enough to do it (you won’t)

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I’m also finally on the alchemist Ray train and lol I’ve been missing out. Even her leveling build is way better. I killed a single draki and an eggshell got max class exp and went up 15 levels. Meanwhile my dumbass was stuck in the stone age killing tima with Albus.

I’m gonna see if I can make a potion build work with that mastery set that forces side effects. I already know giant shrinks and reduces threat and excitement just gives overcharge so they’re already seeming pretty useful.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, Barbarian Alisa friggin' owns, pretty much my one character that is Sniper, Destron, Draki and Spider-Hell certified without needing to change builds to kick rear end against any of those threats.

Alchemist Ray with the Scholar masteries is really fantastic if you want to train beasts/drones. Haven't tried to use her potions upgrade though, so let us know how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
My computer broke a while ago and the thing about having a computer again I been most excited for is just getting to play this more lol.

Also oh my god its cute how each pet type gets their own habitat to live in the warehouse