Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

My problem is that I played 20 hours of Troubleshooter in summer last year and haven't touched it since. I need, and somewhat want, to start over, but it seems like an overwhelming task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I stuck with white mage anna because that build's much faster, and her debuff circle is really important as the game goes on, with a billion Severe Bleeding, poison grenades, and stun spammage.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Just laughing at you if your first priority in every build isn't shoving in Veteran on everyone except people who should not be getting hit ever unless things have already gone tits up (such as Giselle who is usually a billion miles away from everything). Fair point on the severe bleeding and poison though, those can be harsh as hell.

It's still great to send Witch!Anne up as a sacrifical offering if things start getting rough so she possesses most of the enemy team (so long as they aren't loving BICRONS anyways). I feel like I should probably feel guiltier about sending a teenager over to get killed over and over but gently caress it it's a good strategy and I make sure to buy her plenty of water and juice afterwards.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also mechs with spider web cannons. And generally bosses reach your crew eventually because Final Resistance is some bullshit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bosses with Final Resistance get intercepted by invincible super tank Irene as they very very slowly damage each other while the rest of the party deals with everything else, in my experience.

Seriously, Irene can get BULLSHIT levels of tanky. Magical Armor combined with Iron Heart meant she was taking peanuts damage even from loving BICRONS.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Either of the BMs (Sion, Irene) can do that but you still need to watch out for enemies with high block reduction like Skull Sniper.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I prefer to have Sion as the BIG DPS MAN with Black Mage because goddamn do I need him for stuff like Bicrons. But yeah, obviously none of the characters work perfectly on their own, its a team game and all.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I mean, Irene can. Sort of. She can last pretty much indefinitely when built for it as mentioned, and lone hero and related masteries would encourage sending her off on her own, but this game is heavy on turn delay manipulation, so once she’s gotten surrounded chances are she’s not going to be taking another turn anytime soon. I’m honestly thinking about just ditching her reactive masteries in favor of deep sea escape, since Traces of Blood Albus is the only one whose going to be able to get reliable reactive kills once impulse fields start showing up on all the bruisers.

Or, of course, you could get a frog for range 6 reactive melee attacks.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I know it's probably not as effective as Great Swordsman, especially with Traces of Blood, but I like having Albus in Magic Knight with Victory Blade and Blood Memory so he can tank melee enemies more or less indefinitely provided he doesn't get one-shot. It's a lot shakier than lol Magic Armor but it's good enough. Honestly Albus is the character I have the hardest time placing in a proper role in the late game. Everyone else has something they really excel at but Albus is just kind of too much of an average all rounder. Turning Over A New Leaf is pretty potent for putting out metaphorical fires though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I made Sion a battle mage because I don't really use up that many Black mage stuff and being able to give him Magic Armor is a huge bonus in exchange.

I think Albus does okay as a tank, if you stack all the Pierce resistance so he can live through Bicron bullshit.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What I really want to do is see how far I can get into something like a sea of fire build for Irene with drones, pet and Ray starting off the environmental fires and burn debuffs, or something similar with frag grenades, VHPD bleed procs and a more proactive Albus, but I think I’m going to wait to see if any of the new missions upcoming are a bit less snipery.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

CommunityEdition posted:

I mean, Irene can. Sort of. She can last pretty much indefinitely when built for it as mentioned, and lone hero and related masteries would encourage sending her off on her own, but this game is heavy on turn delay manipulation, so once she’s gotten surrounded chances are she’s not going to be taking another turn anytime soon. I’m honestly thinking about just ditching her reactive masteries in favor of deep sea escape, since Traces of Blood Albus is the only one whose going to be able to get reliable reactive kills once impulse fields start showing up on all the bruisers.

Or, of course, you could get a frog for range 6 reactive melee attacks.

Theres a Martial Artist mastery that gives you -10 AT as long as anyone hurting you does less than 25% of your health. With the Solitary Fighter set giving you another -20 anytime you attack or counterattack solo you can completely mitigate the counterattack cost. Irene gets like an innate 80-90% damage reduction against melee and MA gives you crazy high block and counter attack damage so as long as you're fighting melee opponents she can be totally fine with that build. I'm going to try out Battle Mage because I hear its somehow even more invincible and the CMP thing seems neat.

What do people think is Kylie's better class? I've kept her with Engineer so far but is Hacker any good?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 23, 2020

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Hacker is better mostly because machines are not super great right now. Maybe one day we can build Bicrons.

Also putting on Quick Grasp of the Situation helps a ton with AT issues, but it is expensive and you can't get it until pretty late.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 23, 2020

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I have Kylie as Engineer mostly because of Restore Protocol Automatically. That gives me unlimited uses effectively of Decoy hologram, the 4-element rapid fire attack, and her Heal/Turbo turn effect.

I give her the movement protocol as the last skill so I can consistently reach 0 on the uses, and being able to travel elevation for free like Albus is always useful.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah honestly I've mostly just made the biggest pile of hit points mech possible and use him to poke into the fog since I don't care if it gets shot up. It works pretty alright.

I've recently made an experiment trying to go all in on traps/beasts Giselle instead of just casually having the beasts hanging out and it's... Not that great. Mostly because her traps key off ESP more than Attack and she has very few ways to raise in with her equipment. Unless some of her later rifles start coming with ESP bonuses, I admit I've sort of slacked on getting new weapons to my crew.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Can someone point me toward a place where I can read up on the (second generation? How do you differentiate 90s XCom from modern XCom?) of the game? Specifically, I'm surprised how many games not only utilize the game's engine, but do basically nothing to hide it. There are five or six games out there that at first glance just look like a reskin of XCom. That sounds like I'm condemning it; I'm not, but I just haven't seen that kind of widespread use of an engine that feels so similar since the 90s and the dozens of games using Quake engines or what have you. I mean, I know a huge sample of games out there are either using Unity or Unreal, but they at least feel different from one another.

God dammit I don't know how to explain what I'm trying to learn without it sounding like I'm just bitching about this game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just finished the infamous 20 billion Bicorn mission

The last quarter of the mission, I was down to 5 characters: Anne, Ray, a melee cop, Kylie, and a Tima.

The Tima basically solo-ed and saved my rear end. Quite literally the most damaging, tankiest character I have.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tae posted:

Just finished the infamous 20 billion Bicorn mission

The last quarter of the mission, I was down to 5 characters: Anne, Ray, a melee cop, Kylie, and a Tima.

The Tima basically solo-ed and saved my rear end. Quite literally the most damaging, tankiest character I have.

... Why in the heck is your Albus unclassed?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Basically for bicron missions everybody should be holding emp grenades, but for whatever you reason you can't buy them and have to craft them. I think like two of the cops have them though.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Hey how do you replay story missions? I have seen reference in game and on steam discussions of a "case file" or something that lets you do so but I do not know if I am blind or what because I cannot find such a thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

... Why in the heck is your Albus unclassed?

I forgot to max his class first, he actually lived longer than everyone else near the end.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

SpRahl posted:

Hey how do you replay story missions? I have seen reference in game and on steam discussions of a "case file" or something that lets you do so but I do not know if I am blind or what because I cannot find such a thing.

In the office area there's a Case Record selection right next to the material index and the troublemaker list, from there you can re-launch story missions. I don't remember if there's a progress-based unlock for it or if it's available right away though.

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY

SpRahl posted:

Once you finish chapter 1, Sions day off work. The option to replay story missions appears, its the box files at the top right in the office.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SpRahl posted:

You replay them from your office, it is one of the options in the top right shelf, I am not sure if it's something you unlock after doing some missions or if it was a feature added during EA after I started playing, so if you're not finding it it is likely the former ^^ the former. You can also set them to challenge mode so enemies will be scaled to your level and give extra drops.

credburn posted:

Can someone point me toward a place where I can read up on the (second generation? How do you differentiate 90s XCom from modern XCom?) of the game? Specifically, I'm surprised how many games not only utilize the game's engine, but do basically nothing to hide it. There are five or six games out there that at first glance just look like a reskin of XCom. That sounds like I'm condemning it; I'm not, but I just haven't seen that kind of widespread use of an engine that feels so similar since the 90s and the dozens of games using Quake engines or what have you. I mean, I know a huge sample of games out there are either using Unity or Unreal, but they at least feel different from one another.

God dammit I don't know how to explain what I'm trying to learn without it sounding like I'm just bitching about this game.

I don't really know of any formal writing on the subject, but the 90's games are called X-COM and the reboot is XCOM, so there is an easy shorthand for which one you mean. XCOM has certainly been extremely influential and set a new language for the turn-based tactics genre.

I am not sure which engine Troubleshooter is in, I don't think I've seen an Unreal or Unity logo anywhere.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

RoyalScion posted:

In the office area there's a Case Record selection right next to the material index and the troublemaker list, from there you can re-launch story missions. I don't remember if there's a progress-based unlock for it or if it's available right away though.

This is all I see around there

https://imgur.com/mMZPErq

And as for progress based unlock, well I have done every story mission in the game so I doubt its that... the only other thing that maybe makes a difference is I started the file as a offline one rather than online but I don't see why that would matter

Edit: Nevermind I did it I had to click the bookshelf... man i feel dumb

SpRahl fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 24, 2020

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
For whatever reason it's called Case Record in the online version, I didn't play the offline version at all so I didn't know they were different.

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY

SpRahl posted:

This is all I see around there

https://imgur.com/mMZPErq

And as for progress based unlock, well I have done every story mission in the game so I doubt its that... the only other thing that maybe makes a difference is I started the file as a offline one rather than online but I don't see why that would matter

I'm also doing a offline save. Today I beat the story mission Sions day off, there was a brief cutscene in the office and Albus did some paperwork and then the option to replay missions was available
. I don't know what to do in your case, my suggestion would be to replay that mission but thats the problem.

^^ mischief managed ^^

PHOOsun fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 24, 2020

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
No its good I figured it out, I just assumed every time I went to the office the "bookshelf" was just superfluous text, after clicking on it it unlocked and changed its name to case file

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's no point in online saves. none of the online features exist. none of the potential online features sound worthwhile.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Seeing what people pick in missions is... SORT OF worthwhile? But yeah I agree there's not really anything to the online. I still made my save in it because eh no real reason not, honestly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can cheat in money. crafting becomes a lot better when you can simply buy most of the materials.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Eh, that's not a very good reason for me. I don't really like cheating. Oh, and I remembered the one actually useful feature of online (which I guess doesn't matter if you cheat), which is the Public Safety Meter. It goes up as people online complete missions and once it reaches 100% it triggers 3 hours of increased drop rate for both items and masteries. It is nearly always fully up, which is nice.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cheating in a single player game is just a way to bypass bullshit you don't want to deal with. spending days or weeks grinding isn't a virtue.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh, I'm not judging you or anything, I just don't like to do it personally. To each ones own.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Enjoying this so far. I remember someone in the Steam thread mentioned that there were some missable stuff. Something to do with side missions?

Full ironman mode scares me though. What are the consequences of death/failing a mission?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Enjoying this so far. I remember someone in the Steam thread mentioned that there were some missable stuff. Something to do with side missions?

Full ironman mode scares me though. What are the consequences of death/failing a mission?

None, characters die are just out of that mission and they lose "Ambition" (which a sandwich easily fills back up to full from Don).

You can even keep exp if you abandon/fail a mission.

And you WILL lose characters, it's fine. This isn't like most tactics games where losing a character was your mistake.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Tae posted:

And you WILL lose characters, it's fine. This isn't like most tactics games where losing a character was your mistake.

The mistake you made when losing a character was failing to predict there were 5 bicrons around the corner :v:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Fat Samurai posted:

Until this very latest patch there was an enemy type (Grey Yasha) which only existed in Shooter Street missions, which were not repeatable, and you could therefore miss out on it's Troublemaker info. But you can now redo Shooter Street missions so there's nothing missable anymore to my knowledge.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Infinity Gaia posted:

But yeah, obviously none of the characters work perfectly on their own, its a team game and all.

Gisele absolutely works fine on her own. I mean, I pretty much soloed the final story mission with her. You can build her to get two extra actions every time she gets a kill from outside the enemy's sight range, enough to move and shoot again, and she's strong enough to one-shot anything without Impulse Fields. Which means that she can clear an entire map in one turn as long as you take advantage of Serial Shot when necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Clarste posted:

Gisele absolutely works fine on her own. I mean, I pretty much soloed the final story mission with her. You can build her to get two extra actions every time she gets a kill from outside the enemy's sight range, enough to move and shoot again, and she's strong enough to one-shot anything without Impulse Fields. Which means that she can clear an entire map in one turn as long as you take advantage of Serial Shot when necessary.

Huh, that sounds interesting. Wouldn't the "pod" get alerted after the first kill though? I thought that nullified Shadow Sniping bonuses. And Impulse Field seems REALLY common the later you get. Can she even one shot bosses or does she have trouble with Final Resistance? What about folks with Second Heart/Phoenix? I guess if you stick in Mech Hunter she might be capable of taking out Bicrons in one shot. Might play around with it but it feels like there would be too many points of failure for Hard Challenging which is how I usually play, since any enemy might just randomly have Impulse Field.