Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
Problem description: I recently bought a MSI B450 tomahawk Max and a ryzen 5 3600 and the rig won't post.

Attempted fixes: I've tried flashing the bios using the flashback button on the motherboard. I've followed the instructions in the manual exactly. When I press the button, the motherboard turns on and any connected fans will run, but the LED indicating the update does not flash. I've tried this with the whole rig in and with everything disconnected except for the motherboard and CPU power from the power supply.

Recent changes: the motherboard is brand new and so is the CPU.

--

Operating system:No hard drive is connected

System specs: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Ryzen 5 3600
VGA SUPERNOVA 650 G2
I've tried using a SanDisk 32gb flash drive and a cheapo "kootion 2gb" drive
Nothing else is connected

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Try a different USB port, in particular one on the back not in the break-out. Or just switch which one. USB Boot/BIOS flashing from USB isn't super robust on a lot of boards and will easily fail.

I usually flash my BIOS from a HDD once a OS is installed, so you always have that workaround.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Does the board have any kind of LED diagnostics?

Have you tried formatting the smaller drive to Fat32 or ExFat? Do the instructions specify a filesystem?