Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Martman posted:

Ok so the farther away side of the bricks is actually smaller (and maybe denser, hence it being harder to break)? That would explain why Far-Away Mario (FAM) can run under what we see as a 1-block height whereas Close-Up Mario (CUM) can't fit without ducking.

This holds water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

When Mario kicks a shell at a brick, where is the shell.

Large shells belong to Large koopas which march in the center of all Koopa formations. Small koopas form the outskirts of any march. But Simce the camera is pointed at the outer edge of the row of koopas the small shells appear to be the same size as the large ones. Really there are many shells but they’ve all scattered by the time Mario kicks the one shell out of the formation.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

When Mario kicks a shell at a brick, where is the shell.

koopas actually look like this from the front

e: to clarify, this is just the original pixelated koopa, see below for explanation of the "new" koopa.

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 26, 2020

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah! posted:

they turn and face the camera in new mario

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

by the time of new mario koopas have evolved to be massive on all sides instead of just one. luckily mario et al. have been improving their leg muscles to the point that they can kick these new hypermassive shells or else they would never be able to foil bowser

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've got a headache.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Me trying to follow all these egghead diagrams

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Martman posted:

Ok so the farther away side of the bricks is actually smaller (and maybe denser, hence it being harder to break)? That would explain why Far-Away Mario (FAM) can run under what we see as a 1-block height whereas Close-Up Mario (CUM) can't fit without ducking.
also little known fact, these two perspectives of mario are why the NES was originally called the Famicum in Japan

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Me trying to follow all these egghead diagrams

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
little mario. you need to find the mushroom to get bigger

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

e: to clarify, this is just the original pixelated koopa, see below for explanation of the "new" koopa.

bobplayingcastlevania.png

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lmfao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

by the time of new mario koopas have evolved to be massive on all sides instead of just one. luckily mario et al. have been improving their leg muscles to the point that they can kick these new hypermassive shells or else they would never be able to foil bowser

This is why he can jump so high, and far, from a crouch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

what the gently caress is this? world 6 is the snow world.

It was a really bad translation error

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

It was a really bad translation error

Vegeta: 八千以上だ!(It's over 8000!)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Martman posted:

This theory is thrown in the trash by the fact that the brick shakes the instant Mario hits it. If it was wobbling due to its length it would take a moment for the force to reach the supposed "closer end" of the bricks.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Large shells belong to Large koopas which march in the center of all Koopa formations. Small koopas form the outskirts of any march. But Simce the camera is pointed at the outer edge of the row of koopas the small shells appear to be the same size as the large ones. Really there are many shells but they’ve all scattered by the time Mario kicks the one shell out of the formation.

Your saying Mario jumps on every single Koopa in the rank at the exact same time? You really are a braindead, toxic retard.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Martman posted:

also little known fact, these two perspectives of mario are why the NES was originally called the Famicum in Japan

Hey bitch. No one laughed at cum the first time because it wasn't funny, not because people didn't notice that you typed it in all caps. Eat a bag of dicks.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

In Training posted:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wormskull posted:

Hey bitch. No one laughed at cum the first time because it wasn't funny, not because people didn't notice that you typed it in all caps. Eat a bag of dicks.
Your cruel insults may appear to have shrunken me, but in fact I just walked away from you a little bit

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Your saying Mario jumps on every single Koopa in the rank at the exact same time? You really are a braindead, toxic retard.

You have a really narrow interpretation of the world. I'm not surprised that your feelings are hurt.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

This thread has been thoroughly laid to rest by logic and critical thinking. Mods?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1102683425775984643

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

He kind of dives toward the foreground head first.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Goku does this at the end of the tournament of power

and per se and
May 17, 2020

Swells Like Tween Sprite

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

been giving this some thought and net cafe scandal is definitely on the wrong track here. Miyamoto himself says the game is partially inspired by the classic Alice in Wonderland. while the precocious victorian child in that work consumes food which causes her to grow or shrink, she does not spend a lot of time assessing the structural weakness of columns or rows. Mario is literally growing and shrinking.

that being said, the growth or reduction may be a metaphor for confidence, retreating, or being in a better position to perform well at important tasks (like smashing bricks).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hjk posted:

Swells Like Tween Sprite

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

been giving this some thought and net cafe scandal is definitely on the wrong track here. Miyamoto himself says the game is partially inspired by the classic Alice in Wonderland. while the precocious victorian child in that work consumes food which causes her to grow or shrink, she does not spend a lot of time assessing the structural weakness of columns or rows. Mario is literally growing and shrinking.

that being said, the growth or reduction may be a metaphor for confidence, retreating, or being in a better position to perform well at important tasks (like smashing bricks).

In Alice in WOnderland Alice moves between the foreground and background at least as many times as she eats a shrinking/growing food if not far more. Your own logic has returned to hit you much like a Koopa shell that you yourself kicked.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

In Alice in WOnderland Alice moves between the foreground and background at least as many times as she eats a shrinking/growing food if not far more. Your own logic has returned to hit you much like a Koopa shell that you yourself kicked.

hm. Good point. while on the surface, alice is a whimsical tale filled with magic and nonsense, there are complicated maths and possibly engineering layered underneath for those who choose to look. perhaps Super Mario is the same, and whether Mario is shrinking in body or shrinking away from us depends on what the player chooses to take from the story.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
the game begins when you press start and mario is small when the game starts

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

the game begins when you press start and mario is small when the game starts

It’s not where a man starts that defines him, it’s where he ends up

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

apropos to nothing posted:

It’s not where a man starts that defines him, it’s where he ends up

Mario ends the game big, so he must originally be big? Are you mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The ultimate destruction of this theory lies in the fact that Bowser is the same size regardless of Mario’s size. Source: I’ve beaten the entire game as small Mario.