Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I still haven't seen that event a single time.

I think I saw it once in one of my first ten games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is THAT the one card I don't have seen let alone gilded???

I've got nearly 80 hours in this game and could not figure out what card I'd missed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I still haven't seen that event a single time.

I saw a streamer get it in about his second game and pass on the Bone Dog. Chat went loving insane. Well, insaner, this is Twitch chat we're talking about here.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Mod support was the one thing this game was missing to beat Slay the Spire for me, so I'm glad to see it's on the way. And soon, at that.

Also, yeah, never seen Bone Dog. I didn't even know it existed until I beat Covenant 25 recently and saw it in the credits.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Making a cheap holdover Inferno with an empty first floor :wink:

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Does anyone have advice for the expert challenge where your guys can’t heal and die permanently?

My idea was to try and kill everything with recurring burnout Flicker + spells (with hell horned as backup with hope of holdover inferno) but that fell short at Archus. Even three floors Flicker + two Endless die and spawn two Draff guys couldn’t do it, and that’s with six stacked stealth on the bottom floor. So I’m kind of stumped. Help?

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

Does anyone have advice for the expert challenge where your guys can’t heal and die permanently?

My idea was to try and kill everything with recurring burnout Flicker + spells (with hell horned as backup with hope of holdover inferno) but that fell short at Archus. Even three floors Flicker + two Endless die and spawn two Draff guys couldn’t do it, and that’s with six stacked stealth on the bottom floor. So I’m kind of stumped. Help?

Wrathful Prince, Quick/Strangle Windleton and Little Icarus Fade can literally solo the whole game. Tethys kinda can too but needs some good spells/incant units. I think I did that with him but it was before update and I don't really remember.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

Hellhorned/Stygian is what I used. Hellhorned gives armor, which functions regardless. Stygian gives a number of powerful options between sirens, sap totem, daze, spell damage, and more.

You don't need a whole lot of armor, but you do need to lean into a gimmick of some sort. Honestly, Hellhorned/Stygian is powerful here just because nothing really changes; you weren't healing anyone anyway, and every non-imp wasn't going to die in the first place.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Wrathful Hornless and melting reform cards on imps is easy mode for that.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Smiling Knight posted:

The big trick with that one is that perma doesn't effect endless units. Then the perma becomes nice as free purges.

I did it with stygian/remnant, getting tethys behind a beefy endless frost shark. Then you also get some combination of daze/stealth/sap to keep them Alice vs archon. I leaned hard into the discard cards too.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So the patch just dropped, time to hit every cavern event to maaaaaybe see the bone dog lol

Also, I'm very excited about mods. I've been writing up the basic ideas for an avatar themed one, but have absolutely no idea on how to get started on the actual coding. Anybody have advice?

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Arcadian clan mod is pretty cool. Mechanics are weird but interesting. Base champ seems kinda OP but I only played a couple of games and maybe just stumbled into crazy combos which happens often with OG clans too. Exiled champ looks cool but didn't have the time to really finish a run with him and without shift basics a lot of other cards in the clan are useless which is concerning.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like starting with even a single Void Binding card just breaks the game.

This sweepy boy could delete Seraph 30 times over before before taking a scratch. Granted, this isn't max covenant, but... I don't know, it seems like once this gets rolling it just doesn't stop.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like starting with even a single Void Binding card just breaks the game.

This sweepy boy could delete Seraph 30 times over before before taking a scratch. Granted, this isn't max covenant, but... I don't know, it seems like once this gets rolling it just doesn't stop.

Some of the cards like that are super super strong, but you have to build around them, because the emberdrain removes your ability to do anything else. The higher covenants basically make it more difficult to pull off by stuffing your deck full of more junk, making upgrades more expensive, and cutting down your hp, which reduces your margin for error.

That being said, I've definitely done similar, and the emberdrain card that gives energy makes a phenomenal pairing since you can not only stack up more rage, but you also get to ignore energy upgrades and can focus on card draw.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

The restart battle button mod has been extremely nice to have while I grind out cov 25 wins on the new champions, play dailies, and grind challenges. It's also so nice mods are separated into those that, like this one, are ok all the time and those that disable cheevos, dailies counting, etc.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Plink (the basic spell that deals 1 damage twice) seems unusable

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Jay Rust posted:

Plink (the basic spell that deals 1 damage twice) seems unusable

It's not unusable but it does badly need to be upgraded (either through artifacts or direct shop upgrades) quickly. One thing I dislike about the alternate factions is the comparative quality of the alternate starting cards is all over the place. Like, Melting Remnant's is just a strictly worse version of a card that's already in their pool and also doesn't really help very much in the beginning, while the alternate Awoken card is really, really good and arguably better than the primary.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I like the Alt-remnant common. It usually works really well with little fade too.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Andrast posted:

I like the Alt-remnant common. It usually works really well with little fade too.

I kinda like it too, at least that it exists. It’s a dead draw turn one, which is a huge negative, but if you engineer your deck/layout so only one key unit is dying a turn (e.g., the extinguish apply two stealth guy) they become quite strong. So much bigger upside and downside than dregs, which are almost always mediocre but you can clear from your deck really easily,

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I haven’t touched the alt-stuff at all before this week so this has probably already been discussed, but...

How would one make the imp-tossing Queen work?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Zurai posted:

the alternate Awoken card is really, really good and arguably better than the primary.

It does remove the synergy with their two tanky spiky units that get stronger on heal, and it removes the ability to easily keep up regen stacks, which are strong enough to win you the game on their own if you get them high enough. I really like the way the awoken starter cards are designed because they're both really good in their own way.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Does anybody ever multi-class their champion? It seems strictly worse in every case than upgrading the same path each time.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Does anybody ever multi-class their champion? It seems strictly worse in every case than upgrading the same path each time.

Tethys frostbite + 1 level of sweep is really good

But otherwise yeah you usually want the scaling

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I haven’t touched the alt-stuff at all before this week so this has probably already been discussed, but...

Endless on an armor imp or especially a Transcendimp usually works great. I'll usually multi-class one level of imp tossing with the +attack on summon tree and look for that combo. Remember to put the imp behind her so she has the armor after it gets blown up.

The other multiclasses I'll do a lot beside Tethys mentioned above and the queen are quick enchant plus invocation on the Awoken alt champ and status transfer plus extra consumes on the Umbra alt champ.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hornbreaker is really good multiclassed.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Plink is absolutely terrible and I'd rather remove it than upgrade every time. Maybe I'd put consume on it if it made it cost 0 instead of +20.

Jay Rust posted:

She kicks imps into overdrive as if they weren't OP before. Get one give him +25 and Endless so he chumps for her and blows up for a quite bit of damage. The best is the one that returns consumed cards imo. Getting back high value consume cards every turn is incredibly good. But Rage and Energy ones are alright too. Armor imps just win the run if you get one dupe at every opportunity and tunnel Steel shops for Endless. It is fun playing a couple of them every turn while completely wiping the floor. Need some rare cards to scale over Seraph but a lot of them have good synergy so you can have your pick. Embrace the MEEP basically.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Alt-Candle spell card is great, control your deaths to stack the odds of what it gives you. Plink is OK on early levels and with magic support for +damage or consume/+damage. Rage waves, 1/1 archers and healers. Falls off fast, prime candidate for burning out of decks.

Basics of Imp Queen are to take one level of imp toss or use non-armor imps to body block up front so your lane doesn't get clogged. Two levels of "Puts X Imp in hand" is fun for stuff like a Rage Imp every turn that dies so you can repeat it, stacking +3/-1 Decay per turn to maintain the stacks. All three builds can work and imps are great, just don't accidentally clog your own lane with 1/1s. Since Alt-Red can support Imp synergy entirely by itself you can partner it with decks like Purple and get an easy base 180 Implosion, magic shop it with hold-over and weave in spell weaknesses for bosses, fun stuff like that. Imp producing relics and consumables only help. Agree on needing some good big boy rares otherwise unless you get a recursive Transcendimp going and then the Queen can do it. Otherwise she is a backline champ.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Don't multiclass imp tossing Queen imo. Her damage is massive with the right deck and is very very nice in setup phase. Scale her with good imps or put some other scaling strategy up top while she buys time. 3 imps at level 3 almost clear double heavy waves by themselves endgame. I can see getting Rally levels at least if general wave clearing isn't a problem but scaling is slow. Imp generating Queen was bad every time I tried her. I really want to like her but she is so lackluster. She needs to give Rage Imp on lvl 1. 2 levels are not worth the opportunity cost I'd rather do more AOE damage/scale faster while putting 3 Endless Imps in my deck. And without imp toss she is straight up unplayable which is a shame.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Awoken champion can work well with multiclassing - one level of the revenge draw is all you really need.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

first 25 win :unsmith:

Alternate green champion guy seems like a real winner

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Got my first cov25 with alt umbra champ with maxed out +attack and an apply endless spell on him, tucked in behind a multistrike crucible collector that ended up dealing all of seraphs hp in a single turn while having 30+ damage shield stacked

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Just announced paid DLC with a sixth clan. No much more info except it will be a few months until it comes out.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Any tips on what to run for the "kill <boss> before combat phase" achievements?

I'm not a StS veteran and am currently struggling at Covenant 4 so I'm not particularly good at this, just hoping to get those cheevos

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Daily Challenges count, I got three of them in the same day it was purple clan and enemy gains a lot of spell weakness. Big nukes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

I'm not a StS veteran and am currently struggling at Covenant 4 so I'm not particularly good at this, just hoping to get those cheevos

Big thing is to get your broken scaling online as fast as possible. As Doomykins mentioned, spells can be powerful for this, especially if you can stack spell weakness and then hit them with a giant burst. Creatures are harder to do this with, since they can only attack 1/3 of the time, usually have to kill enemies to hit the boss, and are designed to take multiple rounds to kill a boss. That being said, if you have some absurd stacking shenanigans going on (sirens + alternate awoken + multistrike, for instance), they can kill bosses early.

If you're at Covenant 4 though, just play through the game naturally. You'll slowly learn how to build for something that scales super hard, and how to keep your options open while doing so. There are a lot of ways to win the game, and the game is mostly about getting one of the very many strong scaling combinations, and enough power to survive until the scaling kicks in and wins the fight for you. Even that's not the only way to win, but it's straightforward and easy to understand.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Syrinxx posted:

For Daedalus/Talos, applying spell weakness and than whacking them with a big spell can do it pretty reliably. You’re going to probably want either spell weakness Tethys or the sweep/spell weakness siren.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Last night I got really close to the 50,000 point daily achievement :( once I get that, I'll have completed everything but the secret achievement!

I'm assuming the secret achievement has something to do with gilding all cards, I still have a couple of event cards to gild smh

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

IAmThatIs posted:

Last night I got really close to the 50,000 point daily achievement :( once I get that, I'll have completed everything but the secret achievement!

I'm assuming the secret achievement has something to do with gilding all cards, I still have a couple of event cards to gild smh

No, mastering cards isn't related to an achievement so it's got to be something else.

Here's a first look at the DLC stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5smYCtcZJk

New clan is wormkin. The four mechanics that showed up were a per room resource called infusion that does various things, a countdown mechanic involving that, a pseudo-frostbite called reap and cards that play around with the consume.

There is also a new location called the dark temple that "let's you spend shards to upgrade or merge spells" and an event showed up that let's you build a card applying various mechanics to it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IAmThatIs posted:

I think the only secrets achievements are:

Dante's Inferno for the dante cavern event

It's a secret... for the flower cavern event

and Thief! Stop! for the Petty Thief cavern event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Is clicking the shopkeeper cat repeatedly a secret achievement? I can't remember if it was.