Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

GodFish posted:

Do we know when the new dlc comes out?

We do not. It seemed very complete and well-received though, so I would be surprised if it's later than February 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Whoops.

EDIT:

My first run went well.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 21, 2021

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
DLC releases March 25th for $11.99

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Frostbite at the buzzer.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
Since I saw the DLC was coming out soon I gave this game another spin and just got my first Covenant 25 win. I was actually at 23 and then picked up the last few wins pretty easily after being away from this game for months.

I am looking forward to the DLC, I still feel like this game is so underrated. Way more fun than Slay the Spire.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
2 hours until DLC release!!

Monster Train - 'Choo'se to give money

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

First run post update was alright I guess.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I skipped the free dlc weekend or whatever, so this is my first taste of the Wurmkin, and it took two fights of “uhhh I don’t get this mechanic” to finally arrive at “this loving rules”

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
This update rules.
I love the balancing act of the new currency allowing for powerful combinations, and then staring down the barrel of superpowered enemies. 20/290 enemies do not gently caress around huh

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hmm don’t gobble up all of the pact shards just because you can

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
New dlc is out and it owns

I love this game. More than slay the spire. There I said it

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 26, 2021

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I beat the new boss, (on covenant 1 ):toot:

Really good dlc, Wurmkin might be my fave main faction now?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Jay Rust posted:

I beat the new boss, (on covenant 1 ):toot:

Really good dlc, Wurmkin might be my fave main faction now?

I like the mechanic and I love seeing big stacks of reap, but I suck hot poo poo with the little dude riding the hoverbike or whatever it is. Anyone have any pointers for him?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I managed an easy win by going hard on essence-infused eggs plus the eggy version of Hovercar Bug, making an eggy super floor

The other versions of Bug seem pretty lacklustre in comparison

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 27, 2021

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is Emberdrain instead of Daze on the top floor new to the expansion from the 3 day free weekend?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Acerbatus posted:

Is Emberdrain instead of Daze on the top floor new to the expansion from the 3 day free weekend?

Dear god

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still have no idea how to play Wurmkin at covenant 25 but going lower feels like coward talk.

e: huh you can now apply cost reduction emberstones to X cost cards, neat

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 29, 2021

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Acerbatus posted:

I still have no idea how to play Wurmkin at covenant 25 but going lower feels like coward talk.

e: huh you can now apply cost reduction emberstones to X cost cards, neat

My only Covenant 25 + Divinity win so far was Exiled Wurmkin/Awoken with, among other things, two copies of the Awoken Rail Spike with a full 3 Cost-1 enhancements each. It's so good.

Anyway, my experience so far is that it is a lot more consistent to put together a deck that will roll through the game and take down the Seraph no problem, but tackling the final boss after that feels like another step up entirely. You really have to be able to ramp up huge damage to deal with actual bosses showing up in a non-Relentless phase situation. It feels achievable, though.

Edit: Here's the last turn of my successful run, I had actually forgotten that I managed to win before its relentless phase:

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 29, 2021

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I struggle to come up with a reliable Wurmkin deck against the final boss that doesn't include one of those eggs that hatches into two flies along with the champion that gives everything +20 attack per shard thingy. On the other hand, that build is really, really consistent, even more so if you can get quick + multiattack on the egg.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hi, I finally bought this game cause it was on sale.

I got this card that deals 1 damage to a random enemy 5 times. And I was like "oh ho ho ho ho ho! One of my dudes increases the damage of spells on that floor by 10! So I will not do 1 damage 5 times! I will do eleven damage 5 times! How intelligent! I am combining the power of my unit and the power of my spell! What fun! I am a sneaky, clever boy!"

Anyway then like in that same circle, I don't remember exactly how I did this, but I made it deal 41 damage 5 times instead.

And then I duplicated it 5 times.

And then I think I took like no more pyre damage the entire run.

But there was a boss that's like "hey fucker I'll banish the first spell you play every turn! Take that, you fucker!" that actually still made things pretty tense.

Good game, tbh!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Working my way up the cr ladder with wurmkin to get the feel for this game back and doing a bit of testing. It looks like you can't boost the number of echos past 10 for a round, and for boss rounds it builds up continuously (to 10?) until everyone on the floor is dead. Similarly, it doesn't seem to apply reap until the end of a fight, not like frostbite that hits after each back and forth round. Does this match what other people are seeing?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah it’s hard for me not to think that Reap is just a worse Frostbite

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Reap multiplies with whatever that new resource is though, so it has potential to do some high damage.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i like the wormy boys

id also not unlocked the wax guys before and i like them a lot too. it feels oddly relaxing to just be able to cycle your guys through and not care if they die

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
I think it's fascinating how differently the 30 permutations can play. An umbra/waxer run will be fundamentally different from a wyrmkin/stygian run.

Also, I've yet to beat the last divinity because I can't make it to it. Whenever I get greedy with shards I just die

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

IAmThatIs posted:

I think it's fascinating how differently the 30 permutations can play. An umbra/waxer run will be fundamentally different from a wyrmkin/stygian run.

Also, I've yet to beat the last divinity because I can't make it to it. Whenever I get greedy with shards I just die

Yeah, the one time I beat the Divinity I had scaled back on my shards from ultimate greed 200+ to exactly 100/100 on Covenant 25. The final fight wasn't red iirc, so that definitely helped. Was a regen/spike wurmkin/awoken run that I had a huge amount of trouble fighting Seraph with (got me down to 25 hp from full), but I killed the Divinity on the bottom floor of relentless with no damage taken. That was really surprising.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Definitely don't go mega-greed on the shards. Aim for 100, maybe 120 at the most. Personally, I take every gold pile and artifact I see, ignore 80% of the spell enchants (most of them aren't worth the cost IMO, at least in a deck that doesn't focus on spells), and only fuse one or two creatures per run.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I wouldn't go over 125 unless you can make something game changingly powerful.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
After repeteadly failing on Talos and Daedalus, I finally got a wurmkin run at 25 that went straight to TLD and won. :toot:

monstertrain://runresult/6630f609-04dc-4635-a805-f223a1a861b3

No steam achievement even, though...

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I haven't gone over 140 shards yet but so far the last divinity has been much easier than the seraph has been. Found out today that there isn't an achievement for beating it before it goes relentless.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

For some reason this game has been causing my respectably specced laptop to overheat and shutdown. Sheer volume of particle effects I guess. I've turned down the graphics and now the fan barely comes on.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'm only running the new content on covenant 21/22 because it has been awhile since I've played the base game and I've not gotten past 23 previously.

I've had really convincing wins with the Marshlord and Repeater but don't understand how I'm supposed to run the Shellsmith. Has anyone had any luck with them?

I've been keeping under 100 divinity, should I be trying to hit 100 instead?

edit:

My run with Repeater was amazing. Was able to get a unique spell that combined two spells of my choice as a two cost consumable. I put in two copies of Perils of Production, gave it -2 cost and spellchain so I could double cast it every turn going from 0 to 11 energy while giving 12 rage. I combined it with Prismal Dust and an Etch scaling monster for my win condition.

edit 2:

Combining Sweep and Trample is the best. I had a run where a size 5 Shattered Shell with quick, trample, and sweep took on nearly everything that entered the train's bottommost row.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 31, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
ok fellas so what's your favorite stomp-rear end builds

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Eason the Fifth posted:

When the starting cards give you 2x hidden passage.

Last such run I had maxed egg echowright and an endless transcendimp, so I could keep passing bogwurm eggs onto one floor. Echowright etch to hatch them, and their own etch powering them up.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Eason the Fifth posted:

The glory of Apex Imp
I wish I could swap it in for my champ lol

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

IAmThatIs posted:

The glory of Apex Imp
I wish I could swap it in for my champ lol

What's the build for Apex Imp?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

A simple tiring climb with emberstone and hold over. Seraph the caste didn't get to take a single action.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

GodFish posted:

What's the build for Apex Imp?

Anything that synergizes with adding armor or augmentating rage. Base case every point of armor is two points of damage, but you can really run wild with it if you lean in with deranged brute, resonant shard, and rail spike.

E:
Here's a Voyix run where he does 2k+ damage turn 2 vs seraph, with a bad draw. A good draw would have instagibbed seraph
https://youtu.be/nLuN25k6iMM

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 1, 2021

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

IAmThatIs posted:

Anything that synergizes with adding armor or augmentating rage. Base case every point of armor is two points of damage, but you can really run wild with it if you lean in with deranged brute, resonant shard, and rail spike.

E:
Here's a Voyix run where he does 2k+ damage turn 2 vs seraph, with a bad draw. A good draw would have instagibbed seraph
https://youtu.be/nLuN25k6iMM

oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
yeah so i learned i dont know poo poo about this game