Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm pretty bored of this game after 20 hours and a bunch of wins. Umbra and hellhorned are the only factions that I personally don't find a snoozefest to play and I burned out pretty quick on Umbra/Hellhorned and Hellhorned/Umbra runs - it's virtually impossible to lose but every run plays out the same way :shrug: You can pick pretty much any unit in the game and just drop morsels and morselmakers and morselmasters behind it all day and it will kill everything

I was going to say I'm looking forward to checking it out after a year of EA but I just realized it's not an EA game :kiddo: hopefully they add some more content and work on balance anyway because the basic concept is pretty great

The only way I could see the game not being super easy forever is if they get rid of Holdover and the spell upgrade that removes Consume. Being able to consistently pick a card or two every run and play them every single turn for 0 or 1 mana is kinda game breaking.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be honest the weird thing I think is that things like Holdover don't have any drawbacks. It feels like there are three kinds of upgrades: Small upgrades with no drawbacks, big upgrades with drawbacks (huge power boost + consume or numbers boost but takes up an extra slot) and then upgrades which are just plain strong without any drawbacks.

I think it mostly just needs a balance tuneup more than anything. Right now the priorities for certain things are way off.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I hate the boss that eats your spells, ey.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm pretty bored of this game after 20 hours and a bunch of wins. Umbra and hellhorned are the only factions that I personally don't find a snoozefest to play and I burned out pretty quick on Umbra/Hellhorned and Hellhorned/Umbra runs - it's virtually impossible to lose but every run plays out the same way :shrug: You can pick pretty much any unit in the game and just drop morsels and morselmakers and morselmasters behind it all day and it will kill everything

I was going to say I'm looking forward to checking it out after a year of EA but I just realized it's not an EA game :kiddo: hopefully they add some more content and work on balance anyway because the basic concept is pretty great

The only way I could see the game not being super easy forever is if they get rid of Holdover and the spell upgrade that removes Consume. Being able to consistently pick a card or two every run and play them every single turn for 0 or 1 mana is kinda game breaking.

On what difficulty level are you playing?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I unlocked the "eat morsels" guys yesterday and it went fine until the last boss, when I Circumstances suddenly pushed a loving train warden down onto the same floor as my huge meatshield guy and my pimped as hell champion, pushing me over the unit limit and stopping me from dropping morsels on the two of them.

The boss managed to destroy my core with 7 or 8 HP remaining.

I'm really liking how wildly different the factions feel to play.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chairchucker posted:

I hate the boss that eats your spells, ey.

Douchenozzle Seraph the Chaste? I just fought him. My second ever Seraph fight and I utterly chumped him with Leafy Girls/Horny Boys. And that was with missreading his abilities and thinking he had spellshield so I actively ignored/cut out a bunch of offensive spells leaving me with mainly good poo poo I didn't want to be consumed. Thankfully I also had a bunch of one-shot Consume spells and I ended up being all "oh noes, you're going to consume the card that already has consume on it!" for several turns.

Awoken Champion was a nice tank with a fat chunk of spikes on her and dealing 30 damage every time she healed so I loaded my deck with healing/regen cards. Floor one always was a beefy Hellhorned dude that gave the entire floor +Rage on Slay, the Awoken champion and a sacrificial Fledgling Imp with Endless providing more Rage. Hellhorned dude ended up swole as gently caress, especially once he had Multistrike because my first artifact was the one that gave monsters a third upgrade slot too. Floors 2 and 3 would either have the Thorned Husk or the beefy +1/+1 Husk. Spreading Spores also made a mockery of Chaste's spell eating, and the +1 thorns artifact didn't hurt that card either.

In the end the "Deal 100 damage on using up a malus card" artifact honestly is what carried me. That thing is a boss wrecker. "Oh no, you keep inserting this 1 energy card into my hand that will do 1 damage to me OR 100 damage to the frontliner, who is often the big boss himself? Whatever shall I do?"

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

At the moment I keep screwing myself in part with my insistence on picking cards I haven't yet won with.

There's probably a good reason I haven't won with some of them.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chairchucker posted:

At the moment I keep screwing myself in part with my insistence on picking cards I haven't yet won with.

There's probably a good reason I haven't won with some of them.

Eh all cards are good in the right deck. Especially in this game where you can buff your units and spells. You just have to figure out how they work together.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just had my very first go as Awoken and basically walked from the first stop to my first Monster Train victory. Thornfruit + Channelheart + :unsmigghh:

Slay the Spire never really grabbed me very hard except in very short bursts; this I can see myself playing quite a lot! I enjoy the card upgrade mechanic and how you can optimize your rewards at a stop- like taking a Restoration Detonation, giving it Permafrost and some power, then duping it :kheldragar:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 29, 2020

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Holdover Doublestack Void Bindings are fantastic. I ended up with 3 of them.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

AegisP posted:

Holdover Doublestack Void Bindings are fantastic. I ended up with 3 of them.

Yes, I do owe 80 energy a turn, but I'd like to see you collect I'm behind 37 damage shields

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Hellhorned.jpg

I got 5 copy event with melting and tried to stack drafts behind an old lady, but was too squishy for the boss

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Game is fun. I was stuck on Covenant 8 for awhile but I just broke through on a fun Remnant/Umbra run which involved a lot of capacity upgrading, the Rector doing his random reform thing twice a turn, 4 Molded in my deck to bring the Rector back after his Burnout, and lots of morsel feeding to the slug jailor thing and the burnout increasing maid.

Also, I echo the sentiment that Holdover and (to a much lesser extent) Permafrost can really just win runs. I had Permafrost Furnace Tap and 2x Immortal Trade this last run for that much needed boost against the bosses, and I had the Remnant AoE spell that gets stronger the more of your dudes have died at -1 cost and Holdover. Very fun deck.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I've only played a few rounds and I can absolutely tell you Permafrost can be a straight up carry. I hosed up the fight against the unit strength draining Seraph I deserved to lose but having the Permafrost never expires artifact mixed with the card that hoovers up all Permafrost on a floor onto one guy and doubles it (i.e. onto the boss) were such a strong combo I simply could not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory no matter how hard I had screwed up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

I've only played a few rounds and I can absolutely tell you Permafrost can be a straight up carry. I hosed up the fight against the unit strength draining Seraph I deserved to lose but having the Permafrost never expires artifact mixed with the card that hoovers up all Permafrost on a floor onto one guy and doubles it (i.e. onto the boss) were such a strong combo I simply could not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory no matter how hard I had screwed up.

I think you're confusing Frostbite and Permafrost there. Permafrost is "card remains in your hand."

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Think you mixed up the keywords here. Frostbite is the damage over time effect. Permafrost means that a card that isn't played stays in your hand. *edit late to the point*

I once beat the seraph that halves buff/debuff stacks by having the double frostbite card on holdover. He would half his frostbite stack, I would double it. Thing is, I had a second copy of that card (without holdover sadly).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The relic that applies 2 permafrost is hella broken, especially with the one that makes permafrost ... Permanent.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Just got this game and got a win on my second try! Tbf I got lucky with a broken combination

First time with Awoken and basically a few of these guys (doubled summon bonus meaning max HP was about 160):

Plus 6 of these spells:

Made for an easy run.

Oh noooo I have unlocked "not ascensions"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I think you're confusing Frostbite and Permafrost there. Permafrost is "card remains in your hand."

Ah, you're right. Derp.

Frostpite OP. Permafrost...convenient for when you really want to save a spell for the perfect time.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I didn't get very far in StS but for some reason this game hooked me hard. I think Melting Remnant is my favorite clan, their playstyle just clicked for me (not that I've played much with the other clans as primary)

I'm up to Cov 22 now with Melting/Umbra. Might be time to switch the subclan though, I originally went with this combo for the Morsels + Harvest combo but I'm finding it too slow to get going now. And Burnout doesn't have much synergy with Umbra stuff. Morsels with the Reform hero is pretty funny though, they've gone up to 50+ attack just from being Reformed over and over.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just started playing a few days ago. Unlocked all the factions, won my first Ascension Covenant 1 game.

I don’t think I’m ever going back to Slay the Spire after this. I can’t. This game has ruined me.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Should I just be playing on the highest covenant I have unlocked or grind out on lower difficulties to some point?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Play whatever covenant you find fun. When I eventually finish covenant 25 stuff I'll probably play on a lower one so my starting deck isn't flooded with quite so many garbage clan cards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fried Watermelon posted:

Should I just be playing on the highest covenant I have unlocked or grind out on lower difficulties to some point?

Whichever you prefer. Some of the unlockable artifacts or cards are pretty significant game changers but it isn't like you can't win with 'starting decks.'

I'd recommend keeping going up until you stop having fun/get frustrated and then take a break at a lower level.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I got 400x4 damage on my hellhorn champ using volatile gauge and eternal onehorn's tome. That was a hell of a fun synergy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Molded/Bounty Stalker is the best build I've stumbled on so far. The Champion carries your early game, and once the Stalkers come online everything else is trivial.

FYI: Harvest procs off Morsels. Stick a Wickless Tycoon or two in a room then just dump Morsels down their gullet and watch as the money rolls in.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Skippy McPants posted:

FYI: Harvest procs off Morsels. Stick a Wickless Tycoon or two in a room then just dump Morsels down their gullet and watch as the money rolls in.

Random gave me Wax/Umbra. Trip report: Harvest: +20 Max HP combined with morsels is very, very good. I had a relic that gave 5 gold every time something died, too.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is...is it time to PRAISE SNECKO

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Artelier posted:

Is...is it time to PRAISE SNECKO

It's overall less good than Snecko I think because there are proportionally more 0/1 cost cards in this game compared to 2+ cards.

Still an insanely strong relic though

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

First Covenant 25 win :toot: Stuck with Melting/Umbra for the finish, relearning other clans will have to come later

The game actually looked a bit rough at the start, but then I hit into the "duplicate card 5 times" event with a Largestone'd Draff in deck, and suddenly it wasn't a rough game anymore. :v: (Well, until the game decided to stick five Draffs on the bottom of the deck at the final boss, but the deck pulled through in the end)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My Snecko run was easily the favourite out of my 3/5 wins so far! It was a four unit deck that was all about INFINITE ARMOUR

I had 3 Branding Rites (5 damage pierce, + 24 armour), 2 Reinforce (double armour), notSnecko (Volatile Gauge) to randomize costs and draw 3 more. I also had Split Anvil: after playing a spell, any spells lower in cost than it will be reduced to 0.

Park minion, do 2 to 3 Branding Rights into Reinforces. Repeat. Spells cost a lot? No problem.

Oh hey there's a Copy Deeplink option so here: monstertrain://runresult/f9c5fab2-fcd7-4b0a-8bae-0921b44a5560

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Split Anvil is such a disgustingly good relic.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kyrosiris posted:

Split Anvil is such a disgustingly good relic.

It and a bunch of other things seem so powerful that I wonder what the game's gonna look like after the next patch :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Balance is one thing... My wishlist for this game would be some more champions for each faction, more boss variety, and more of that sweet music.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Still only around cov 6 but Umbra is the hardest main for me to get going, it feels like any other main is an easy win but with them I stall out when the harvest and sweep mobs start rolling in.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
Had a Stygian/Hellhorned incant buffing run with railhammer/collection of tails/founding seal/split anvil/volatile gauge. Ended the last fight with thousands of armor.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

This game is amazing but I hope they work on champion balance. It feels bad to get Stygian main because Tethys sucks early on, and later dies to anything with sweep.

I could deal with playing with a bad champion as the cost for access to good cards, but with the secondary clan system that's not even really a thing

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

secret volcano lair posted:

This game is amazing but I hope they work on champion balance. It feels bad to get Stygian main because Tethys sucks early on, and later dies to anything with sweep.

I could deal with playing with a bad champion as the cost for access to good cards, but with the secondary clan system that's not even really a thing

tethys is (probably) a guaranteed sweeper to start, making him stupid powerful. his low hp is the only weakness he has, unlike the hellhorned champ, who has no hp and also doesn't do any damage until he's killed like five enemies

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

tethys is (probably) a guaranteed sweeper to start, making him stupid powerful. his low hp is the only weakness he has, unlike the hellhorned champ, who has no hp and also doesn't do any damage until he's killed like five enemies

Sweeping a bunch of little guys who are going to do chip damage to your pyre is nice, but if your run dies early it's probably because you can't kill a boss. You need some semi-tanky units fast and sometimes it's hard to find one. It makes a big difference if your champion can take a hit

I agree hellhorn guy is slightly worse fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackhammer
Jul 10, 2008
Tethys is a top tier starter hero and boss killer next to the awakened tree guy. He's so small that you can even tank with two train conductors and his skills are insanely powerful in spell decks