Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

On Covenant 12, I finally got my first win with Hellhorned as the main faction:

Getting two 25/75 Titan Sentries early, then getting the event to make a unit 1 capacity and applying it to one of the Sentries, then duplicating that unit twice more was huge. The other huge play was getting Holdover on a 0 cost Drain, since this protected me from the aforementioned Emberdrain Sweep Jerk Birds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I have yet to get a Stygian win :negative:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah they took the longest for me too.

I finally got some by using some of the beefier Hellhorned monsters to block early then transitioning hard to that Shark guy who gives Frostbite as retaliation. Frostbite absolutely wrecks bosses.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Ciaphas posted:

Stack spell weakness and one shot the bosses with any huge damage spell.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
the boss that always fucks me is the sweeping lifesteal guy because he can just mow through a floor without taking damage; the stealth guy at least can only murder one person at a time and can be hit by spells and spike damage and poo poo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Yeah, duplicating Dante is, uh... pretty good. (I gave him a Strengthstone and a Largestone before duplicating him twice, because :kheldragar:)

Edit: 7 turn boss rush. :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Stack spell weakness and one shot the bosses with any huge damage spell.

I'll try again tomorrow. Tonight I got Umbra unlocked and got a win on my very first run with Hellhorned as allies. Ended up being based around a Demon Fiend and architect Penumbra, making GBS threads out Morsels (of course), and a duplicated Endless/Holdover... Fledgling Imp :v:

As it turns out, when you have the "summon effects happen twice" and "-2 to unit summon costs" artifacts, those imps're effectively a totally free stacking +12 atk to the whole floor. put em at the front, you get them right back, repeat, oh and by the way there's probably 3 or 4 Morsels getting that too so uh :kheldragar:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah, duplicating Dante is, uh... pretty good. (I gave him a Strengthstone and a Largestone before duplicating him twice, because :kheldragar:)

Edit: 7 turn boss rush. :getin:

Just got this now! Dante with 8 multi attacks, and a lucky channelsong drew my multistrike plant lady. Razorsharp Edge (+8 attack, -2 health) is so much better than I thought.

EDIT: It's really amazing how good all 3 Waxed champions are, and how trash all 3 Hellborne champions are... Dante was setting my guy up with +60/80 max hp everytime, not including my endless burnout 1 bombs.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 1, 2020

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Stygian is easy. Get the 3 cost card with offering that does like 5 dmg to everyone and 10 frostbyte.

Put some gems into it and start duplicating it.

With teethy mode on spells being less expensive and the right artifacts you can kill the final boss with a 650 dmg frostbyte proc just like me.

monstertrain://runresult/9aabe2f8-cb56-4473-9301-9a42eb682b7e

Buller fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 1, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I also like the 5x damage spell, make it beefy through upgrades and watch it do like 200+ per hit.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yeah icicles or whatever (1dmg 5x) is the sleeper winner of Stygian. You don’t need any combos, just slap in +10dmg upgrades and it turns into a ridiculous utility damage spell.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

TastyLemonDrops posted:

EDIT: It's really amazing how good all 3 Waxed champions are, and how trash all 3 Hellborne champions are... Dante was setting my guy up with +60/80 max hp everytime, not including my endless burnout 1 bombs.

If you want trash, take long hard look at the umbra champion. He is substantially worse than most of the other umbra fatties. Even with morsels his is SO SLOW.

And my vote to worst enemy is the birds that give emberdrain on attack. They have a chunk of HP and emberdrain really hurts when you get 2 per floor right from the start. By far the worst feeling part of the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jinx posted:

If you want trash, take long hard look at the umbra champion. He is substantially worse than most of the other umbra fatties. Even with morsels his is SO SLOW.

And my vote to worst enemy is the birds that give emberdrain on attack. They have a chunk of HP and emberdrain really hurts when you get 2 per floor right from the start. By far the worst feeling part of the game.

The Umbra Champ has his Monstrous upgrade path which gives you a beefy trample monster to put on the bottom floor while you buff up a Gorger for the boss. Also the summoner variant becomes completely free in terms of capacity and lets you throw down a stupid number of morsels per turn.

Umbra Champ is probably the second best Champ in the game after the Melting Champ who's on another level. Then you have the Awoken, then Stygian then Hellhorned.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I've been playing a couple of Umbra runs, and I also think the Glutton variant sucks poo poo. Way too slow to get going and doesn't even get any stat upgrades for leveling up - you're stuck with a 15/15 you have to stick in front to Gorge that only adds a small tick of health per feeding, and worse still, he takes three spaces which means less space for the morsels.

The Architect variant, though, I think is really really amazing. The last upgrade gives you an effective +1 space just for deploying him - he's a turn 1 Space Prism that comes with a 80/25, and that's nuts.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
:psyduck:

You can use Razorsharp Edge (+8 attack, -2 hp) to kill low health enemies.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Lmao that's thinking outside the box

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

TastyLemonDrops posted:

lol I bet that effectively pierces armor, too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

TastyLemonDrops posted:

:stare: And I thought I was being a 300 IQ galaxybrain when I Torched my own welder imp to get one more Morsel out and armor up on my champion yesterday

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Holy gently caress I would have never thought to try that. That rules and owns.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Yeah, pretty much every buff can be cast on enemies and this does not trigger spell block or damage shield. Razorsharp edge is a good example of this (it's very good against Daedalus bombs with damage shield), march forward (+10 armor, move to front) is another example of a buff that can also be useful when cast on an enemy.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Also the hellhorned +armor and take 5 damage card. The damage applies before the armor, making it an easy snipe for annoying low hp units in the back.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also the hellhorned +armor and take 5 damage card. The damage applies before the armor, making it an easy snipe for annoying low hp units in the back.

Yeah, I've used that one offensively before but I dunno how I didn't look at a card with /-2 on it and think "holy gently caress I can snipe x/1s with this".

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
also, this is probably old hat in here by now but i've seen multiple streamers not realize this, you can play ascend/descend on enemies too. you can do that to single out lone weak enemies or split off a 0-attack tank into his own useless group while the people he was tanking for get eaten.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

This has got to be one of my weirdest wins :lol:

Multistriking Morselmasters was my best chance at dealing with the early game hump so I took it. When the dupe event came up I thought "well this run seems doomed anyway let's meme it", little did I know

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Pity there's a 7 units cap in each floor =V

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

President Ark posted:

also, this is probably old hat in here by now but i've seen multiple streamers not realize this, you can play ascend/descend on enemies too. you can do that to single out lone weak enemies or split off a 0-attack tank into his own useless group while the people he was tanking for get eaten.

Also when you ascend/descend enemies they go to the back, which is a good place for an enemy tank.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
I just had a game with the artifact that makes extinguish trigger twice. It split a Legion of Wax into 4 Twins and a Twin into 4 motes. 21 units in one card. I dropped that thing on the bottom floor and the fight was more or less over. Some of the artifacts are insanely strong.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

lagidnam posted:

I just had a game with the artifact that makes extinguish trigger twice. It split a Legion of Wax into 4 Twins and a Twin into 4 motes. 21 units in one card. I dropped that thing on the bottom floor and the fight was more or less over. Some of the artifacts are insanely strong.

I had the same thing recently on covenant 21. I thought the run was a sure thing. The guys with harvest:gain armour just walked past the legions of wax and killed my pyre. So it does have a weakness.

I just beat covenant 22 with 3 wickless barons, a card I've always considered weak. Sometimes what works and what doesn't isn't always straightforward.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Why did I think that crushing demise required a friendly unit

I'm a moron

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Not sure which part of this was more hilarious - the holdover/0-cost Restoration Detonation, the Multistrike 2 Coldcaelia with Cuttlebeard, or Petrified Crucible plus Shard Channeler plus Beefy Thorns Boys.

(deeplink)

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Transcendimp is such a fun card. Especially with Endless. Especially when you're playing the Umbra hero Architect path

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I just won on my 4th try. My opening artifact was volatile gauge, which seemed like a bad idea until I recruited 3 Demon Fiends. The run was pretty easy after that.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

praise snecko

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

bad metaphors posted:

praise snecko

Split Anvil + Snecko Gauge is ridiculous.

"Ah, I will cast my 3-cost card. Now all my 2s and 1s are free. Praise Snecko."

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I feel like I would be winning more if I stopped grabbing all these terrible cards because I haven't mastered them yet.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Two doublestacked stealth spells and seraph never even got to see what killed him. That was pretty fun

Also, that event with the two pyre X spells is super trash, or am I missing something?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

They're quite bad but I do take them if I'm already low on Pyre health. (and since higher covs deal damage to your pyre from the start...) At worst they're playable at 0 mana and consume themselves

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Awokened/Stygian seems like the most obviously "good" combination. Stygian as a main is tough just because the champ is so hard to consistently keep alive. I'm only on Crucuble 4 but my Stygian win I got the "spells cost x less" path, Volatile Gauge, Tempered Talisman, Improved Firebox, two Wilting Sapwoods, and Restoring Retreat. I basically just shoveled every unit I could onto the bottom floor and used my entire hand every single turn. By the final boss I wasn't even looking at my hand, I was just playing absolutely every card.

Just won a run with Umbra as my secondary alliance and holy poo poo I love Morsels. Got a Largestone and Multi-hit on a Crucible Warden, the one that gets damage protection every time it eats a unit. Put a Morselmaster and Morselmaker with it, so it was getting +6 HP/Damage and 4 protection per turn. My big turn strategy was dropping several Excavated Embers, Perils of Production, and the Hell's Banner to get my Pyre up to 11 so I could drop The First Hellpact (+3 to x-costs) onto Shroud Spike (X-cost x2 consume counts) so the Warden would gain 20 shield charges and 60 damage.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
This game rules, I might actually like it better than StS because of how absurdly varied every deck feels, what with the support classes and the custom upgrades. I'm curious what they're planning on adding in the future, I sorta wish there was more boss variety, since even with the variants you're still basically fighting the same guys every run.

This is the goofiest run I've had so far, the start gave me x2 Void Bindings and x2 Immortal Trade so I went "emberdrain?? Screw you, emberdrain!!!", went for 0-costs and +energy and clowned on Seraph with a billion shields on Penumbra. And it was hilarious when Pyrewings showed up. Oh noooooooo, what will I dooooo

monstertrain://runresult/28463e44-c3ad-49ae-8d15-22a85485f491

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Has anyone got any tips for the "10 cards or less" achievement?