Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LabyaMynora posted:

I own CDs of Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, Violator, Songs of Faith and Devotion, Ultra, Exciter, and Playing the Angel.

And I own Sounds of the Universe in digital format, because :lol: $3. And I've listened to it, literally, twice.

'Cuz it sucks.

Delta Machine, spirit, and SoTU are all loving horrible even as someone that likes every other album. PTA was the last "good" album they did and I only liked a few songs from it anyways because yeah its production and mixing is pretty crap

music for the masses and songs of faith and devotion are the two best albums, kinda hard to rate one over the other. then violator, black celebration, ultra, and exciter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah it all went downhill after Vince Clarke left. They did okay without him for a few more albums and consistently manage to put out good singles.

That being said, What's Your Name and A Photograph Of You are two of the very worst songs I have heard in my entire life.
this is so :wrong:

vince clarke was holding them back and they got infinitely better after he left. black celebration, music for the masses, sofad, and violator are absolutely amazing. with masses and sofad just being god tier in particular

now andrew fletcher was definitely the one that could make sure things were good because everything after he left mostly sucked (dm, spirits, sotu are just god awful).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Faster posted:

Songs of Faith and Devotion is one of the most underrated albums of the 90s. They managed to blend rock, synth, and blues into a sonic concept album focused on faith and devotion in spiritual and humanist terms rather than religious, leading to a deeply meaningful album lyrically that has depth and textured production (courtesy Alan Wilder) that was unlike any of their contemporaries.

Playing the Angel was an excellent late-stage album from them as well, reclaiming the glory of their peak years.

loving amazing band.

yeah SOFAD isn't just Depeche Mode's best album, its one of the best albums of all time. i'm partial to a lot from Music for the Masses but SOFAD is just very good top to bottom without a single dud. Alan Wilder was def the dude in charge making sure things got done well because everything after he left has mostly sucked.

PTA is just ok, a few real good songs (precious, suffer well) and mostly just kinda lovely mixed stuff. In terms of post-Wilder, Ultra is a lot better than PTA tho PTA is better than Exciter.