Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Close your eyes and imagine what would happen if you went hiking and your friend kneeled down next to a body of water and scooped the water to their lips. Would you recoil in disgust? Would you offer them a sip from your bottle and explain that they're moments away from certain death or, at best, making GBS threads their guts out?

Then you're gullable and have been tricked by companies that have effectively monetized your fear to sell you their lovely water filters. It's literally the same marketing tactic used by brands that capitalize on human fear - fear of getting old, fear of being left out, fear of death, fear of the 'other.' But the fact is that humans have been drinking water out of puddles and streams for hundreds of thousands of years.

How many times have you walked a dog and seen dog drinking water, and how many times has that dog gotten sick afterwards? It's not because dogs have a stronger immune system! Do you really think cowboys in the 1800s boiled water? Nope! Pirates? Pilgrams? King's, queens, Egyptians, farmers, explorers, conquerors, everyone just drank water that was lying around and they were FINE.

So please next time you go hiking, leave your BPA bottle home. Don't weigh yourself down with your triple microfilter lifestraw. Don't bring bleach. Just drink whatever you see laying around and you'll be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Biohazard posted:

I just bought one of those squeeze bag filter systems for backpacking OP, but I guess I didn't need it since you say dirty water is ok to drink. Boy do I feel like a real loving idiot!

Literally would have been more beneficial for camping if you had traded for one dollar bills and used them as kindling to start a fire. You could have made an equally effective water filter out of a t shirt and dirt.