Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Hi guys, I have an interesting dilemma. I do consulting work and sometimes have to develop on multiple different laptops. I would like to unify my access to them all, but some are locked down and won't allow software installations. I have been using a KVM for a while, which is nice and lets me control everything with one monitor/keyboard and the kvm switch. However, some of my machines I can RDP into, and I found that using Win10's multi desktop feature with the ability to tab over to a new desktop with a maxed out RDP screen to be superior to a KVM, because now I can use my personal laptop and swap around to the other machines easily.

However this solution only works with RDP, and some machines don't allow it. So my question is this: Is there some kind of USB device that can plug into a laptop, and route all input/output to the network, so from the laptop's perspective its just another keyboard/mouse/external monitor, but its something that I can control with a client on another computer? Is that what KVM over IP actually is? I know this might be expensive if even possible and thats ok, I would just love to find a solution to this problem. Any ideas are very much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Yes, you're describing KVM over IP generally, those are going to likely be expensive (but that's relative depending on what you're doing consulting wise).

I would also assume though that if you're working with an organization that won't let you enable RDP or install a remote access client that they're also not likely to let you plug a random device into their network, so that's worth considering.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Well from what I understand they would let me plug in an external keyboard/monitor/mouse and thats technically all the KVM would look like to it. I took a chance on one of these and I'm going to see if it works: https://www.raritan.com/products/kvm-serial/kvm-over-ip-switches/4k-kvm-single-port-ip-switch

The only catch is it doesn't have audio which is annoying for things like meetings, but hopefully I can use my phone or something. I'm curious to see if it works!

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

FateFree posted:

The only catch is it doesn't have audio which is annoying for things like meetings, but hopefully I can use my phone or something. I'm curious to see if it works!
It says it supports audio over hdmi in the features sheet.

How much was this thing? It would be super handy for console development right about now if the latency is reasonable.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I think it was $600, not cheap but worth it for me. The audio out works fine but no audio in which I need for meetings, so I'm looking into a long range mic for that.

Anyway the whole thing works, it's not as fast as rdp into my vms, but it gets the job done so I can't complain!