Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

New Frieren

Hell yeah Denken
Oh no Denken :ohdear:

Serie: You made sure he knew he's there just to contain the demon?

Messenger: He said it would be an honer properly seal that demon.

S: Properly?

M: In hell.

S: Ok he's dead, who else we got in the area to clean this up.

M: F...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hell yeah Denken
Oh no Denken :ohdear:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i believe in denken

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Only Trust Your Fists

The Mage Guild Will Never Help You

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Only Trust Your Fists

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Only Trust Your Fists

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Only Trust Your Fists

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 78

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
fantastic the chapter ends with a kraken attacking their boat, which would be the focus of the chapter in 99% of other mangas

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I love the implication from the flashback that all non human races are horrible sleepers.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well all these beds are designed for humans, what do you expect?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Jerkface posted:

fantastic the chapter ends with a kraken attacking their boat, which would be the focus of the chapter in 99% of other mangas

Just loving this deep insight into sleeping habits

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The further north we go the less I understand the "You must be accompanied by a first class mage" gate that started the tournament arc in the first place.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's an inhabited region. it doesn't make a lick of sense.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's an inhabited region. it doesn't make a lick of sense.

I'm thinking that it's an economic sanction from the lower countries to bring the northern countries to heel. Disguise it as a safety requirement that one of their own guilds administer and whammo! Drop north/south trades to a select few.

Even further it seems like it's mostly nobles who become first class mages. Therefore only nobles can trade with the north at extortionate deals. The Northern Plateau is still fighting Demons after all. This would have the benefit of preventing the merchant class from amassing power.

I don't know if the comic can support/cares about that much conjecture, it makes sense to me at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it could also just be a typical trope of a jrpg world

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It’s inhabited, but it seems like every village needs its own guard garrison to keep from being wiped out and there’s still a low key war going on with the demons. I assume the first class mage restriction is in place to keep people from coming up there who are just going to get slaughtered or who will just be a burden on the resource stretched area. Also it is a JRPG world so there’s got to be an inn to rest at just outside the demon king’s castle.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can't even remember the purpose of this journey

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

RatHat posted:

I can't even remember the purpose of this journey

It’s to uh… you know to… uh…

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

It's all about collecting grimoires.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

And mimicstreasure.

But since I couldn't recall myself, I found it (Volume 1 Chapter 7):

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So it's an aimless journey? Got it.

Fake edit: Also, imagine the useless grimoire Himmel's ghost is going to give them as the quest reward.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

tsob posted:

Fake edit: Also, imagine the useless grimoire Himmel's ghost is going to give them as the quest reward.

It’s gonna be a spell that polishes Himmel statues so he looks good.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ethiser posted:

It’s gonna be a spell that polishes Himmel statues so he looks good.
She already has that one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's kind of odd how frieren doesn't seem to invent spells.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Since you have to write a huge tome just to describe a spell that turns red apples green, she probably doesn't have the patience for it.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe elves roll with disadvantage when trying it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

tsob posted:

So it's an aimless journey? Got it.

A grimoire that erases all knowledge about useless spells. On the one hand it's the antithesis of everything Frieren stands for. On the other hand, it's a super rare and kinda useless spell. The last few chapters are dedicated to the question if she should use it. Eventually she realizes that she can just learn the spell without using it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
That grimoire would not work, because there are no useless spells in Frierens world. :colbert:

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

I think she does but that's not really the point. Her clone already stomped Fern with her super magic that she normally never uses after all.

Frieren's schtick is that she thinks magic should be an every day thing that common people use (opposed by Serie who thinks magic should be reserved for people who are special or extrodinary). She's collecting all these random grimoires because they are snippets into the lives of people who came up with seemingly useless bits of magic that were important enough in someone's life to go through the effort of creating it. Also because she's kind of a hoarder.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She's the equivalent of a browser tab hoarder because she doesn't need to worry about actual physical space being taken up

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
She definitely doesn't keep every grimoire so she has a pretty impressive memory to remember them all

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nah she just tosses all the grimoires she collects into hammerspace

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

nah she just tosses all the grimoires she collects into hammerspace

She has a grimoire that only functions as grimoire storage.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

She's the equivalent of a browser tab hoarder because she doesn't need to worry about actual physical space being taken up

Hey look now that I've got 64 gigs of ram I can have 178 chrome tabs open while I run Mount and Blade okay?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I hope she’s gonna make a library for all these grimoires lest she be depriving the world of spells that scratch you back or turn your apples from green to red.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She's gonna invent a mass produced magicpedia tablet full of all the grimoires she's accumulated so that everyone can use magic easily

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Captain Invictus posted:

She's gonna invent a mass produced magicpedia tablet full of all the grimoires she's accumulated so that everyone can use magic easily

This was along the lines of what I was thinking, actually. Frieren doesn't seem to have whatever spark it is that drives people to make these highly specific, if often useless, spells of convenience that she loves so much or she'd be making her own versions all the time. But I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the series her great contribution to magic after getting all of these scattered grimoires is some kind of easy read magic book that teaches everyone who wants to how to make flowers or clean their clothes.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Frieren's curse is that she is incredibly skilled at making killing magic but can't make magic that unwrinkles doilies to save her life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

The junk collector posted:

She's collecting all these random grimoires because they are snippets into the lives of people who came up with seemingly useless bits of magic that were important enough in someone's life to go through the effort of creating it. Also because she's kind of a hoarder.

This is a really astute point. She's led a peripatetic lifestyle for pretty much all of her very long lifespan, save only (perhaps) for her apprenticeship. But at the same time she's fascinated by the magic that is born out of domestic necessity. She appreciates the insights into quiet domestic lifestyles that she doesn't share. Perhaps she didn't even consciously realize that herself until Himmel's death.