Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Speaking of books, I just picked up the second volume! The official release date is Tuesday but manga typically doesn’t do a Strict-on-Sale so if your local store has it you can buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 79
Best reward yet.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hell yeah these are the best kinds of chapters

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Frieren would buy everything in informercials.

"Do you like making pancakes, but not the mess that comes with it?"
*B/W footagemanga panel of pancake batter splattering everywhere*
"There has to be a better way!"

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Some men give women gifts to show affection.

Himmel gives a bridge.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Gehn was ready for Frieren to come back. Probably hates pancakes now.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Lurking Haro posted:

Frieren would buy everything in informercials.

"Do you like making pancakes, but not the mess that comes with it?"
*B/W footagemanga panel of pancake batter splattering everywhere*
"There has to be a better way!"

Honestly, that is one way to improve the manga, if every time they mentioned a grimoire there was a silly demo.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Got the second volume in english, it ends with the FRIEREN THE SLAYER drop. Don’t recall any major translation differences aside from zoltraack instead of soul track. I did notice Eisen the dwarf fighter talking about the Southern Hero getting killed in a flashback, which we know more about, but neat to see it mentioned so early.

Also, I half remember from translator notes that Frieren at the Funeral was kind of a pun because it can also be read as “Frieren makes the funeral happen” in japanese, or something like that?

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Frieren at the Funeral - slaughtering local wildlife for magic.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I've been seeing some references to this manga being great recently, so I decided to check it out and I just binged it in about 2 days.
This is good.
I love the sweet melancholy that it gives. Never quite languishing on the dramatic part of the passage of time, but focusing on the good things.
Which then is accompanied by the occasional bouts of humour.
The way the manga plays with rpg tropes has been very amusing as well.

Most characters are charming and/or unique and I look forward to the new Denken adventures we're going to have now. Watch him now carry around knuckledusters based on his experience in the tournament arc.

The way the manga handles Frieren's growth, usually accompanied by her flashing back to something Himmel said (that only now apparently makes sense to her) is just wholesome.

Actually, I sometimes I wonder how much of this journey may have actually been "planned" by Himmel, Eisen and Heister.

Still, the weakest parts to me are probably parts of the relationship between Fern and Frieren which focus on Fern now taking care of Frieren. They're sweet together, don't get me wrong. But when she was younger Frieren took care of them both, but now Frieren even relies on Fern to take care of her hair now? Sometimes it feels a bit like the Mangaka doesn't quite know what he/she wants to do with Fern other then show she's a really great mage so he's just flanderizing Frieren into being completely useless outside of magic. Meanwhile Fern is just the angry mother you shouldn't piss off, unless she's casting spells.

I'd say the worst thing about this manga is, that when it ends it's going to be heartbreaking. It's either Frieren dying to join Himmel in...Himmel or Frieren outliving her adopted kid and the rest of the party leaving her alone again. :(

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't know, I can see Frieren dying being quite sweet. A sweetness tinged with the bitter bite of sadness, but even bittersweet feels like it suggests more bitterness than sweetness. So sweetbitter mabye? The story is about Frieren learning to live and love and be, in a way that she hadn't been for countless millenia. Death being the end of that seems like something she'd want, not because of suicidal ideation, but because death is part of life and she'll finally get to experience that part, that mystery etc. She's learning and passing on that knowledge and experience in a way that Elves normally don't, as opposed to Serie and others who just sit there collecting and never really happy. Passing on, and then passing away, so that the next generation, Fern particularly, can fill her role in a way they never could if she was always there to protect, and despite herself, hinder them.

It raises the same ethical implications regarding dying that The Good Place did, to some degree, since a lot of people found that uncomfortable in it's ideation of death, but I never found that troubling personally (I've never had experience with suicide though personally, and I can see why at least some people would find it dissatisfying if they had) but I never found that ending really sad despite the fact the majority of the cast had died by the end.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 13, 2022

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Darth TNT posted:

Actually, I sometimes I wonder how much of this journey may have actually been "planned" by Himmel, Eisen and Heister.

It was planned by Flamme, who knew someday Frieren would have companions she didn’t cherish and would regret it. Himmel, Eisen, and Heiter just happened to be the ones.

I don’t think Frieren dies at the end, because she is treasuring her companions as she goes now, and will see their lives through if not an active part of them after this. I think this is reflected in her conversation with Serie who keeps taking apprentices and remembers all of them even while being disdainful of their short lifespans.

Darth TNT posted:

Still, the weakest parts to me are probably parts of the relationship between Fern and Frieren which focus on Fern now taking care of Frieren. They're sweet together, don't get me wrong. But when she was younger Frieren took care of them both, but now Frieren even relies on Fern to take care of her hair now? Sometimes it feels a bit like the Mangaka doesn't quite know what he/she wants to do with Fern other then show she's a really great mage so he's just flanderizing Frieren into being completely useless outside of magic. Meanwhile Fern is just the angry mother you shouldn't piss off, unless she's casting spells.

I’d re-read the catacombs section of the 1st class mage test. I don’t think Frieren relies on Fern to take care of her, Fern does it because Frieren has bad habits and Fern can’t abide by it after spending so much time together. And Frieren easily admits that she underestimates Fern, but also recognizes her ability.

Like say that you had someone you really respected because you only saw them in a certain light, say a work collegue or parent. Then you spend time with them out of that context and it shatters that image. That’s Frieren and Fern’s relationship. Frieren was this incredible teacher and mage, someone of great respect. Then after a few months travelling you see them as this lazy, slovenly, and lackadasical person who responds to praise and scorn and the two images can’t be resolved and you go crazy. Like when Fern meets Stark for the first time she has to confirm *she* isn’t the crazy one and that Stark is similarly not crazy and Frieren is the weird one.

I think there’s also an element that Frieren has seen it all so she’s calm and not serious because all this is gonna work out and she isn’t worried. I don’t think she’s seriously had her back to the wall at any point, and you see that with her clone’s desperation attack which even Fern’s superior detection can’t figure out.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 13, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

tsob posted:

I don't know, I can see Frieren dying being quite sweet. A sweetness tinged with the bitter bite of sadness, but even bittersweet feels like it suggests more bitterness than sweetness. So sweetbitter mabye? The story is about Frieren learning to live and love and be, in a way that she hadn't been for countless millenia. Death being the end of that seems like something she'd want, not because of suicidal ideation, but because death is part of life and she'll finally get to experience that part, that mystery etc. She's learning and passing on that knowledge and experience in a way that Elves normally don't, as opposed to Serie and others who just sit there collecting and never really happy. Passing on, and then passing away, so that the next generation, Fern particularly, can fill her role in a way they never could if she was always there to protect, and despite herself, hinder them.

It raises the same ethical implications regarding dying that The Good Place did, to some degree, since a lot of people found that uncomfortable in it's ideation of death, but I never found that troubling personally (I've never had experience with suicide though personally, and I can see why at least some people would find it dissatisfying if they had) but I never found that ending really sad despite the fact the majority of the cast had died by the end.

Yeah, I feel like this series can have a very interesting (if heartbreaking) conclusion.

Fellis posted:

It was planned by Flamme, who knew someday Frieren would have companions she didn’t cherish and would regret it. Himmel, Eisen, and Heiter just happened to be the ones.

I don’t think Frieren dies at the end, because she is treasuring her companions as she goes now, and will see their lives through if not an active part of them after this. I think this is reflected in her conversation with Serie who keeps taking apprentices and remembers all of them even while being disdainful of their short lifespans.
Not quite what I meant. I mean like Heiter manipulated Frieren to stick around long enough to foist Fern on her. Eisen meanwhile tried to manipulate her to go the North and he notes he learned some tricks from Heiter. Which then coincides with the stuff Flamme left behind.
I know there's no way for Flamme to have colluded with with the hero party since she was long long dead by then. But it feels like Heiter and Eisen may have ulterior motives to send Frieren off like this.

And true, you make a strong case for her to survive this story. On the other hand, Serie survives but doesn't really do anything. Contrast Frieren who runs around doing odd jobs and collecting weird magic. Frieren is alive in the world and even if she dies a lot of people will remember her for a very long time. Contrast Serie, who may remember her students, but how long will people remember her? As far as we can tell she doesn't do anything except sit on a throne and lord over the mages.
I don't know, we'll see. :)

Fellis posted:

I’d re-read the catacombs section of the 1st class mage test. I don’t think Frieren relies on Fern to take care of her, Fern does it because Frieren has bad habits and Fern can’t abide by it after spending so much time together. And Frieren easily admits that she underestimates Fern, but also recognizes her ability.

Like say that you had someone you really respected because you only saw them in a certain light, say a work collegue or parent. Then you spend time with them out of that context and it shatters that image. That’s Frieren and Fern’s relationship. Frieren was this incredible teacher and mage, someone of great respect. Then after a few months travelling you see them as this lazy, slovenly, and lackadasical person who responds to praise and scorn and the two images can’t be resolved and you go crazy. Like when Fern meets Stark for the first time she has to confirm *she* isn’t the crazy one and that Stark is similarly not crazy and Frieren is the weird one.

I think there’s also an element that Frieren has seen it all so she’s calm and not serious because all this is gonna work out and she isn’t worried. I don’t think she’s seriously had her back to the wall at any point, and you see that with her clone’s desperation attack which even Fern’s superior detection can’t figure out.

In the date chapter Frieren literally tells Fern to just pick any dress and come over to do her hair already even though her hair has literally never changed unless Fern did something...like the braids.
I get what you're saying and yes Fern tries to ensure that Frieren stays on top of things instead of slowing down. But like the example I quoted just feels a bit...weird.
The relationship and the way Fern interacts with the world make perfect sense to me considering Frieren. It's just that it seems Frieren is getting more and more dependent on Fern for normal every day life.

The date chapter was so good.
You know what I loved most about it? I was all set for Fern to come out looking anime gorgeous with cleavage to match. Instead she comes along in an extremely modest dress and still Stark notices she looks cute. :)

I also just discovered that Fern is probably not pronounced like the plant, but more like fern in fernseher. I can't believe I missed that despite picking up on the German influences.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth TNT posted:

I also just discovered that Fern is probably not pronounced like the plant, but more like fern in fernseher. I can't believe I missed that despite picking up on the German influences.

What's "fernseher" mean, and how is it pronounced, out of interest? Since I've been pronouncing it like the plant too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno where you got the idea that frieren going on low stakes adventures means she will be remembered. more often or not, the high stakes adventures she had with himmel were already forgotten. heck, the people she personally helped with himmel have mostly forgotten her to say nothing of their children and grandchildren. that monk elf had statues dedicated to his honor and now no one remembers him at all. time and mortality erode all words and deeds. serie has created a large organization so if nothing else she'll be remembered as a legendary mage like her student flamme.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

tsob posted:

What's "fernseher" mean, and how is it pronounced, out of interest? Since I've been pronouncing it like the plant too.

fern = distant
sehen = to see

so it basically translates to "remote viewer", also known as television :)

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

tsob posted:

Fernseher is television and fern means far.
https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Datei:De-fern.ogg

fezball
Nov 8, 2009
For pronounciation, https://ttsmp3.com/text-to-speech/German/ seems to do a decent enough job from the few ones i tried out.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

tsob posted:

Others have already answered it. The mp3 site fezball posted is pretty much how I would pronounce it. Mind you, I’m neither native German nor native English so my pronunciation is probably slightly off either way.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i dunno where you got the idea that frieren going on low stakes adventures means she will be remembered. more often or not, the high stakes adventures she had with himmel were already forgotten. heck, the people she personally helped with himmel have mostly forgotten her to say nothing of their children and grandchildren. that monk elf had statues dedicated to his honor and now no one remembers him at all. time and mortality erode all words and deeds. serie has created a large organization so if nothing else she'll be remembered as a legendary mage like her student flamme.

Wirbel recently made a big point that in his town the big stories that were told were the stories about how the hero party came by and did their dirty laundry.
The hero party adventure hasn’t been forgotten by anyone, not recognizing a member (in a world without tv or internet) is not the same as not remembering when the world was saved.
The greatest most legendary mage isn’t Serie, it’s Flamme. Flamme also apparently made the first organization, which is likely where that elder wand symbol came from that everyone has already forgotten about. Which should tell you enough about the current organization.
The previous hero party however has been forgotten for the most part. Though the statues at least still exist.
Best guess is that it could go either way.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jan 15, 2022

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
"Himmel" and "the hero's party" are often remembered in low-key ways (unique from place to place) that will probably be forgotten in another generation or two, but still have lasting effects even if the proper names are forgotten. Doing the right thing is its own reward, even if the effects aren't immediately obvious. Frieren is slowly internalizing this lesson as she retraces her steps.

Serie appears to have the opinion that truly first-class magic should be wielded by those with the sheer force of will, personality, or "willingness to go one's own way" that is destined to make a permanent mark of some kind.

Neither of them really appear to have any ego invested in the process; it's just two fundamentally conflicting views on how magic can shape the world to come. An academic turf war that only Serie is really interested in actively waging; Frieren keeps up her end out of the growing realization that Himmel may have hit on something truly epochal that she missed.

Serie is a great character for how she consistently and logically applies her worldview even if it challenges her preconceptions ("What the hell is up with the candidates this year?") and even as it brings her into conflict with Frieren. She's a dick, but she has a point of view.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 16, 2022

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 80
Thats our Frieren. Always buying the precious pot.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 80
Thats our Frieren. Always buying the precious pot.

It should have been a mimic

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
This chapter was wholfsome.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wowww! What a huge action sequence, off screen!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

where it belongs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Wowww! What a huge action sequence, off screen!

I'm just waiting for the battle that goes 'What a ferocious monster' next panel 'I cannot believe that it spat out mimics as a last ditch effort to defeat us'

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Babe Magnet posted:

where it belongs

Yeah, this story is not about thrilling action sequences. I wonder how the eventual anime adaption will handle it.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I'm convinced at this point that the artist is just openly taunting people who complain about the static 'action' sequences -- all three of the main characters in that panel pretty much have the same pose, leaning back slightly with their arms down, like limp action figures. Like, the artist has legitimate limitations in depicting action (difficult to discern exactly what the giant wolfy-thing was doing -- just striking with its front paws, and only its front paws, while the rest of the body remained motionless?) but this really feels like they were leaning into it to make the point.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, this story is not about thrilling action sequences. I wonder how the eventual anime adaption will handle it.

it's great because not only would the slide-show single image action sequences be accurate to the source material but it would save so much money lol

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

it's great because not only would the slide-show single image action sequences be accurate to the source material but it would save so much money lol

That money would be then immediately used for the most lavish and detailed art and animation of the random pot or book Freieren would buy after returning back to town.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

and the food

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

I'm convinced at this point that the artist is just openly taunting people who complain about the static 'action' sequences -- all three of the main characters in that panel pretty much have the same pose, leaning back slightly with their arms down, like limp action figures. Like, the artist has legitimate limitations in depicting action (difficult to discern exactly what the giant wolfy-thing was doing -- just striking with its front paws, and only its front paws, while the rest of the body remained motionless?) but this really feels like they were leaning into it to make the point.

I thought the wolf was attacking with its sideburns, which is so badass I didn't bother rechecking.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Darth TNT posted:

I thought the wolf was attacking with its sideburns, which is so badass I didn't bother rechecking.

Same

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The funniest thing about an anime adaptation would be if they gave it to a good studio and they conversely just went ham on the battles because they can do whatever they want so long as the outcome is the same- and anime only viewers were like "man, this action series has a good story too!"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Darth TNT posted:

He's not attacking with his sideburns?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow that was totally what I thought too, but looking again it just looks that way because the whiskers are touching the lines from the explosion where the wolf was standing.

I think it's actually jumping up and backwards, away from them? That's the only thing that would explain why the whiskers are bent forward like that.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I like the severe underplaying of the combat in this series. It's almost a rebuke to other similar manga, which is all about kicking rear end and taking names (while nobody actually dies or even changes much). In this one, it's a given that, yes yes, they win, now here's Frieren having a bittersweet memory of her time with the man she discovered she loved only after he died. The manga knows what its focus is and stays on it like a laser.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Missing out on some cool magic visuals though. It doesn't need to be a 12 page shounen spread, but at least show the finishing blow.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sindai posted:

Wow that was totally what I thought too, but looking again it just looks that way because the whiskers are touching the lines from the explosion where the wolf was standing.

I think it's actually jumping up and backwards, away from them? That's the only thing that would explain why the whiskers are bent forward like that.

Nooo!! Stop killing the magic sideburns wolf! :argh:

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Missing out on some cool magic visuals though. It doesn't need to be a 12 page shounen spread, but at least show the finishing blow.

On a less magical note, I feel like the supposed strength of axe guy is solely an informed ability. We pretty much never see him do much of anything. Why exactly did the mages need a vanguard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Remember that time stark had cut a mountain in half

Remember that time he was repeatedly impaled and still doing super moves