Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fighting that plant that put everyone to sleep was my favorite fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 81

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he's back

this arc's gonna kick rear end

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 26, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Such sweet sorrow.

I can't wait for more Denken. It's going to be pretty funny if El Dorado is already old.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, this is the kind of manga where Macht being old and infirm (or even dead from old age) is a real possibility. And if that's the case, Denken's reaction would be.... interesting.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I really liked those pages where Denken was just walking through the perfectly preserved golded home town.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
If Macht is already old and not all powerful anymore, but still a demon and kind of a prick, I could see Denken having a fist fight with him, just two old men slugging with each other.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I think Frieren is my favorite currently releasing manga, especially since Berserk ended.

edit Apparently I also thought this back in October, lol. But yeah, this manga is great.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Kinda a fantasy YKK vibe I just realized. Very different but a similar feel with an easygoing immortal character

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fellis posted:

Kinda a fantasy YKK vibe I just realized. Very different but a similar feel with an easygoing immortal character

It's kind of like if Alpha was a YoRHa model, yeah.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 82

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Quick arc.

Hero of the South really was amazing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Denken sounds like Sean Connery when he talks. :colbert:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 83
rip that poor cute bunny.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
lol.

the mangaka is using it as an excuse to draw cute things

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i wonder if he can just goldize denken at any point now or if he was just showing up like "yeah man i get it"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Maybe the bracelet let Macht read and understand human mind somewhat. So he felt for Denken?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait to skip scene on the fight again.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the boss will be defeated by a lore dump either immediately before or after his defeat which reveals The Secret Flaw in demons/magic that shows how they had a one in a million chance to win.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I think Frieran will defeat Macht with "Wrinkle Proof Clothing" Magic which will counteract "Turn to gold" magic.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

I think Frieran will defeat Macht with "Wrinkle Proof Clothing" Magic which will counteract "Turn to gold" magic.

They both add the same status effect, so only one can be active at a time.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 84
:ohdear: break next week.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

So the demon decided the best way to "serve" Weiss was to turn it into indestructible gold and since demons can't feel malice the kill order never triggered.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Yeah it seems like a dumb monkey's paw / "we told the AI to maximize happiness" deal where Macht doesn't see any malice in his action of turning the town and its inhabitants into gold because he's a demon lol.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

just use magic that causes a being to feel the slightest amount of malice towards a specific subject

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

just use magic that causes a being to feel the slightest amount of malice towards a specific subject

*turns your green apple red*

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Lurking Haro posted:

*turns your green apple red*

:rant:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurking Haro posted:

*turns your red apple green*
:tizzy:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Macht would be useful transforming coins of a low quality metal into gold. It would get found out but you could pump and dump the market prior.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm not the only one weirded out that this arc introduced what's essentially a slave collar from those godawful isekais, right? And that the plan seems to be to rejigger it in hopes of killing the guy wearing it?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

amigolupus posted:

I'm not the only one weirded out that this arc introduced what's essentially a slave collar from those godawful isekais, right? And that the plan seems to be to rejigger it in hopes of killing the guy wearing it?

I don't think any of our characters are condoning its use or saying anything even remotely positive about such a device. It was used by a bad king whose explicit motive was greed so I'm not seeing any red flags here

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well if it was widespread and we saw the institution of slavery then that comparison would be apt. As it is presented the bracelet is something of very rare power, thematically more like a magical geas than enslavement.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, it is totally enslavement. but this chapter said flat out the whole endless wealth thing doesn't make any sense and there must have been more going on.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think it's going to be a "read and find out".

Note that attempting to use or ally with a demon to benefit yourself is, itself, evil in the setting.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Slavery being in an isekai/fantasy story as a plot element is not bad. It’s slavery being tolerated, accepted, or actively engaged in by the protagonist, or other positively presented characters. That is when you start going yikes.

Like when Frieren accepted her enslavement like two dozen chapters ago, that’s when this poo poo series went off a cliff

yes im doing this bit again deal with it

Fellis fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 23, 2022

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
How can you even do the bit without even mentioning that demons are a race of sentient, free-willed beings that are just naturally always evil. :colbert:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They've said that any personalities or sapience demons show is just a mimicry adaptation to hunt humans better so maybe ethically enslaving a demon is just like if you had captured a wild predator to keep as a pet.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Ethiser posted:

They've said that any personalities or sapience demons show is just a mimicry adaptation to hunt humans better so maybe ethically enslaving a demon is just like if you had captured a wild predator to keep as a pet.

I think they're sapient just with a fundamentally different way of thinking than people so mutual understanding isn't really possible. It's the human like behaviors they adopt that are mimicry in large part because people love to humanize other things especially animals. Like, if you are dealing with a tiger, it's not fundamentally evil but if you treat it like as human you are going to be disappointed and probably eaten. So I like your point about a wild predator except the demons I believe are capable of thought, just not "human" thought.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well if it was widespread and we saw the institution of slavery then that comparison would be apt. As it is presented the bracelet is something of very rare power, thematically more like a magical geas than enslavement.

It was literally a geas but the geas was used to try and enslave him.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Writers just can't stop themselves from putting slavery into everything.

Remember the slavery implant from Resident Evil 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't think the moral of this arc is going to be that it's cool and good to enslave demons