Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Can Of Worms posted:

First comment on the chapter:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Aura introduces the most dastardly demon art yet More dangerous than soul destruction, magic decapitating wire, or blood blades. Big Bank takes Little Bank

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Is that a Band of the Falcon crest on one of the suits of armor?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Lurking Haro posted:

How about the classical origin of demons, the fear and nightmares of humans?
Same thing I use for D&D games (that I swiped from a 70s sci-fi series)

Monsters are nightmares made flesh; they are not born but instead manifest from the ether fully formed

Jackard fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 16, 2020

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Ambush

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I love a good standoff.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Master's Technique
The fight draws to a close on both fronts it seems. Frieran for all her spartan training did make sure Fern can handle her own. Stark almost went full :black101: but he's too chill like everyone in this series

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Brought To You By posted:

Master's Technique
The fight draws to a close on both fronts it seems. Frieran for all her spartan training did make sure Fern can handle her own. Stark almost went full :black101: but he's too chill like everyone in this series

It was very satisfying watching the students come into their own.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
This isn't even my final form.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Looking forward to the Nen battles.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, at least there's finally an indication that demons have their own values.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Looking forward to the Nen battles.

If Fern eventually gains speeds to rival Netero's 100-Type Bodhisattva this manga would become the best thing I've ever read.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Goku takes off his weighted clothing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Frieran takes off her weighted emotions.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Our first introduction to demons has them portrayed as inhuman sociopaths that cannot comprehend the meaning of family, friendship, and trust. Now it appears they are just rear end in a top hat wizard bigots, no different from any other human arrogant wizard except in their politeness.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Our first introduction to demons has them portrayed as inhuman sociopaths that cannot comprehend the meaning of family, friendship, and trust. Now it appears they are just rear end in a top hat wizard bigots, no different from any other human arrogant wizard except in their politeness.

killing others or being killed: ho hum whatever, who cares, just put out some basic weasel words
hiding your magic aura: this is hosed up, you're hosed up, what the gently caress

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What's weird is that Flamme and Frieran seem to agree with them that it's disgusting and cowardly.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

It makes sense from the demons' point of view that masking your true magical nature would seem like cheating. Apex predators like them wouldn't understand why anyone would hide an overwhelming advantage.

And as cowardly as it may feel to our heroes, it's better than having the enemy know exactly how much power they need to counter you.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

golden bubble posted:

Yeah, I gave it a chance to see where it went but seems like the author couldn't write what they intended, I guess it's just a generic fantasy manga that looks pretty in the end. And racism might not have been intended, but if you make the mistake of reading the comments, unfortunately many take it like that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah if they'd managed to keep the sociopathic, inhuman nature of them consistent that'd be one thing, but to me they've been acting quite a bit more just like rear end in a top hat serial killer people than alien monsters incompatible with humanity the last few chapters. It's a shame.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I still like this manga, but I think it would have been much more interesting had it kept the theme of the first few chapters: an immortal elf, traveling the world to fulfill her late friends' final wishes, as everything and everyone she cares about dies around her, leaving her alone to grieve and face loss.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The fact that the series has been focusing more and more about How Powerful Frieran Is has been the issue, I feel. It's missing the melancholy tone that captured me at first and it's become somewhat generic. I imagine what's going to happen is we have generation 2 of the heroic party and they have a new adventure to go on, which isn't what I wanted out of the series - and maybe that the series couldn't support that as a concept, but hey, things can be short and end early if they have to.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, now it is getting into why this emotionally distant elf would have gone on the previous journey. the demon side is pretty uneven, but otherwise the current arc has done a decent job of showing how and why frieran hates demons so much. however, if the demons are never given any complexity or nuance then i guess it's just as crappy as it seemed at first.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want to know where demons get their fancy outfits.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Sindai posted:

I want to know where demons get their fancy outfits.

I think they're built in (or camouflage). Don't they vanish when the demons do?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The demons almost seem like they're amorphous blog creatures, you can see when they get holes blasted through them there's just kind of a neat, featureless hole there. so the idea that they're some shapeshifting creature that are assuming the forms of man would make sense, and thus clothes would be part of their shapeshifting

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, one potential hook is that frieran herself doesn't know much about demons beyond what the manga has already shown. she knows how they fight and how to kill them, but that's about it. so if the story reveals more details it will be a surprise to her too.

but again, that requires there to actually be more details to reveal which i'm still uncertain about.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm guessing we're not going to get any like...sudden swerves, nuances or major changing details about the demons or anything. I think they're just meant to be a spoooooky jrpg enemy, with bio truths looming omionusly overhead which, at best, was just something not thought through at all.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Frieran is stone cold. God drat that chapter ending.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
new chapter and I've seen this setup happen before except it was some japanese kid with a bird in his eye.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Omae ha mou shindeiru.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I ended up liking this arc overall, mostly for the backstory on Frieran and her mentor.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It certainly shifts the tone of the work. Previously, it seemed like she was detached because she was ancient and elven. But now it looks like her personality is due to her multi-millenium struggle in the forever war between demons and other races. She's not some sort eccentric elf from the mists of time, but rather Mikazuki Argus but actually-1000-years-old.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love that fuzzy monster she kills on page 13

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ultimately the story beats for this arc were pretty much pound for pound what I expected, the only thing that really caught me off guard is Freiran's age, since most dnd like stories dont have elves be this long lived.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Elven birth rates are so low because no one wants to have a baby for 300 years or deal with a teenager for 1000 years.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I was curious if demons could compare to Frieran in age. Guess not.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think that went like everyone knew it would but I still enjoyed it.

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Two full pages of flashback montage but not a single panel of Frieren getting stuck in a mimic?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Hypocrisy posted:

I was curious if demons could compare to Frieran in age. Guess not.

I would imagine the Demon King must be older than her, given that Flamme mentions that Frieran shouldn't expose her true strength until she kills him. Which she says when Frieran was quite young.

Rubellavator posted:

I think that went like everyone knew it would but I still enjoyed it.

I hoped early on that there'd be at least one demon that showed some more human traits, and even once it became obvious that wasn't going to happen in the last few chapters feared that it'd instead be a chapter long fight with some back and forth in a chapter dedicated to them trading blows. The chapter being mostly flashback/setup for Frieran ending it in seconds, without any real investment in it or drawn out conflict is a swerve from what I was expecting, and better for it.