Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Not fond of the title. Otherwise,

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
"Frieran: Beyond Journey's End" might not have the alliterative charm of "Frieran At The Funeral", but it's honestly a more suitable title given the actual plot of the manga.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Getting some dissonance of arguing over titles when the thread title and most posters can't even spell the name right.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Francis at the Futile is a much better title then Fanny Alter Journeyman.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

"Frieran: Beyond Journey's End" might not have the alliterative charm of "Frieran At The Funeral", but it's honestly a more suitable title given the actual plot of the manga.

I mean, directly yes, but "funeral" in the title sets a mood of meditation on impermanence, while Beyond Journey's End makes me think more of 90s direct to video sequels.

I mean, not that it's a bad title choice, but having the specter of death over the whole series right from the title does help the mood.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Agreed; "Funeral" is a great title for a character like Frieren who can't help but dwell on the past while trying to move on and live in the moment. But it could be worse. I'm just glad it's been officially picked up.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Junkozeyne posted:

Getting some dissonance of arguing over titles when the thread title and most posters can't even spell the name right.

Who gets it wrong? I've never seen a single misspelling of Freeren.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Who gets it wrong? I've never seen a single misspelling of Freeren.

You left out the "j".

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I love the 80s boob comedy Ferrari at the Fry Shack

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Agreed; "Funeral" is a great title for a character like Frieren who can't help but dwell on the past while trying to move on and live in the moment. But it could be worse. I'm just glad it's been officially picked up.

I think "dwell" oversells what happens, and Frieren never comes off as someone held back by or bound to her past so much as reflecting on her past and how the present contrasts it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Frieren at the Funeral is a better title tonally considering the point of it is her journey after attending a literal funeral for a old campanion- and that as she recounts each chapter of her new journey it is framed in the number of years since that funeral.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I got to dive back into this manga after not reading it for awhile, and it was a real treat! I'm looking forward to seeing the full-time party get established, and I'm glad that they still have a looong way to go to the obvious ending point of the manga. Even once they get there and resolve whatever clearly messed-up situation may lie there, I see plenty of potential in continuing Frieran's story another 100 years or so past where the manga is now. It'd be pretty compelling to see her take on a new adventure with new pals, after we have seen her lose the people that we've also had a long time to really get to know and like.

I mean, imagine how much cooler this already cool story would've been if it'd been preceded by us seeing 100+ chapters of Frieran's adventure with the hero. I'm not expecting the manga to go on and do multiple sets of adventures, but it'd be neat to see it. I'm positive that we'll at least get an epilogue checking in on her after a long timeskip, or the sad ending where she saves the world but dies in the process.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I got to dive back into this manga after not reading it for awhile, and it was a real treat! I'm looking forward to seeing the full-time party get established, and I'm glad that they still have a looong way to go to the obvious ending point of the manga. Even once they get there and resolve whatever clearly messed-up situation may lie there, I see plenty of potential in continuing Frieran's story another 100 years or so past where the manga is now. It'd be pretty compelling to see her take on a new adventure with new pals, after we have seen her lose the people that we've also had a long time to really get to know and like.

I mean, imagine how much cooler this already cool story would've been if it'd been preceded by us seeing 100+ chapters of Frieran's adventure with the hero. I'm not expecting the manga to go on and do multiple sets of adventures, but it'd be neat to see it. I'm positive that we'll at least get an epilogue checking in on her after a long timeskip, or the sad ending where she saves the world but dies in the process.

I don't think it would be better, honestly. The flashback scenes aren't badly done, but it's pretty baseline stuff. A hundred chapters of standard adventure would make the current arc feel like an artificial continuation. Starting with Frieran having left it behind gives a much better starting point and lets the more conventional adventure feel more interesting since we only see little bits of it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

tsob posted:

I think "dwell" oversells what happens, and Frieren never comes off as someone held back by or bound to her past so much as reflecting on her past and how the present contrasts it.

Much of who she is as a character is informed through the lives, and especially deaths, of others. She didnt reflect on how much the journey meant to her until she attended Himmel's funeral, And she will be there for countless other funerals if she keeps on living. She definitely dwells upon it, and is the reason why she takes on Fern and Stark as companions.

Considering how often the manga reflects upon death its a fitting name, but I agree it could be a bit more elegant.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Feb 22, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 39

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I can't imagine having a spell that's range is shorter than the caster's arm is entirely practical. But I'm excited to see how the Team Mimic Bait can pull it off.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

I can't imagine having a spell that's range is shorter than the caster's arm is entirely practical. But I'm excited to see how the Team Mimic Bait can pull it off.

It reminds me of catching snipes by pouring salt on their tails.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Next chapter of The Hunter'sMage's Exam
So that's how she planned to use that spell. Creative and also RIP that one group who died to an antiquated testing system.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Next chapter of The Hunter'sMage's Exam
So that's how she planned to use that spell. Creative and also RIP that one group who died to an antiquated testing system.

I think this test regularly kills people since the rules notably said nothing against killing your fellow test-takers.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I Am Fowl posted:

I think this test regularly kills people since the rules notably said nothing against killing your fellow test-takers.
It's explained by the old mage that it weeds out weaker mages who wouldn't hold a candle to the demon king's slayers.

In the exam that said team's mage is attending. :v:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I like how the first chapter didn’t call attention to how strong the hero’s party was, because it wasn’t important to the story, and it was only a decent way into the manga that we see just how badly they could wreck someone’s day.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

RIP formerly flying mages.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hypocrisy posted:

RIP formerly flying mages.

I went back to find them, and they only exist on that panel. They're basically red shirts.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Frierran after the Funeral might've been a better title

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I feel about as old as Frieran that I had to ask my nephew what kind of dance that was. His answer was instantaneous. :eng99:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I feel about as old as Frieran that I had to ask my nephew what kind of dance that was. His answer was instantaneous. :eng99:

...Dancing Spiderman?

Otherwise the answer is always Fortnite.

Is it?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

...Dancing Spiderman?

Otherwise the answer is always Fortnite.

Is it?

The technical term is 'Orange Justice' but yes. The answer was fortnite.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I thought the answer was usually "Fortnite is ripping off something they found without permission, and ending up in legal hot water the game's producers are too rich to care about" at least half the time? Which, yup, looking up this dance is kind of what's happening here, since while the original was submitted for a contest, it wasn't even particularly close to winning but Fortnite used anyway and the kids mother is sueing Epic for using.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I stand corrected then. The dance is called 'The Random' and unfortunately at least 3 of the dance related lawsuits including this one were dropped months after they were filed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
frieran being a good dancer is the height of implausibility.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
My old rear end assumed it was a reference to 2011 Industrial Cybergoth dance videos on youtube.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mentat Radnor posted:

My old rear end assumed it was a reference to 2011 Industrial Cybergoth dance videos on youtube.

I think that's part of why all those lawsuits were dropped.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Huzzah! A new chapter (41).

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Can't muster up enough enthusiasm for these side characters that will most likely only show how overpowered our protagonists are. Pacing feels very off for this half-hearted pseudo tournament arc. Can't wait until it ends, let's hurry up and get the philosophising about this mage exam over with.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Who needs fancy tricks when you have overwhelming training in the fundamentals?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Who needs fancy tricks when you have overwhelming training in the fundamentals?

Not Fern, apparently.

She's trained in the old school, when magic had to be all about getting the job done. Means she fights like she belongs in an old folks home... but it's also the style that lets people survive long enough to get to that old folks home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

pnumoman posted:

Can't muster up enough enthusiasm for these side characters that will most likely only show how overpowered our protagonists are. Pacing feels very off for this half-hearted pseudo tournament arc. Can't wait until it ends, let's hurry up and get the philosophising about this mage exam over with.

I don't really mind the core idea of the arc; what I find slightly off-putting, and I don't believe it was so apparent in previous chapters is that every one of the new characters appears to have a really specific style of magic and only one or two spells they use. It reminds me a lot of Naruto, and it's not really the kind of thing I was expecting, or frankly, want, out of this. I don't mind there being so much variety that someone would specialize in one area, or be stronger in one thing than another; that's pretty normal, it's that they all seem to have just one style of magic they can express in a handful of ways, and they need to work their opponent in to a really specific situation to defeat them using those limited number of tricks. It's very shonenesque. It's apparent now in how Frieren's compatriots had really specific tricks, but I thought it was just their limitations rather than a general thing at the time.