Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Man I love chapter 5. When she says "It seems 80 years is a very long time for humans" you know she's sympathizing with Qual in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's small.

I love the tiny panel jokes like Frieran trying to pull Fern off that tree or trying to carry her own body mass in treasure. They remind me of how Delicious in Dungeon is jam packed with jokes.

I kind of expect that this manga is going to end with Frieran outliving everyone in this party as well, and then a montage page of all the other parties she outlives in the future, and then we all cry a lot.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Didn't see that one coming.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I feel like if the demons are actually a whole species with no empathy who can't understand concepts like family they shouldn't be organized what appears to be more or less along human lines.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The title drop is clever, but the demons are still pretty boring antagonists. If we see more of them later I hope the author has more interesting plans for them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I want to know where demons get their fancy outfits.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I ended up liking this arc overall, mostly for the backstory on Frieran and her mentor.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Other names according to the comments:

Kraft = strength
Genau = precise
Wirbel = whirlwind
Denken = thinking

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah it more or less makes sense. Someone who can cast "decapitate" in half a second is going to beat someone who knows ten different murder spells but takes two seconds to cast any of them most of the time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
uh oh, Laufen has awoken the dragon

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I love Denken

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The very first page killed me.

Oh god the last page too. Evidently something about Stark just brings out the philosopher in everybody.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 21, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I can't believe we finally learned the deepest of Frieren lore: the reason she always falls for mimics.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
He was probably super disappointed at how easy the demon lord fight was since his whole party was overleveled.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Those teeth look scary but considering the lack of blood mimics either have zero jaw strength or every part of them has the consistency of soft rubber.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The link takes me to 54 and (bizarrely, since it's exactly the same site) I can't see 55 from there. This one works: https://reader.kireicake.com/read/frieren_at_the_funeral/en/0/55/page/1

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Well, there's the explanation for "why doesn't everyone just do that?" back when Frieren revealed her mana to the demon.

I just now realized I've had Sense and Serie confused with each other since whenever they were both introduced. Is Sense just a second ancient elf mage?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 7, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm not really clear on why Methode passed since I can't remember what her thing is. Maybe Serie just wanted to be called cute.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I love Stark's off-page adventures.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Frieren still searching for magic that lets you do your own hair.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's so rare to find a manga that can consistently tell such great one-chapter stories.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Hey now, that charade almost succeeded in getting Frieren's powerful friends to attack his business, causing great property damage and possibly injury! So you see he's actually very uh not sure where I was going with this.

I suppose the author just wanted to trick the reader and wasn't able to think of a better way to do it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It does help the deadpan humor land.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Methode's probably been carrying around that tome ever since the exam for exactly this scenario, scary.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Did Fern kill both or did Frieren get the first one?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I mean if there's any setting where it does make sense it's Bleach, since most characters are some variety of ghost and don't care about biology.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Finally, Frieren can become a rap god

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Well all these beds are designed for humans, what do you expect?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wow that was totally what I thought too, but looking again it just looks that way because the whiskers are touching the lines from the explosion where the wolf was standing.

I think it's actually jumping up and backwards, away from them? That's the only thing that would explain why the whiskers are bent forward like that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Frieren demons remind me a little of Peter Watts' vampires so they're pretty cool.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The demons truly are evil

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Vizuyos posted:

The core of Frieren is finding the beauty in the trivial day-to-day. Rather than flashy combat magic or elaborate battle scenes, I'd much prefer they give it to someone who'll focus on the beauty of the sunset, the wonder of the flower bed making spell, and things like that.
I'd want the crew currently doing Call of the Night. They knew how to make the chill vibe of most of the story beautiful and the rare action scenes impactful.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 10, 2022

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The same picture being used for 1 and 100 is just too perfect

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
We saw that one flashback with the child demon so they probably don't spring fully formed into existence, but I can't recall any other details.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Makes sense, they're nearly perfect mimics.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Surprised at how high Aura placed. If she wasn't holding scales I wouldn't even have remembered exactly who she was.

Then again thinking back outside of the mage exam arc the series has few major characters in general, and she provided one of Frieren's most memorable moments, so I guess it's not that far a stretch.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 7, 2022

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
She sounds much more intimidating in German

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Taking a few weeks off to properly draw how angry this is going to make Himmel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Tod just casually mentioning she is cursing the sun was certainly.... something. :stare:
IIRC, in Japanese the same word can be used for stars and planets. Since the translation was "this star" I think she was referring to the planet rather than the sun.

Still pretty important, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
What's the poll results at the end about? Peoples' favorite chapter?