Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Frieren at the Funeral is a better title tonally considering the point of it is her journey after attending a literal funeral for a old campanion- and that as she recounts each chapter of her new journey it is framed in the number of years since that funeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the old mage guy is growing on me

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The clone guy has some balls, it rules.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
How many times has it been now that Frieren has been threatened with being essentially imprisoned for long periods of time and been "eh whatever" at the prospect

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I find the flat affect everyone in the series has to be kinda weird but that's just how the mangaka rolls so it's fine

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The funniest thing about an anime adaptation would be if they gave it to a good studio and they conversely just went ham on the battles because they can do whatever they want so long as the outcome is the same- and anime only viewers were like "man, this action series has a good story too!"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I got the impression that the demons in this series are probably some sort of constructs rather than "normal" organic beings that evolved or whatever. Like they were created by someone or something and just act on base programming.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The mana suppression thing I always thought was practically useful for hiding but also obviously seemed to strengthen your overall amount of mana you had if you kept doing it.

I'd have to go back and read it again but when frieren's master taught her to do it, it came off like she was sort of bemused and bullshitting a bit and thinking like, "I wonder what'll happen if I have this elf girl suppress her mana for centuries?" Basically she was teaching Frieren the technique for the practical reasons of hiding and efficiently using mana, but also to see if doing it for hundreds of years turns her into Goku.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I've always had the impression that Demons were some sort of weird constructs- so they could literally just be missing the wiring that allows them to feel emotions that would make them less efficient killing machines.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If they're constructs I'd put money on the elves having created them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Omniphile posted:

Elves are the original apathetic amoral humanoids of this setting so it wouldn't be surprising. "Oh yeah, we made demons? Completely forgot, that was thousands of years ago and we've done cooler stuff since. Like magic that can make hamster wheels spin slightly faster."
Well and there clearly aren't a lot of elves left to tell the tale if it was the case. If they were created say, 5000+ years ago you could have an elf that lived 4000 years, a ridiculous amount of time- be like "that's the first I've heard of this" if it was suggested.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Probably the breakpoint for a new volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My take on the demons in this setting is still that they're kinda like the Typhon from Prey. And that can end with humanity genuinely trying to bridge the gap there.