Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Chapter 13.

I'd been wondering if any other elves still existed. Hopefully this is Chekhov's Elf, and we'll run into some more soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

rannum posted:

where are we headed
Heaven
sounds like fun

:allears:
Someone on reddit pointed out that the german word for Heaven is Himmel.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think Frieren and the demons have more in common than she's comfortable acknowledging.

Frieren isn't particularly concerned that everyone in the city could be killed, thinking only that she can escape in the chaos. Even without her staff, I'm sure she's powerful enough to blast her way to freedom. Back when they fought the shapeshifting demon, she was perfectly content leaving it to prey on innocent travelers until Fern rebuked her.

To both Frieren and the demons ( as far as we've been shown ) short-lived lives simply don't matter. The only difference between them is that Frieren's biology doesn't require her to prey on sentients.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

A Present for a Warrior

Being Fern is suffering.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

New chapter: Grandfather Voll

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I believe it's established that that dumb face is Frieren rolling a 1 on her Deceive roll.

From the Fern's birthday chapter:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Chap 61

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I am entirely confident that Elves created the demons a very long time to fight their wars, and lost control of them.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

He will learn guilt after he kills Denken, and you know it.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think I get it now. He didn't feel malice because he thinks of the city and its citizens as frozen in stasis, and not really dead. At some subconscious level, he believes he could restore them at any time. When the upcoming battle with Frieren starts to destroy the city...

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Somewhere nearby, a bard plucks a few chords to warm his fingers, and clears his throat. "Alright good fellows, this next tune? It's called Rip and Tear."

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think a swap would be a great way to showcase how far Frieren has come. I wonder if Fern would be to solo a belligerent 80-years younger Frieren.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Learning that the Demon King had been a persistent threat for centuries changes my interpretation of Himmel's meandering. Dude decided he was going to murder gravity, or the sun, something eternal and unchanging, so why not take a little extra time to smell the flowers? Also, Heltier's subdued despair makes his constant drunkenness look like more of a coping strategy. I'm enjoying seeing these characters fleshed out!

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

We've seen young looking demons a few times, like in Himmel's flashback, and the two henchies who served Lugner. There clearly seem to be *new* demons generated somehow, but they also don't have any understanding of the words Mother or Father, so they don't have family units.

My theory is that they're malignant pools of mana that spontaneously gain consciousness.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I want to see the adventures of past robot Frieren hanging out with Fern and Stark, stuck in a world where her apprentice can effortlessly stunt on her. Where is the old Frieren's consciousness, anyway?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I think Frieren's idyllic dream is going to include a lot of grimoires, which Mr. Demon is going to struggle to provide.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

She's the Military Industrialization Complex Elf.

She redirects resources from social services ( catching birds, making laundry smell nice ) to war.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

I'm going to vote for the comedy option, and predict that Kraft is Series' good-for-nothing son. She disowned him after he showed zero interest in magic.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

This artist does some dang cute Frieren animations.

https://youtu.be/yL39z_VnyPE?si=_8qgSESlFqoYCzto

https://youtu.be/7amZsHzyPRo?si=PBwRnrMDhueJua83

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

And there's a new one for the exam!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYsrECg5gzw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Wild speculation: we know Frieren lost to Macht several hundred years ago, so I wonder if she was working with the Holy Wands back then. She might have been the only survivor, and the Empire is still big mad about it.