Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Frieran says they don't have families but they do, objectively, have some kind of social structure, cause ya know, Demon King and 7 Dukes or whatever. The sealed demon also mentions killing Frieran would be in the King's honor, demonstrating some degree of loyalty even to a dead ruler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

new chapter and I've seen this setup happen before except it was some japanese kid with a bird in his eye.

BRITANNIAN, how DARE you

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Elves are lewd, ELVES ARE LEWD

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This series is the goofiest melancholy

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Demons are weird because a big thing was made in the Aura arc that they supposedly have no interpersonal relationships, don't really understand the concept even, and yet the first one we see, the sage, declares that he'll fight Frieran as REVENGE for the king's death.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've always hated apples on texture alone tbh

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's not a good chapter but Frieran's "oh well, my journey ends here..." panel is funny

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's a pride thing, and sort of makes sense: their society, insofar as they have one, is a fairly strict hierarchy based on how much juice you've got, so going full blast is procedure.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That sage guy they unfroze mentions acting to avenge the Demon King, and the sage Frieran killed in that town clearly had a sort of personality, a prideful one. Frieran mentions that pride is why they never consider manner suppression, since it defines their hierarchy. Even the existence of said hierarchy demands SOME kind of internality and social interaction, however limited.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That the Demon King taught her "convergent evolution" makes me REALLY want to see the Demon King. I... don't THINK this new guy is him? It's a bit weird because schlatt says Sage like he's pulling rank but Macht just calls Schlatt by name. Maybe he's the Demon Grand Vizier.

E: oh that's totally it, I just forgot they already explained that in the Hero of the South arc

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 30, 2022

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've enjoyed this arc a lot but seriously can we go back to the part where the demon king KNOWS WHAT CONVERGENT EVOLUTION IS?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yet another tantalizing Maou Fact here

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean to begin with the notion that he and Schlatt camped out in front of uh, the afterlife, is very weird. Or for that matter the idea of demons having kings or ranks at all.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's really funny to me that the entire OG party beats the two newbies

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lmao :fuckoff:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think it's worth noting his ?title? is "Remnant," which to me says he's totally from the future, after the DK and I would bet even the sage he works for are gone, but he's still following their orders

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

fizzy posted:

"Adolescent" 1000-year old elf.

She was immature enough to not realize she had a boyfriend!

Time is also clearly still a concept she struggles with.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't think it has to even be more complicated than "there's different kinds."

In fact, that'd even play into the whole natural selection thing they've already explicitly talked about: mimicry is selected for. With that in mind, a guy like Qual slots in perfectly as a BASAL HOLDOUT: he, as the Elder Sage of Corruption, is personally tough enough to still be hanging out, even if the entire rest of his branch of the demon clade might have eaten poo poo millenia ago.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think they MUST directly reproduce somehow, even if it's actually by budding or something weird like that. Soltaire says them looking like the other humanoid species is a result of evolution, which requires that there be generations of them somehow.

Of course it's always possible that it was something like, only the DK could make more demons or whatever, but I just don't think that's it (I certainly hope it isn't, it'd be less interesting to me).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just finished a big reread.

It really does flow together beautifully. Even the Macht arc has really nice pacing once you can sit with it, and there's lots of callbacks and tie-ins throughout.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/FRIEREN_PR/status/1675524044215705600?t=C9LxDqHe7wW7aN0FJ1VO2w&s=19

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 3, 2023

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

What's this about? Twitter is being a lovely website again.

Frieren kisses

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well yeah whenever shes not grimoire collecting or stuck in a mimic theres a faint doom 2016 bassline about her

She really doesn't like demons!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I enjoy Rivale and Tod showing yet more personality variance for the demon upper echelons, even if it's obviously all performative to an extent.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/the_freakin_yui/status/1724639403237327048?t=XnOTcB-_2-yAVRTdzRD8iQ&s=19

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I feel like, again, a lot of holes in our information on demonic personhood really hinge on us still needing to meet the king/get more scenes with Schlatt.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

They've always referred to The Empire in singular so it'd seem so, but then why would Denken need his first class license to go north, if the place you'd assume he works is even further north than his Midas'd hometown?

e: maybe it's an HRE/Byz thing where there's multiple empires but everyone only legally recognizes one apiece.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We've also got that one demon who wants to destroy the sun for some reason

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This manga will end with Ubel waving a baby at Land

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I think Kanne and Lawine's story will be about subtext

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Squidster posted:

I'm going to vote for the comedy option, and predict that Kraft is Series' good-for-nothing son. She disowned him after he showed zero interest in magic.

there's absolutely no way Kraft isn't the oldest of the bunch