Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks for making this thread, that's a really interesting manga (although as a native German speaker, the names certainly trip me up). It's a noticeably rare thing for a medieval-fantasy story to grapple with the passage of time and with historical change; the only stories of that type I can think of that takes Elves' huge lifespan seriously are Tolkien's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Brought To You By posted:

There's a lot more care and effort in getting things to this point by abusing the whole concepts of diplomacy and civility.

That could actually be an interesting concept, but tying it to biological characteristics of a race of sentient beings is frankly horrible and I really hope there'll be some sort of twist to it. As it stands, the demons apparently also use language to communicate with each other, and they have clothing and architecture and everything, so they're obviously not just going through the motions when humans are around; but in my opinion that just makes it worse, since it means they're for all intents and purposes a humanoid race which is inherently evil and manipulative. Not that that's a rare thing in fantasy stories, but this particular portrayal veers dangerously close to antisemitic concepts. That's probably not even intentional (it can easily be read as exploring another aspect of the dissonance between various sentient species with wildly different life cycles), but it might certainly end up carrying some dangerous implications.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

But at least this confirms that the demons aren't biological entities, they're some type of mana spirit thing. That explains a lot.

Doesn't really make it any better, though. Honestly, by this point it seems to me like the best we can hope for is that they'll get more and more cartoonishly evil, maybe then the parallels to real-world attitudes about malicious Others who merely look and act human won't feel quite so blatant anymore.