Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

HenryEx posted:

Where does this weird trend of misspelling her name as Frieran even come from

The thread title and the OP maybe?
Everyone in this manga is named after a German word which fits their character. It's really on the nose actually. The award tank is called Eisen, (Iron), the axe swinging warrior is called Strong the cold elf is called Frieren I.e. freezing.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

Frieran will be okay as the pile of snow she collapses in will turn out to be a mimic.

Why are you all calling her Frieran? Is it just because the thread OP did it wrong? Literally every person and place has a super on the nose name in German.
Her name is Frieren. Which means freezing. So RIP her.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 22, 2020

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
How old is Fern in relation to the hero Himmels passing? I don't really remember.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Huh,
I guess I remembered that quite wrong.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

Well the very suspicious new mage's name apparently translates to Evil so I'm not expecting much from her characterization.

Eh, It's not exactly evil. Usually that word get's used to express maliciousness, unease or nauseous. I guess the literal translation of Übel is evil, but if I would translate an English text into German, I'd chose the word Böse.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

If getting mimicked is just unpleasant, not dangerous, she's not even wrong to keep trying for it.

Maybe, without help it just takes a few days for the mimic to bore itself and do something else.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ryde posted:

It should have exactly that name, too.

They cut, they clone! Cut cut cut! Clone clone clone! it's the cut girl and clone guy show!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ethiser posted:

Except the one mage who is a dangerous sociopath.

Frieren may be incredibly powerful and a bit weird, but she got her heart in the right place.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

A spell to debone meat would be amazing. Imagine how much easier frying fish would be.

Turns out the creator of that spell doesn't consider fish meat.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
They haven't had an extensive fishing sidequest yet, right? Actually, it will be part of the main quest, since you need a scale of the Jahrtausend Stör to open the final door.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Stark pointing out the important issues.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

tsob posted:

So it's an aimless journey? Got it.

Fake edit: Also, imagine the useless grimoire Himmel's ghost is going to give them as the quest reward.

A grimoire that erases all knowledge about useless spells. On the one hand it's the antithesis of everything Frieren stands for. On the other hand, it's a super rare and kinda useless spell. The last few chapters are dedicated to the question if she should use it. Eventually she realizes that she can just learn the spell without using it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

where it belongs

Yeah, this story is not about thrilling action sequences. I wonder how the eventual anime adaption will handle it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
My favorite chapter so far was probably the one where it turns out that no Himmel was not some predestined hero who pulled the divine sword of fate or whatever.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I wasn't really feeling this storyline. But that guy turned it around for me. He really leveraged that chance to a final smoke.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Diamonds are notoriously brittle. Never heard the expression "Shattered like a diamond"?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Rody One Half posted:

Or for that matter the idea of demons having kings or ranks at all.

I don't know about that one. They do seem rather hierarchical based on their mana levels, to the point where they could not fathom the idea of hiding that. He was probably King in the sense that he could defeat most of them on his own and they respected his superiority.

I doubt he got that title hereditary. Although that would be an interesting twist.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Just make it a 1 fps slideshot. Except when fern does Frierens hair. Then they suddenly animate every single silky smooth hair.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Jerkface posted:

It works both ways because a remnant could be a remnant of the demon king's army (which implies he is from the future) or a remnant of the past (implying he is from the past ) - its a fun name and I assume we will get an answer in the next chapter or 2 either way

The fact that the hero party never encountered him originally makes it seem like he is from the future

I think they did. Right there. Frieren just doesn't remember this little adventure, because past Frieren wasn't really conscious on the first run.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
A singular egg for 1kg of meat? Madness!
But I do love how she served a single bread roll for the table with that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

What's this about? Twitter is being a lovely website again.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Just based on the name, Tod is definitely the one I'd be most wary off here.

The weirdest name of those is actually Solitär. It can mean something like "alone" or "unsocial" or "hermity", but it's not really a commonly used word in the German language and mostly just French. If you use that in a sentence, it usually refers to the card game Solitaire.
But Rivale is also a bit weird. The rival of whom? Is that guy doomed to seek out opponents until he can finally have some codependent frenemy relationship?

But yeah, Tod is straightforward and no nonsense. You meet her. -> You are dead.
Of course there are more longwinded ways to say this. Calling her "Lebensende" (End of Life) sounds more poetic, but actually less intimidating.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Considering solitaire is on every single windows pc for decades, I'd argue it's a bit more common than the board game.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
A quick google search yields that by 2020 according to Microsoft, there were globally "35 million active monthly player and more than 100 million games played daily."
Unless Germany happens to be a massive outlier, or all the solitaire players are clumped together in some other place, we can assume that those numbers are roughly representative of an average German too (I'd actually expect they are quite a bit higher than that, because the average German is more likely to be bored in an office than the average Indian person.) Germany is roughly 1% of the global population so we get a million daily games around here. That's one for every 80 people.
And while I obviously have no data on the amount of time someone plays the board game, I don't think it's quite as often. Plus, there are people who play Solitaire with an actual card deck, which may well be comparable the board game.

Does that suffice for the Fermi question? Did I pass the application for the job, or do I need to go through another interview?

Sorry for this silly derail. :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
How many years ago was that in total? If I am not mistaken, Tod should soon meet her deadline. :v:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think you're assuming that Himmel's 10 year journey was basically over after that point. We know that they did countless postgame quests on the journey back, so maybe it's a few years less than this.

On the other hand, if I had to pick any story were a 100 year apocalypse timer gets dropped, but it actually gets resolved a decade earlier, it would be this one. It would be a fun reversal if Frieren falls into a hectic panic as she finds out there's only 10 years left.
It's her equivalent of cutting the red cable of the time bomb to defuse it just as it hits 2 seconds.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 6, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Not just her village. The Demon King put out the order against all elves.

To be fair, the demon king probably just wanted to prevent persons like Frieren and Flamme from rising up and being a problem. There was probably a prophecy or something like that. So in essence, all this suffering is Frieren's fault.
Like the story in the bible where Jesus caused the death of countless children.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 8, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Mordja posted:

I'm just glad my man Denken ranked top 10, I legit figured he was more of a darling with the western audience than anything else.

He's in front center, where he belongs.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

VideoWitch posted:

Nah you're mixing it up with a different manga, they pretty definitely killed the Demon Lord

We still haven't really seen any actual verification of that.
I really want to know what exactly happened there. I presume they didn't just enter the castle, put a sword in his heart and leave without exchanging words.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

A good question is "why did they think they could pass?" Is it not common knowledge that people die fairly often? Does the organization purposely encourage people who can't possibly pass to come and die there? Are they too stupid to live? Is Serie just not very good at writing invitations?

Passing one out of three test on your first try aint bad.

I don't actually remember what happened to those girls after the point where the anime is right now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

tbp posted:

No! There was that one in the flashback which wasn't and Frie looked like a smug rear end in a top hat when she got the rare grimoire

I forgot about that. But wasn't that a mimic which just continued to act like a chest because it knew they would kill it otherwise?
Chests don't exists. There are only mimics. Some of them are asleep. It makes sense, we haven't ever seen anyone make a chest after all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Other Demons: So... Tot....like... are you talking about cursing the Earth or the Sun? There is a bit of confusion about this and it's pretty important....

"I hate how confusing that distinction is. The curse makes them the same thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Fourth option: He'll act super suspicious and everyone will suspect him, but that's actually false.