Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Brought To You By posted:

I enjoy the fact that magic defense had to evolve to overcome literal soul destruction but now it's common sense in the present times.

That was a fun development. Of course when magic that overpowered was deployed everyone would start researching how to do it and how to defend against it.

Frieran has to be super lazy in using her magic too right? Based on the vibe of the series I don't feel like the demon king was insanely powerful in typical fantasy terms, but we're also looking at Frieran with that same 80 years of training time after saving the world. It's cliche and all, but I'd welcome an issue or arc that shows her really cutting loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I got to dive back into this manga after not reading it for awhile, and it was a real treat! I'm looking forward to seeing the full-time party get established, and I'm glad that they still have a looong way to go to the obvious ending point of the manga. Even once they get there and resolve whatever clearly messed-up situation may lie there, I see plenty of potential in continuing Frieran's story another 100 years or so past where the manga is now. It'd be pretty compelling to see her take on a new adventure with new pals, after we have seen her lose the people that we've also had a long time to really get to know and like.

I mean, imagine how much cooler this already cool story would've been if it'd been preceded by us seeing 100+ chapters of Frieran's adventure with the hero. I'm not expecting the manga to go on and do multiple sets of adventures, but it'd be neat to see it. I'm positive that we'll at least get an epilogue checking in on her after a long timeskip, or the sad ending where she saves the world but dies in the process.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Probably for the best that Ubel didn't get the exam before Fern.

Given her track record... things may have gone badly for everyone.

Since Ubel's got that sick visualization ability, and has gotten more pages/backstory than the other people in the trials, I think she's definitely a contender to also pass the test. Denken's probably going to squeak past somehow too, which I think would be a nice acknowledgement that when it comes to magic putting in the time can be a big factor. A big part of what makes Frieran so ridiculous is that she's had hundreds of years to practice her stuff, after all.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I like this El Dorado arc. It's letting us see some old characters again doing some fun stuff, and it's building up an interesting antagonist with a nice complicated backstory.

I don't think it'll top the tournament arc (I always love tournaments), but I think it's the coolest thing we've seen since then.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It seems clear that one way or another that El Dorado magic's getting undone, so I guess we'll see if everyone who got turned to gold is alive after all when that happens.

Macht's definitely got something weird going on, and I buy his story about being a pacifist. Demons have been lying to help get what they want, but with his insanely broken magic he could have beaten everyone by now, especially with a surprise attack. And I don't buy that the bracelet is interpreting that "serve" command to the point that it'd actually let Denken prevent him from attacking people if he wanted to. Maybe Denken's got diplomatic immunity at most.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I imagine she didn't get a full mental download that quickly, and with a demon's mind being really hard to scan. Definitely picked up some good intel from it though.

I like the theory of there being something, whether it's a powerful physical entity, an object, or any number of other potential things, being sealed away and Macht being cool with playing along with a human for a bit to make sure that got done because whatever it is, it's a major threat to demons. Or if Macht really is a pacifist as he claims (or as close as a demon can get to being a pacifist), maybe it was something or someone that would tip the war too heavily in either sides favor (humanity's or demons), so he hid that behind a big thick wall of solid gold.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I wonder how many party members Frieren will outlive in the process of defeating Macht.

Coming up with a plan to take out Macht that would work but take 1,000 years or whatever would weirdly work for me. Build up all this backstory to this character, then just kind of move on along and have an epilogue at the end of the manga that's Frieran coming back and owning Macht with whatever that plan that needed loads of prep time is.

I'd like how unsatisfying and unexpected that would be, though I'm sure I'm in the minority there.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wouldn't that be just a variation of the way she defeated that Demon Sage who developed Killing Magic?

It'd be similar yeah, just over a longer timespan and presumably with more moving parts then "Well we just studied your magic over time, made it our standard offensive magic, and developed countermeasures against it."

There's no way that's actually how this will end up shaking out, I'm just a weirdo who thinks a sudden anticlimax of "well we've got an idea but it won't work for forever, sorry about your hometown buddy." and our heroes walking away to continue on their adventure would be oddly suitable to the vibe of this manga and interesting enough to me in its utter subversion of what's expected to offset the frustration I'd feel at Macht not being settled/beaten as part of the story arc, or possible even ever beaten during the manga's run.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I think we're bound to see a "too dumb to realize that magic/the world doesn't work that way" mage somewhere down the line doing some ridiculous manifestations of their dumb beliefs. That seems like a fun character to have in the mix and to see fighting a bit.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

This was a fun little arc with all kinds of seeds planted for things that can come up in the present story, or for when we see more of the original party's adventures. I would've preferred Frieren at least giving Himmel an illusion smooch or even a fresh out of illusion smooch but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Donkringel posted:

On a side note, I think Aura is the only demon that has developed the quirk of sadness/sorrow. Of course this sadness is at her own unexpected death, but I don't think I have seen any other demons cry when they die. It is always "Huh, welp that's it. Cya!"

I feel like a strong sense of ego and self-interest has been present as a general trait amongst demons and doesn't seem like they're faking that emotion to fool humans or anything. In general they're emotionally stunted compared to humans, but I certainly wouldn't think that they're free of all emotion.

So I don't think it's out of place for a powerful demon who is being killed by their personal magic (and magic is something we know for drat sure demons take great pride in and have a lot of interest in) while simultaneously realizing that they got beat by someone much stronger than them to be crying. It's a double whammy of having their own magic work against them and being confronted with a superior magical force when they've been confident in their magic power all their life. If you think that being killed like that would be more impactful to them because they've seen it happen to others and caused it so many times, it'd then become a triple whammy.

I'll also make a bold prediction (in my mind it's bold at least) that despite elves generally not being interested in physical romance, Himmel and Frieren had sex (probably only once) after they defeated the Demon King. While Himmel shows more signs of attraction towards Frieren than vice versa in all the flashbacks, we see plenty of evidence that she has romantic feelings towards Himmel in her present mindset (thinking fondly about when he basically full on proposed marriage to her with a ring and being fully swept up into a combined illusory/mental world with Himmel that's explicitly based on the desires of those affected by the magic).

I think that it's unlikely that in all the joy they felt in the short-term aftermath of beating the Demon King and the longer-term aftermath of them getting back to civilization and being celebrated as heroes that it didn't happen one time. I think Himmel then had his heart broken by Frieren having a cold response after it (and not wanting to settle down into a life with him) and that the tension it caused was a big reason she basically never went back to visit with him. Put through that lens, Frieren's desire in that mental/illusion world could be seen as her wishing that she had settled down with him and regretting just noping out to the nomadic wandering she'd been doing before Himmel met her.

Plus I think the fans of this manga are going to want to see Frieren meet Himmel's soul and for that to be as big and emotional as possible, and something along these lines seems like a good way to do that. I don't think you can really have Frieren travel for 10 years to meet him again and just have it be a casual conversation.

Anyway. despite all my thoughts above I mainly just wanted to post about how amusing it is that mimics in general are the third most popular character and how righteous the top 2 characters are in the rankings.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Sein coming back and joining Frieren still feels like it'll happen to me, especially now that there seems like big deal things that'll happen with whatever that demon has been cooking on for a long rear end time nearing completion. We also just saw a strong foe use magic that only a priest was able to resist make it out of there alive, so it seems like he may come back into the story in the present timeline and it'd be real handy to have a priest around when he does. I expect Macht and Denken will head down in the ratings and Sein will move up to 6+ if they do a poll after that happens.

I wouldn't be surprised if this flashback arc would put Heiter into the top 10 and Eisen to a higher spot than 17, which is way too low for that dude.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I''d be pretty down for Frieren deciding to hang out with ghost Himmel until she gets bored and saying goodbye to her party once she's able to do that. Then show us some nice epilogue of her party and Eisen living out the rest of their lives and maybe coming to hang out with her in basically heaven.

Then make the last few panels be her finally being convinced that she needs to head out of the afterlife (or just chilling with her soul pals as they manifest around her) and go back to living life, have her re-enter into a modern or futuristic world, and put up some text saying 10,000 years after the death of Himmel the Hero as she sets off for another journey, perhaps with some gray hair to have her finally showing some proper signs of aging.

I imagine the ending will be something better than that, but that seems satisfying enough and hard to mess up, if something like those broad strokes were to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm also definitely expecting a big fight with some kind of new Demon King/proto Demon King at the end of the journey.

And if they do a big time skip at or near the end of the manga, I'd also be fine with a montage of Frieren blowing up wannabe demon kings with increasingly flashy spells and different party members at basically the same location every 100 years-ish.