Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Just want to confirm:
People know Frieren as the mage from the heros party, But do they know she was Flammes apprentice, and is old as gently caress?

It appears that not everyone even realizes that she was the mage who was in the hero's party. Otherwise they would either be making GBS threads themselves, running away or attempting to gang up on her. The old guy absolutely twigged that she's that Frieren, but even he has no idea about her true age and power..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
This series is goddamn incredible.

Fern just letting Wirbel drag Stark off was ice cold.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
New chapter is up.

https://reader.kireicake.com/read/frieren_at_the_funeral/en/0/49/page/1

Denken's team is fuuuuuucked.

Warden fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 11, 2021

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

amigolupus posted:

Didn't Frieren mention before the test started that even someone like her could be bested by other mages? Maybe someone in Denken's party knows a spell that can defeat the clone but needs help from the others to set it up.

I think I recall Frieren giving Fern a lecture at some point about never getting complacent and telling Fern the exact number of mages who she recognized as having been superior to her.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
To be fair, if I had spent most of my life around Frieran I too would have formulated multiple detailed plans of killing her out of sheer exasperation.

Also, Frieran's expression makes me think doing so as hypotheticals to spend time seems to be expected.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm worried about Frierans old partners.

Turns out they had advance knowledge of the dungeon and are just fine, thanks to the mystical powers of being well-connected.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Been musing this for a while, but who do you think is the worst person among the mages involved in this exam?

Genau set up an exam that not only exposed the aspirants to mortal danger but encouraged them to kill each other. Sense's exam is downright merciful compared to that, with mages having an escape route in the form of the golems in bottles.

Ubel's an unrepentant murderer, but at least some of her killing was done ostensibly in the name of self-defense and we don't know the details of why she killed the proctor of the previous exam. There must have been mitigating circumstances for them to let her walk away and take the exam again.

It's explicitly stated that Denken has done a lot of bad poo poo in political power struggles, though he acts more grandfatherly now.

Richter was willing to murder a girl or two just make sure Frieran's team failed the first exam.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Let's see if parse this correctly...

After causing the clone to lose track of Fern, Frieren purposefully put herself in a position where the clone saw an opening, which then rushed in with spell charging, and was then destroyed by Fern, but if Fern had messed up, then the clone would have fired a point-blank spell at "vulnerable" Frieren?

That displays a lot of trust and very good teamwork. No wonder though, seeing how long they've been together.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
And a new chapter is live.

chapter 55

That ending had me in stiches.

Edit. Link fixed.

Warden fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 23, 2021

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Sindai posted:

The link takes me to 54 and (bizarrely, since it's exactly the same site) I can't see 55 from there. This one works: https://reader.kireicake.com/read/frieren_at_the_funeral/en/0/55/page/1

Thanks for the heads up, I fixed the link.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Brought To You By posted:

Did Denken adopt that one chick or what?

We know that Denken was married once, and his wife is dead, but no word about any children or grandchildren. He's been treating Laufen as surrogate granddaughter ever since the first exam, and she's apparently fine with it, since it mostly takes the form of him doting on her. Also, Denken agreed with Richter that he might well be dead next time the exam is held, so maybe Laufen is just humoring him.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
So, Serie was looking for mages who kept their cool, and were not overwhelmed by her power, and could think calmly while facing her. She also seems to appreciate temerity and guts.

Fern kept analyzing Serie's mana and spotted the instability, which demonstrated her talent, skill and coolly calculating nature.
Denken, once he got the impression that Serie was going to fail him, started running through scenarios of fighting her in his mind, before arriving at the conclusion that he'd ultimately lose.
Wirbel probably instinctively tries to figure out how to defeat anyone he comes accross. Faced with Serie's power, he calmly assessed the situation, and came to the conclusion that fighting her alone was something he couldn't do here and now, but it was a rational judgement, not one based on fear. He gave the impression that would be willing to fight her if situation was more in his favour. Also, his philosophy that magic has purely utilitarian value seemed to match Serie's.
Methode wasn't intimidated, but instead thought that Serie was surprisingly cute.
Land tried to trick Serie and wasn't shaken when she saw through her tricks, impressing her with his moxie.
Ubel probably thought something like "Bitch, I'll cut you", and Serie figured she would do just that if given cause.

Warden fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 15, 2021

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Trivia: Of the teams established at the beginning of the first-class exam (way back in chapter 37), only Fern's party had all three members pass in the end.

Huh, I hadn't realized that. They got lucky with team compositions, in my opinion. If Fern had been saddled with Lavine and Kanne instead of Frieran, their team would have failed for sure.

On the other hand, team-up of Ubel, Frieren and Land would have annihilated any other team.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Fellis posted:

Goddamnit all these wholesome comics get to slavery sooner or later don’t they. And Frieren seems totally fine with it, welp I guess it’s time to put this one down.

I honestly can't tell whether or not you're being serious here.

I blame the internet.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hell yeah Denken
Oh no Denken :ohdear:

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Serie grinning: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

"Frieren will be on break for a month": Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Frieren at the Funeral - Nah.