Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

Silver2195 posted:

Also, prior to ESB, there was actually no indication that Jabba was an alien.

I think there was plenty indication.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1gkNd6Z_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019

Silver2195 posted:

A surprising amount has been written about this, e.g., http://jbr.me.uk/canon.html.

One of the most fun things to speculate about in this vein is the Clone Wars. Were they caused by a bunch of clones of an Emperor all claiming to be the real one, like the Time of Troubles in 17th-century Russia? Or did Obi-Wan Kenobi fight in them because he was a clone himself, who came out of Vat OB1?

Also, prior to ESB, there was actually no indication that Vader was human or that Jabba was an alien.

This is great, I particularly love the ideas Vader is an alien in an environmental suit and the Clone Wars might refer to some sort of imperial succession crisis with cloned Emperors.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Taschen's Star Wars Archives book has an anecdote from someone who worked on the movie claiming the scene was cut because the actor they hired wasn't very good, even after reshooting the scene a couple of times. The alien Jabba may have just been devised to try to cover up his performance. The only draft of the script that mentions Jabba as specifically nonhuman was published in 1979, and it just has his mention as a "slug-like creature" tacked-on to the end of his description from earlier drafts. Han even calls him a human being in dialogue, which had to be recontextualized into an insult about humans themselves.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

STOP BEING EVIL.

It seems to me more like "this scene with Jabba was written and filmed but after it was cut from the movie the later movie didn't take it into consideration at all and designed a totally different Jabba from scratch". Maybe a novelization stuck it back in, the novelizations did a lot of weird stuff.

Like it's a cool thing that they could take the deleted scene and CGI it into fitting back into the rest of the canon, but even without the visual quality issues, Jabba's nothing like he was in the other movie. Deleted scene Jabba has a whole nice guy routine where he's paternalistic towards his victims and weirdly micromanages his subordinates. RotJ Jabba is a disgusting hedonist who openly murders peoples at parties and doesn't really seem inclined or even able to extract himself from his den of cronies to go make veiled threats in person.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also in the deleted scene he's not horny even once

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Silver2195 posted:

A surprising amount has been written about this, e.g., http://jbr.me.uk/canon.html.

One of the most fun things to speculate about in this vein is the Clone Wars. Were they caused by a bunch of clones of an Emperor all claiming to be the real one, like the Time of Troubles in 17th-century Russia? Or did Obi-Wan Kenobi fight in them because he was a clone himself, who came out of Vat OB1?

Also, prior to ESB, there was actually no indication that Vader was human or that Jabba was an alien.

As a kid I read the novelisations (and/or comics) and they'd write R2D2 and C3PO as like: Artoo and Threepio, so I eventually started wondering if Obi-Wan was OB1?!... Old Ben #1

Which falls apart pretty quickly if you think about it, but I was pretty sure I was onto something

Barudak
May 7, 2007

OB1 being a clone name was a pretty popular fan theory, you weren't alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

One Potato to rule them all,
One Potato to find them,
One Potato to bring them all
And in the darkness bind them.

Bread Liar

I can't remember if it was this thread where someone brought up the star destroyer so large that it launches regular sized star destroyers and is also a death star and was looking for an image of it. But I found one on Pinterest.

Pinterest is a hole I can lose myself in for an embarrassingly long time just looking at ridiculous nerd poo poo. I just wish it was easier to curate what it shows you, because looking at pictures of Mandalorians should not mean I really need to see pictures of female Japanese volleyball players' feet.

EDIT: but I would like to congratulate the All-Japan women's volleyball team for now being ranked sixth in the world by the FIVB. It looked like a hard few years.

Certainly sweaty.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 17, 2021