Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
OMG:

quote:

In the Star Trek: Strange New Worlds short story Research, Berlinghoff had the foresight to hide blueprints for the time-travel pod prior to his journey, and was able to retrieve them and successfully rebuild it. He then traveled back to the late-20th century, to the home of his ancestor, J. R. Rasmussen. Together, they travel back to 1964, where they relay information about the future to a television writer named Gene Roddenberry. Rasmussen died sometime before 1999 in an auto accident, while driving to an appointment with producers at Paramount Pictures.

jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You got to fix the paradox somehow, the space shuttle Enterprise somehow exists in the history of the Star Trek universe.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Defiance Industries posted:

You got to fix the paradox somehow, the space shuttle Enterprise somehow exists in the history of the Star Trek universe.

"Enterprise" had a long history as a ship name for centuries before either the American space program or the Star Trek series began, though.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Groke posted:

"Enterprise" had a long history as a ship name for centuries before either the American space program or the Star Trek series began, though.

If it wasn't for Star Trek, the shuttle would be named Constitution, not Enterprise. It was a concerted letter-writing campaign to Ford that got it named Enterprise.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

If it wasn't for Star Trek, the shuttle would be named Constitution, not Enterprise. It was a concerted letter-writing campaign to Ford that got it named Enterprise.

Yeah okay. Maybe one of the later shuttles would be an Enterprise? It's been one of the US' favourite ship names for a long time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

In TOS by 1992 we were wrapping up a nuclear war about geneticly engineered supermen; "just kind of liked Enterprise more that Constitution" is much less of a shift.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Mar 23, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Splicer posted:

In TOS by 1992 we were wrapping up a nuclear war about geneticly engineered supermen; "just kind of liked Enterprise more that Constitution" is much less of a shift.

No, they included the nuclear war with the augments in Star Trek. They even made a movie referencing it.

It's actually kind of nice, since most TV and movies about that era just kind of gloss over it in favor of focusing on more minor things like Boutros Boutros-Ghali becoming Secretary General, Rudolph A. Marcus's Nobel Prize, or the fall of the Soviet Union.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Fellas I'm starting to think this Star Trek thing might not be historically accurate.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I think the Eugenics Wars were retconned as happening in the 21st century rather than the 20th.

Really, they were absurd even at the time TOS was made; as Justin B Rye pointed out, if the Eugenics Wars happened in the 1990s, then Khan must have been born in a 1950s genetics lab!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

General Battuta posted:

The X-wing game faced a bunch of different balance challenges over its first edition,

My story of Xwing is that there was one person who made it his goal to deny any special limited edition models from being won by anyone besides him. Official tournaments would give the winner a ship that you could not get anywhere else besides buying it from winners directly or from ebay. Like one year the ship was the Death Star.

Dude would travel all over Northern Virginia, Maryland, and DC to every event making sure he would always win those ships.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

EVIL Gibson posted:

My story of Xwing is that there was one person who made it his goal to deny any special limited edition models from being won by anyone besides him. Official tournaments would give the winner a ship that you could not get anywhere else besides buying it from winners directly or from ebay. Like one year the ship was the Death Star.

Dude would travel all over Northern Virginia, Maryland, and DC to every event making sure he would always win those ships.

Are you thinking of Star Trek Attack Wing? X-wing didn't have any exclusive ships until 2019 and even then they were only different paint jobs of existing ships. And they were for sale at specific conventions (and once as a prize at the world championships, which have never been in the DMV area). There has never been a death star unit in any version of x-wing.

Napoleon Nelson fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 1, 2023

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Napoleon Nelson posted:

Are you thinking of Star Trek Attack Wing? X-wing didn't have any exclusive ships until 2019 and even then they were only different paint jobs of existing ships. And they were for sale at specific conventions (and once as a prize at the world championships, which have never been in the DMV area). There has never been a death star unit in any version of x-wing.

Must of been. Pretty bad they lost that brand image huh. To a passer-by it looks the same

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
My partner and I are groaning our way through season 3 of Star Trek discovery. We are eagerly awaiting to see how detached nacelles make it “more maneuverable.” A ship that has an experimental spore drive that was never reproduced and unknown to future Federation.

Spins up and the wheels fall off

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

HAmbONE posted:

My partner and I are groaning our way through season 3 of Star Trek discovery. We are eagerly awaiting to see how detached nacelles make it “more maneuverable.” A ship that has an experimental spore drive that was never reproduced and unknown to future Federation.

Spins up and the wheels fall off

Maybe the show ends with the discovery and its spore drive being destroyed in a cataclysmic warp disaster that seals off any easy access to mirror universes?

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Maybe the show ends with the discovery and its spore drive being destroyed in a cataclysmic warp disaster that seals off any easy access to mirror universes?

We can only hope. This show inspired me to make my own Star Trek with an experimental plot hole drive.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

HAmbONE posted:

We can only hope. This show inspired me to make my own Star Trek with an experimental plot hole drive.

There needs to be more creative warp tech.

Sword of the Stars has multiple races and each one has a unique FTL drive mechanic with my favorite being the Morrigi.

Their Voidcutter ship is the only type of ship that can warp. It uses an ungodly amount of energy to both continue cutting and pushing itself along.

The cool part is more ships can join in the FTL, including non-voidcutters, and the more ships join the less energy the FTL takes as they form a large V to distribute the energy more efficiently.

And if that doesn't make it obvious, the Morrigi are an avian race.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

EVIL Gibson posted:

Sword of the Stars has multiple races and each one has a unique FTL drive mechanic with my favorite being the Morrigi.

Their Voidcutter ship is the only type of ship that can warp. It uses an ungodly amount of energy to both continue cutting and pushing itself along.

The cool part is more ships can join in the FTL, including non-voidcutters, and the more ships join the less energy the FTL takes as they form a large V to distribute the energy more efficiently.

They are from the expansion "a murder of crows"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

EVIL Gibson posted:

You've mixed up a couple of races. All the Morrigi ships have an FTL drive that technobabble technobabble gravimetric technobabble which also creates a gravity "bow wave" in spacetime behind the ship. Adding more ships to the fleet allows them to take advantage of the bow wave and speed up the fleet as a whole. So more ships = more fast. They also have a ship type that's just a huge gravity generator with an engine attached that boosts speed even farther and slows down other ships in tactical combat.

The Humans don't have any kind of ftl drive, they have very fast but still slower than light ships that can jump into the naturally occurring hyperlane network. This makes them very fast but sometimes there's no appropriate hyperlanes and they need to take the long way around or slowboat in realspace.

Then there's the Zuul. The Zuul also use node space, but they do it using their one kind of FTL ship, the Rip Bore. It rips new temporary nodelines in space and then the rest of their non-ftl ships can fly after them. Rip Bores are mad expensive and prime sniping targets, but also the Rip Bores can use their engine in combat to send entire ships to the shadow realm nodespace.

Also there's the Hivers (stargates shaped like bugs), the Liir (lots of tiny teleports meaning they can spin on a dime but are slower near stars, are space dolphins) and the really boring lizards (it's just a warp drive)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Splicer posted:

You've mixed up a couple of races. All the Morrigi ships have an FTL drive that technobabble technobabble gravimetric technobabble which also creates a gravity "bow wave" in spacetime behind the ship. Adding more ships to the fleet allows them to take advantage of the bow wave and speed up the fleet as a whole. So more ships = more fast. They also have a ship type that's just a huge gravity generator with an engine attached that boosts speed even farther and slows down other ships in tactical combat.

The Humans don't have any kind of ftl drive, they have very fast but still slower than light ships that can jump into the naturally occurring hyperlane network. This makes them very fast but sometimes there's no appropriate hyperlanes and they need to take the long way around or slowboat in realspace.

Then there's the Zuul. The Zuul also use node space, but they do it using their one kind of FTL ship, the Rip Bore. It rips new temporary nodelines in space and then the rest of their non-ftl ships can fly after them. Rip Bores are mad expensive and prime sniping targets, but also the Rip Bores can use their engine in combat to send entire ships to the shadow realm nodespace.

Also there's the Hivers (stargates shaped like bugs), the Liir (lots of tiny teleports meaning they can spin on a dime but are slower near stars, are space dolphins) and the really boring lizards (it's just a warp drive)

Hivers are so slow because you have to sublight to other stars but once you are there you have an instant link to your homeworld forces.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

pixaal posted:

Hivers are so slow because you have to sublight to other stars but once you are there you have an instant link to your homeworld forces.
Hivers are my favourite MY QUEEEEEEN

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Splicer posted:

Hivers are my favourite MY QUEEEEEEN

:same:

Really wish SOTS2 had been good and not studio-destroyingly bad. I think SOTS1 has a lot of rough edges that could have been worked on and improved (the tech tree is like 80% combat stuff, just in general the civil stuff was really neglected compared to the military stuff even though they have a great setting for it), and it seems incredibly unlikely that anybody could revive the IP given what went down with it.

Shittiest Tech candidate: SOTS2

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Not like you couldn't make your own universe with similar differences in ftl tech. There's not much lore other than the pages and pages of fanfic that one dev posted on the forums about the dolphins with the micro telepoet stutter drive thing.

Is fanfic the correct word when it's a dev posting noncanon?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

pixaal posted:

Not like you couldn't make your own universe with similar differences in ftl tech. There's not much lore other than the pages and pages of fanfic that one dev posted on the forums about the dolphins with the micro telepoet stutter drive thing.

Is fanfic the correct word when it's a dev posting noncanon?

Maybe I was projecting a lot but I got a lot more out of in particular the Hivers than that. A lot of it just felt like efficient, effective storytelling, a lot conveyed through a few voice lines and small still images.

And plus its much harder to get any traction with a totally new IP than with one that has people who are still talking about the game 17 years later.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Star Citizen

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
My Teacher Is An Alien has a massive spaceship that's called the New Jersey by humans because it's literally the size of said city, and it's apparently the smallest of the fleet. It's apparently said that their FTL technology requires ships of at least that size to have enough gravitational pull, and they end up building a ton of room and facilities for an entire city's worth of passengers of all kinds of species and cultures to live comfortably just to fill out the space.

I had the idea of FTL travel that's effectively magical, and relies on basically convincing the eldritch entities of unfathomable scale and power that semi-exist in the void between the stars to give you a quick ride. Almost but not quite the same thing as 40k Warp travel, which of course is its own thing of taking shortcuts through Hell.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
New Jersey isn't a city.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

New Jersey isn't a city.

Look it's fine to call it that. You don't want to hurt it's feelings. :(

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

New Jersey isn't a city.

It's the New Jersey City

:colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually comes to mind the GotG method of FTL is interesting, basically using a galactic portal network to go through random places til you finally arrive at your destination, and where reality starts falling apart around you if you go too fast.

And given the kitchen-sink nature of the setting, of course it's just one of multiple methods of FTL that different entities and factions use, probably all having their own upsides, downsides and quirks.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tulip posted:

Maybe I was projecting a lot but I got a lot more out of in particular the Hivers than that. A lot of it just felt like efficient, effective storytelling, a lot conveyed through a few voice lines and small still images.

And plus its much harder to get any traction with a totally new IP than with one that has people who are still talking about the game 17 years later.
The in-game lore was sparse but good. But also the ship design was soooooo good at conveying the feel of a faction. The morrigi ships (my second favourites) didn't just have the flock drives, they also had strike craft on all their ships and the capital ships were /tall/, because birds, and pointy, which fit their whole "aerodynamic but space" drive deal). The hover ships are big chunky tanks while the gates have these delicate gossamer wings that scream "protect this". The dolphins use the mini teleport drive because their ships are too full of water for reaction drives to work, so their ships look like fragile fishtanks and maneuver like an agile fish in water. And have the best bioweapons that look like fishtanks full of poison. The zuul ships look ugly and brutal and are so covered in guns that encountering them in a game unlocks a new hull type, they look like something driven by creatures who destroy planets just by existing on them and travel by wounding space. And since the whole game is an excuse to build cool ships and smash them into each other you're constantly looking at all this visual storytelling.

It would be very very hard to recreate all of that in an entirely new IP.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 30, 2023

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah there's just such care put into so much of that game. Dang I should play SOTS again.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I imagine it must be also pretty demoralising for a developer to have to start over again with an IP because they had the rights to their creations taken away from them. Reminds me of when the Sonic comics writers basically had to do that two or three times because of legal fuckery and Archie's bullshit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually comes to mind the GotG method of FTL is interesting, basically using a galactic portal network to go through random places til you finally arrive at your destination, and where reality starts falling apart around you if you go too fast.

And given the kitchen-sink nature of the setting, of course it's just one of multiple methods of FTL that different entities and factions use, probably all having their own upsides, downsides and quirks.

Cowboy Bebop has something similar and one of the few interesting pieces of worldbuilding in that show is the implication that the localized solar system fast-travel gates work but when they activated they hosed up Earth so badly that it's seen as a bit of a backwater.

Wonder what the origin points for that convention are.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mind the walrus posted:

Cowboy Bebop has something similar and one of the few interesting pieces of worldbuilding in that show is the implication that the localized solar system fast-travel gates work but when they activated they hosed up Earth so badly that it's seen as a bit of a backwater.

Wonder what the origin points for that convention are.

Blew up the moon, if I remember correctly. Impact of debris all but obliterated civilization on Earth. I never really thought of Cowboy Bebop as a post-apocalyptic setting before, but in a very big way it would count.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Arc Light posted:

It's the New Jersey City

:colbert:

It's actually New Jersey's Monster

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's actually the USS New Jersey

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Blew up the moon, if I remember correctly. Impact of debris all but obliterated civilization on Earth. I never really thought of Cowboy Bebop as a post-apocalyptic setting before, but in a very big way it would count.

It's more post-post-apocalyptic as civilization has pretty much reformed around a terraformed Mars, but it does explain a lot about the frontier feel of the setting and relative lawlessness, as what would be the base of a centralised civilization is a turbofucked environmental catastrophe.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Tulip posted:

Yeah there's just such care put into so much of that game. Dang I should play SOTS again.

I mainly remember the research failure pictures being hilarious, especially when you get a picture of a scientist exploding when researching an ALIEN LANGUAGE :D. Also pretty funny the Zuul one had a picture of a Zuul throwing up the horns as fire blazed behind them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MadDogMike posted:

I mainly remember the research failure pictures being hilarious, especially when you get a picture of a scientist exploding when researching an ALIEN LANGUAGE :D. Also pretty funny the Zuul one had a picture of a Zuul throwing up the horns as fire blazed behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

See? So much loving characterization.