Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I imagine it must be also pretty demoralising for a developer to have to start over again with an IP because they had the rights to their creations taken away from them. Reminds me of when the Sonic comics writers basically had to do that two or three times because of legal fuckery and Archie's bullshit.

The story behind the Sonic comics is much weirder than that. The most obvious incident is that Archie either never actually signed or just totally lost their contract with their lead writer, Ken Penders, which let him pull some legal nonsense to just walk away with legal ownership of all of the not-from-the-games characters he had invented over his tenure, including ones that were obvious derivatives of Sega stuff. For obvious reasons this led to Sega blacklisting Archie completely and the entire comic line starting again from scratch in 2018 with IDW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah but can you blame them? Everything I've ever seen about it is like a distilled example of why the Sonic franchise is a joke

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But does Sonic have sleeves?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah but can you blame them? Everything I've ever seen about it is like a distilled example of why the Sonic franchise is a joke

Fair, but Sonic's mirror universe counterpart being an insecure edgelord who literally makes himself into a recolour OC is hilarious.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fair, but Sonic's mirror universe counterpart being an insecure edgelord who literally makes himself into a recolour OC is hilarious.

It gets stupider: Ken Penders has made repeated attempts to license out the Scourge character for comics and whatever, and all of them failed because it turns out nobody's actually interested in paying for a series about a recolor Sonic OC with various recolor OC background characters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Roadie posted:

It gets stupider: Ken Penders has made repeated attempts to license out the Scourge character for comics and whatever, and all of them failed because it turns out nobody's actually interested in paying for a series about a recolor Sonic OC with various recolor OC background characters.

Also Penders didn't even create Scourge in any meaningful way besides the idea of 'evil mirror universe Sonic', and only won the lawsuit because iirc Sega literally didn't show up. I imagine any licensing deal at this point would probably have Sega actually pay attention now.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly the station in Solaris seems like it's a bit of a jank place to live. even without being constantly placed under mind games by the planet below.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also Penders didn't even create Scourge in any meaningful way besides the idea of 'evil mirror universe Sonic', and only won the lawsuit because iirc Sega literally didn't show up. I imagine any licensing deal at this point would probably have Sega actually pay attention now.

And even THEN when they rebooted it with IDW, they just made Surge the Tenrec, who's Scourge but a Girl, and also has her own Evil Tails.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wapole Languray posted:

And even THEN when they rebooted it with IDW, they just made Surge the Tenrec, who's Scourge but a Girl, and also has her own Evil Tails.

I wish global warming would come quicker so the Sonic knowledge iceberg would die along with facts such as these

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EVIL Gibson posted:

I wish global warming would come quicker so the Sonic knowledge iceberg would die along with facts such as these

Where do you think we are?

Wapole Languray posted:

Who are possibly thread examples as going with the long tradition of DBZ references in Sonic, they're basically Androids 17 and 18.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Phone watch. Dick Tracy WAY oversold the utility. I wonder if it tracked his sleep cycles too...

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

El Spamo posted:

I really do wonder what the average dude's knowledge of things is like in very late-series or a few years post-show SG-1. The writers are pretty clear that it (SGC, aliens, etc.) isn't going to stay secret for long but that the knowledge release will be managed in order to keep everyone from flipping their poo poo.

The population has been slowly prepared for the truth using Wormhole X-treme

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

SpeakSlow posted:

Phone watch. Dick Tracy WAY oversold the utility. I wonder if it tracked his sleep cycles too...

Video phones are a fun one since they were such a staple for so long right up until they became viable, and then it turns out they're more edge cases than anything.

That Simpsons future episode had probably some of the best video phone gags with Marge forgetting she's literally on camera.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Video phones are a fun one since they were such a staple for so long right up until they became viable, and then it turns out they're more edge cases than anything.

That Simpsons future episode had probably some of the best video phone gags with Marge forgetting she's literally on camera.

I think the issue came when everyone and everybody wanted to make their version of video conference that getting everyone to just use the same software and opening the correct million ports made everyone sick of it when Skype came around before the flood.

The only two that work today is Apple Facetime(because it comes with every drat Apple phone) and MS Teams for business because it comes with the Office 365 license.

Lest we forget the Skype cell phones like this one with a 176 x 220 screen and before 4g so you can behold the most artifacted conversation ever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Demolition Man had that bit right.

Like with all sci-fi, I think it tends to be more accidentally on the money in parody a lot because it's not trying to focus on how the technology works, it's focusing on how people interact with and use technology if they have the option.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like with all sci-fi, I think it tends to be more accidentally on the money in parody a lot because it's not trying to focus on how the technology works, it's focusing on how people interact with and use technology if they have the option.

Spoken like someone who doesn't know how to use the three seashells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That movie took some swings and a few hit well. Same as old books that just made up some poo poo and it later ended up becoming a thing. I agree that the focus on interaction over function does work out better. 'accidentally on the money' is pretty much the same as spam shooting and getting lucky sometimes. Demolition Man was an awesome movie anyways, it's just too bad everything isn't a Taco Bell now, or that rat burgers are easier to find.