Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You really would think that with replicators some enterprising young ensign would weave ballistic fibers and shock protection into their uniform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah Starship Troopers the movie is pretty king for bad tech-- if anything being stuck in the late 90s helps hammer home that the fascist government making the propaganda movie you're watching is all flash and no substance. Its ideas of futuristic luxury are a primitive iPad Johnny uses to make a .gif in History class, a giant scoreboard where all students are forced to broadcast their scores publicly for everyone else, and instead of instant video communication they have to literally mail each other pre-recorded minidiscs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And give a sense of "stakes" for the characters-- how will we know the crew is in trouble if the red and gold shirts aren't popping off?

This is also why the really bad Star Trek movies like Nemesis, and Into Darkness will force the villain to target Earth in the third act even though it makes absolutely no sense for them to bother and the stakes are plenty high without them. "The audience will care more because they recognize Earth :downs:." This is also one reason why Star Trek: Beyond kind-of owns by spending a good chunk of the first act establishing Yorktown as somewhere to give a gently caress about.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gundam Wing has the Tallgeese, the first Mobile Suit built, which is so high-performance it kept killing its test pilots. The Wing Zero in the same series might be one of the most powerful Gundams in the series and is even worse; it can drive its pilots mad and might have eaten one of them.
Gundam Wing always sounds so much cooler than it was.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The only gundam I know of that is depicted as just garbage that can't win a fight is this one.

Can't fight, but every year it makes it to the finals of the gundam tournament because nobody can find it when it's disguised as a windmill.
Is there a reason they can't just blow up all the windmills?

quote:

I liked how the Millenium Falcon was a piece of garbage in the movies. Luke poo poo-talks it at first sight, and it spends the bulk of Empire Strikes Back on cinderblocks with engine trouble. But then the EU considered it some kind of gold standard for a ship.
One of the small touches I liked in TFA was that Rey-- a total Star Wars fangirl-- didn't actually recognize the Millennium Falcon. The entire New Republic world was so poorly sketched in that movie as to be meaningless, but that one touch in isolate was nice.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like how part of the joke in Robocop is that not only is the ED-209 a piece of crap, Robocop himself is largely a piece of crap.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Khizan posted:

I have to go with stormtrooper armor, because it's clumsy full body armor that I don't think has ever stopped a single attack. I can't recall a single time in any of the movies or the Mandolorian when anybody every had to hit a stormtrooper twice, with anything. Blaster, club, rocks, doesn't matter, it won't protect against it.

For all the design flaws of the Stargate, at least it loving works. Stormtrooper armor is just a sign letting you know that you can kill the wearer without feeling bad about it.

The armor in the Starship Troopers movie does a better job of protecting the wearer. This is known.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's especially funny in the Mirror Universe episodes where suddenly DS9/Terak Nor is this awful hellpit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As opposed to what, exactly? Even by Terran standards humans have an extremely narrow band of environmental conditions they do well in.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even with DS9 Klingons that mostly checks out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Klingons cloak because at some point a script planned for the Romulans swapped in Klingons instead, and ever since, the Romulans never really could distinguish themselves because every attempt to define them got traded off to another species.
Well the Romulans did carve out a niche as "explicitly deceitful" but it's a very flimsy hat even in a franchise full of flimsy hats.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This looks loving terrible and I want to pee in the creator's mouths.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

galagazombie posted:

I'm pretty sure studio execs are much dumber than the majority of the population.
You'd think, but somehow they were the ones wondering why the script to Insurrection made no sense and was dumb bullshit. F'real.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rewatching some Doctor Who from 2005, the one with Simon Pegg on the giant Rupert Murdoch space station, and while it's intentionally lovely it bears mentioning-- the stupid little hole in a person's head that can be opened by custom audio key and routes light or some bullshit through it so it acts as a giant processor.

Some weird vid but it's the best footage I've got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsjMNkAUV4

I do like that the show intentionally makes the corpus callosum view look like an asscrack and that the dude who gets it ends up getting chumped, but drat is that some poo poo technology.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

There is a real functional reason to make the captain into a public figure on the ship though. He's the functional dictator of the ship and responsible for the safety of the ship and management of both the crew and passengers in the case of any emergency. You don't want an Oceanos situation where after something goes wrong, the captain and crew just use their own inside knowledge to get out first and it's left to a bunch of entertainers to keep panic from breaking out and organize the emergency response and evacuation.
Isn't that basically the conceit of Avenue 5? It's Oceanos/Lost in Space, with some Galaxy Quest/Three Amigos thrown in because that plot never, ever really gets old?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I picked up Starcraft 2 for the first time. I like it, it seems well done, an actual sequel to the original.

I have a dumb garbage tech observation, though. If you know the game one of the characters is Tychus the space marine, who's a convict sealed into space marine armor, which is like a tiny mech in that it's man-shaped but power-actuated. You see a lot of this guy in his suit. And it is making my brain itch. Maybe it's just the Warhammer-style shoulder-pads, but I swear the dude would have to have his arms permanently thrust out sideways , his forearms dangling down to make the proportions of that suit work.

That problem has to go back to Gundam, at the very least. Anthro mech suits at any scale for aesthetic vibes just don't make a lot of sense, especially at 1:1 movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah everything always ends up looking like SoCal :v: