Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

The dreadnaught was one of the ugliest ships in Star Wars, had one role that any star destroyer could perform better and was so badly armed that a small rag tag bomber squadron destroyed it

The thing I hate most about the dreadnought is there were interviews with the design team about how they were using real life battleships for inspiration, and then they produced something that looked like a slice of pizza instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Foxfire_ posted:

If I were trying to justify a Star Destroyer's numbers into making sense, I'd go with that they are primarily troop transport with a splash of point defense lasers and fighters. Their main intended role would be to park over rebellious planets and be a base for occupation and anti-insurgency. Size and endurance would be so you could have a base that's less bombable by locals than a ground base.

Agreed. The Empire had a near monopoly on capital ships and the Rebellion only had a few handfuls of proper warships, so most of their operational time can be expected to be spent showing the flag and reminding local system authorities who's in charge.

One of the legacy novels had a line about how the Empire built 25k of them. I have no idea how many systems the Empire controlled at its height in the EU but given how many stars are in a typical galaxy, it's possible that the ratio was dozens/hundreds (or more) systems per ISD, which makes sense in-character that they would be designed for long periods of self sufficiency for both supply and combat/peacekeeping.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Besides the whole TIE fighters = Zeros analogy, the superstructure of ISD's have a superficial resemblance to the pagodas of IJN battleships, and the officer caps are almost identical to the field caps that the IJN and IJA used.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Robot Style posted:

Looks like that's part of an ILM Artstation challenge, so is fan art as hell, but it's pretty clearly inspired by some actual concept art done for The Force Awakens:

As stupid as this concept is, it's at least distinctive. The end result was just a boring angular blob.

It's kind of amazing how the sequels dropped the ball on memorable ship designs. I think the only thing that stood out is Snoke's flagship, which does kind of neatly subvert the usual imperial aesthetic by going wide rather than long.