Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is there any article that goes into why that movie is so crummy? like i guess there's a quote by one of the actors that the original script he got was great, and then when he showed up he got handed a rewrite that was back-to-back dogshit. i'm sure the answer is "chris roberts" but i'm a sucker for behind-the-scenes drama and bullshit

It has been a while since I've read a deep dive on the subject, but from memory:

Ever since Wing Commander III, Chris Roberts had made it clear that he was far more fascinated with making movies than making games. One of the terms of his exit from EA and Origin was that his new company, Digital Anvil, would have the rights to co-produce a Wing Commander movie with Origin.

However, Roberts was completely unprepared for the realities of actual Hollywood moviemaking. A very heavy-handed producer, Todd Moyer, was assigned to the project by one of the companies that actually financed the movie, and Moyer brought in a complete neophyte screenwriter named Kevin Droney to rewrite the outline and treatment that Roberts had put together. Budget realities forced the production to shoot in Luxembourg on a horribly compressed schedule (something like a little over a month), and Digital Anvil--which was a PC developer, remember--had to work overtime to work on the visual effects, which were also handled by a horribly overworked team at Cinesite. The script was being rewritten during shooting and post-production was rushed to meet a release date, because they had a bonus coming from Fox to tie the movie's release with the Episode I trailer.

Basically, everything that could have gone wrong went wrong.

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Oof, that's rough.

One thing I'll give the production credit for is that, while the interior spaces are still pretty wide open by submarine spaces, it felt like there was at least a token effort to convey a more cramped, naval feel to the ship interiors. I'm doubly impressed if they were navigating that while under the gun on the shooting schedule.

Do you know if Roberts had intended to try and swing for getting the Wing Commander 3 and 4 casts for the movie and got overridden, or was it always the plan to go with a younger cast? I do remember thinking while watching the movie "was Malcolm McDowell really that much more expensive than David Warner? :v:"

The production designer on WC was the legendary Peter Lamont (Titanic, GoldenEye, Aliens), which is the primary reason the sets looked so goddamn good. He was a master at squeezing every single cent out of his budgets; for example, I believe it was Lamont's idea to use old Lightning fuselages for the Confed fighters, because they looked sufficiently high-tech and futuristic and were able to be rented out for next to nothing.

As for the cast, only Hamill was really targeted (and he originally had a larger role as Merlin, Blair's shipboard and portable AI, before Merlin became a voice-only role; Hamill still did the voice but went uncredited). As I recall, the script was always "Blair and Maniac's first mission," so there wasn't really room for the WC3/4 cast.

I think they might have approached McDowell but he was too busy with a bunch of DTV poo poo to get to Luxembourg. I'm sure he would have, though, since he's like Michaels Caine and Ironside in that he'll do just about anything for three hots and a cot.