Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Related to the lovely Gundam robots, in Robotech/Macross, they had the transforming Varitech fighters, that were, by and large, good.

But they also had non-transforming machines called Destroids that couldn't do poo poo. Like 5 models of them, some with massive lasers, others with artillery, one with nothing but a gently caress ton of missles...all useless.

Oh, Zentradi attacking? Yeah let's put 50 of those pieces of poo poo out there, maybe they'll blow up 1 loving pod before all getting destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

McSpanky posted:

Sure, it's just so extraordinarily wasteful. Someone decided it would be a good idea to pave/plow over whole star systems' native environments to support a living monument to bureaucratic self-congratulation, probably in the name of "progress".

Oh, I get it. Coruscant is Space Brasilia.

TBF, it's possible Coruscant was uninhabitable before it was turned into a giant city-planet.

Like, a Mars type planet, or worse.

OR, comedy option, it's an actual Hollow-World and the inside is a vast ecosystem full of plants and animals.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I've only seen the first few episodes of SG-1, so maybe someone can help me.

As was pointed out in that Stargate rant on page 1, when you dial a gate it send a weird death plume at the other end. Unless you just, like...put a rock in front of it? Ancient Egypt buried theirs so nothing could get through. I also remember the Stargate people saying in those first episodes that they have a ring that covers it up when not in use so no one can come through to murder us.

So how come SOMETIMES when you dial a gate, it will destroy anything in front of it, but other times a piece of loving tinfoil stops it?

And it's worth noting, in none of the episodes I saw does the team ever send a robot first, except like once. So how do they know they aren't all going to get smashed to nothing on the other end? Or maybe we're just supposed to know that anytime they go somewhere new, just assume they send a probe first off-screen?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 12, 2020

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

CainFortea posted:

"I don't have time to explain in 3 sentences what is going on, you just have to come with me"
3 days later
"aaaaa i'm dying before I can tell you what's up"

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

That's part of why I really like Babylon 5's interpretation of hyperspace.

It's a literal "other" area of space you travel in. You get to it via a jump gate or jump engine, but once you're in it, you travel via regular engines. Nothing in there can affect things in "normal" space and vice versa. They don't go full into a lot of details, cause that was never B5's thing, but you can communicate in/out of hyperspace, but that's about the limit. Any ship can go into/out of hyperspace with a jump gate, so even small fighters and transports can be IN hyperspace and not need to "dock" with a capitol ship to escape, though they can still get left behind if a ship closes the jump point early when escaping. You can also get lost in hyperspace and drift forever from the gravitation eddys if you lose you VERY important "find the jump gate beacon" thingy.

Most sensors don't travel between the barrier, so you can jump into an area you think is safe but WHOOPS, ambush and now you're dead.

Conversely, if you have a VERY good idea of where the enemy is, you can open a jump point in the middle of their fleet and gently caress them up, so being the faction that's planning the ambush can be very dangerous.

They also sometimes play around with fun things like,
"What if you open a jump point in an atmosphere?" or,
"What if you open a jump point with a jump engine inside an existing jump point made from a jump gate?"

Spoiler alert:
Pretty much always a "do never do", unless you're our protagonists, in which case your ship is awesome enough to do it and not blow up.