Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tulip posted:

Not scifi and also bleak as gently caress: some military commanders consider child soldiers better than adult soldiers, because they're less loyal to their civil community and therefore more loyal to the military, and are less likely to balk at dangerous orders (citation: Dancing in the Glory of Monsters chapter 10).

This is brought up in Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. The main characters' success at doing an impossible mission makes child soldiers the latest hot new military thing.

IIRC There's also a similar thing in the Universal Century, where after Amuro saves everyone's bacon people start talking about the Federation's "proud history of child soldiers" and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think Top Gun and various pilot media (including Star Wars) is a heavy influence on mecha and Gundam in particular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bhCMoMYXfo
Various people have commented on the connection with this in particular, to the point I had my pick of videos like this.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If you've got a brain/machine interface then a humanoid mech makes a lot of sense because your pilot will have a lot of instinctive control over the mech, once they learn its range of motion and weight. Just have the pilot sitting or curled up in the torso.

This is exactly how it works in Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. Certain units will also overdrive your nervous system to make sure your reaction speed can keep up with pure AI robots, which has uh side effects but is definitely better than the alternative.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

There's still no reason at all for the little arms to be exposed to anything at all if they're just being mimicked by the big arms rather than doing anything of their own. What if they get caught on something protruding from the cover and mashed or ripped?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Tulip posted:

The US doesn't even use autoloaders for tanks at this point.

That was also a huge debate in the mil history thread. Long story short there are good reasons that they didn’t do it in the past and we’re not sure if they’re still true.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Shwoo posted:

According to interviews, the reason they had to send people back in time to be killed was that everyone in the future was implanted with a microchip that would broadcast their location when they died, so killing them before there was anything to receive the broadcast was a way to bypass that. But I don't think that's even hinted at in the movie itself.

You would think a faraday cage would cost way less than a time machine. I assumed it was something way weirder.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Discovery at least represents more effort than a lot of the ship and fighter designs from the Star Wars sequels

That bar is like Kola Superdeep Borehole low.

My least favorite has to be the "get too close for no reason, bombs fall down in space" bomber from the opening of 8, although there a lot of choices.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Vernii posted:

The thing I hate most about the dreadnought is there were interviews with the design team about how they were using real life battleships for inspiration, and then they produced something that looked like a slice of pizza instead.

I feel like there's a 100% guarantee that there were at least 5 other, much better designs that were scrapped for whatever reason.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's literally a more simplified star destroyer, practically deconstructed into just a flat triangle with a rectangle on top, and the only feature they added is the GIANT HOLE in the middle begging for people to attack it.

I think the issue is also intensified by how the space scenes kinda just have bad cinematography so they don't convey as much scale or movement.

That's my thinking, that the ship was designed based around the "needs" of the cinematography rather than vice versa.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

It has one main turret on the bottom and like twenty anti-starfighter turrets on top. It is some 5km long and has about as many total guns as on of the more upgunned correlian corvettes.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Star Destroyers explicitly replace the old Venator class, which carried about 420 (ha) starfighters on a smaller frame. I assume the tradeoff is in endurance: the Venator goes out, fights, comes back, but the Imperial-class spends a long time on station doing oppression.

EDIT: Legends section of wookiepedia (lol at this sourcing) says an Imperial II class can support its crew of 37,000 (!!!) and 9,700 troops for six years (!!!!) vs the Venator's 7,400 crew and 2,000 troops for two years.

Although why they need six years of supply on hand when the main base is only a couple days away at most is uh a mystery.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 8, 2021

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Could have sworn I saw some ISDs exploding during Endor.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TIE fighters are already basically the Japanese A6M Zero, insanely maneuverable but if they take any damage at all you're probably hosed.

Although really that last aspect is more taken from the G4M "Betty" bomber, which had a bad habit of catching fire from minor damage.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably came up before, but there's some hints in the prequels, I think explicit in some of the fact books, that the TIE design is descended from Jedi starfighters, where the lack of defenses was a good enough tradeoff for making full use of the capabilities of a precognitive, superhuman pilot.

This just makes the connection even stronger, since the early war IJN pilot corps was the result of an insanely demanding and strict pilot training program that enabled them to get the most out of their extremely maneuverable deathtraps.

Then they ran out of those guys.

Then the "Great Marianas Turkey Shoot" happened.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lazy Fair posted:

I enjoy trying thinking about what the older movies tell us about the Star Wars "canon" before much of the canon we're familiar with was actually developed in the books and games of the expanded universe.

In his trench run Luke says "We're going in full throttle, that ought to keep those fighters off our backs!" but the TIEs don't seem to have any problem catching up, implying the TIE is much faster than the X-Wing and Luke as a greenhorn pilot doesn't recognize this.

It's also possible he doesn't think the TIE pilots have the nerve to do the trench run at full speed, but Vader is of course not impressed by that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Speed holes make everything worse.

There's one fan Star Destroyer design that uses the big speed hole to launch and recover starfighters while the outside of the hull covers the launch bays from the front and sides. It seems to be well-liked by people who care about Star Destroyer design on the internet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAVC-8tR7EY

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

Are there no private shipbuilders in the EU, or a Star Wars version of Anaheim Electronics that are either outside the Rebel/Imperial conflict or more likely just supply both sides anyway?

Corellia was absolutely this in the EU but now IDK.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

This season of anime got a decent submission for the pile in the Juggernauts from 86.

Officially, they're drones to fight a clean war. They're pretty lowest bidder for spider-tanks. Tin armor, 6 pound cannon rather than something beefy like a Rheinmetall Rh-120, and they tend to take serious damage when stressed, but hey. There's a price you pay for a 0 percent casualty rate.

Off the record, they're actually piloted by members of ethnic minorities who have been left outside the safety of the walled cities to die as human shields for the upper class.

Like the ATs from VOTOMs, they're mechs explicitly called out in the narrative as deathtrap pieces of poo poo, both to highlight the uncaring nature of command, and to show the skill (and superhuman abilities) of the protagonist in staying alive anyway.

That poo poo makes ATs look like Mazingers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I think in Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla they have the maser tanks get some wins in the opening credits? Like I think they show them killing the Gargantuas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Then in Star Trek Online you can order your Science Officer to spit out a greatest hits list of negative space wedgies that nearly killed the crew of the Enterprise onto whatever poor bastards you're there to defeat 20 times for a reward of some sort.

This is actually a fairly effective strategy, if kind of repetitive.