Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

Error 404 posted:

I'll preface this by saying maybe I'm just dumb but:

You can't transport through shields, thats star trek fact, an unbreakable rule (which has been broken but stay with me here)

You don't want full remote overrides because of all the hacks people it have even come up with.

But a friendly backdoor code, for those times a starfleet ship comes across another, floating derelict, not responding to hails, but they have shields up. Sensors aren't giving you anything because of nebula fuckery or whatever. You're going to want a way to board that friendly vessel to investigate or render aid.

So in that light, a remote override that only shuts off the shields makes sense to me idk.

They actually used the prefix code idea in TNG a few times; once it was a ship that had all the crew die of a disease that aged them to death (Picard used it to access the ship's computer for info remotely so they didn't go onboard and get killed the same way) and according to the wiki Picard actually handed prefix codes to the Cardassians to deal with the ship run by the guy O'Brian used to work with when he went rogue, though apparently that failed since the ship beat the Cardassians anyway and they had to have O'Brian talk the guy down. Suggests against a Starfleet crew able to actually respond it doesn't do much, but for ships too dangerous to board or hijacked by untrained people (even then Khan was yelling about finding the override in STII when the code was used, and obviously it couldn't be used the second time Enterprise and Reliant fought) it gives them an option to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

W.T. Fits posted:

Also, my vote for shittiest piece of garbage tech in science fiction goes to cyberbrains from Ghost in the Shell. Really, basically any kind of "we're going to implant a computer in your skull and wire it directly to your brain" technology. Because yes, let's absolutely directly link our brains to computers when we haven't even figured out how to make normal non-cybernetic computers completely safe from hacking/malicious software attacks. Don't worry, you'll be fine, there's absolutely no way someone will be able to just hack into your brain and force you to do things against your will by overriding control of your body or anything like that, especially in this setting where most of the population has some kind of cybernetic implants, be they limbs or organs or even entire replacement bodies! It's completely safe, you'll be fine, there's nothing at all to worry about!

Yeah, the movie’s demonstration of a “ghost hack” where every bit of some random person’s life could get dumped and overridden to turn them into an unwitting agent for someone put me firmly in the non-adopter category for that kind of tech, even before we saw the gentleman whose symbol you posted censor reality on the fly (even if I could do with being able to render several people in real life effectively mute and invisible that way).

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still like the idea in the Battletech thread of the next step for the setting being the Thirty Years War with giant robots.

They do have a lot of mercenaries running around I suppose, and the clothing aesthetics would probably be an improvement over the original artwork designs.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

Buttchocks posted:

Aphrodite's boob rockets from Tranzor Z. Just the idea that somewhere there's a warehouse full of bespoke boob-shaped rockets that had to be designed by a team of aerospace PhD's who then handed the design off to a military contractor to build, and then a designated ground crew has to constantly reload the robot by shoving rockets into it's boob holes. Lotta people questioning their career choices, I'd wager.

God, I remember watching that show when I was VERY young and had to get up ridiculously early on Saturday to watch it, and even then it struck me as utterly terrible to be able to fire a grand total of two shots in a fight. Granted now I've grown up enough to be aware that yes, mad scientists are dumb enough to make a terrible weapon simply in the name of horny, so this was probably a disturbingly realistic design choice.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

Also I'm pretty sure they didn't really do transporters between points inside the ship until Next Gen, remember them making a big deal about it in that series.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

Asterite34 posted:

Wasn't there some theory that the big catastrophe that wrecked the Klingons' moon and was the inciting incident for the plot of Star Trek VI was them screwing around with reverse-engineering Genesis and loving up Chernobyl style?

Praxis exploding was due to overmining according to the STVI dialogue; only official(ish) explanation for why they overmined I ever saw was the game Klingon Academy suggesting it was in response to losing their only other major dilithium source thanks to Yet Another Civil War. As canon as any video game, but given it was a pretty good story (AND they got Christopher Plummer to reprise his role as Chang to boot) I like to accept it anyway. Though while we're on the subject of Genesis, in the starting storyline of the game (where you're a Klingon at an elite captain's academy gaming out a war with the Federation as designed by Chang) the fake Federation war got ended by the Klingons hitting Earth with a Genesis device, which was pretty funny especially as it just destroyed the planet rather than remaking it; kind of shows how much the Klingons understood it beyond "scary Federation science!". Though after that fun experience slaughtering Starfleet you went into the aforementioned civil war slaughtering fellow Klingons, which goes to show where the real threat was.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

Nebakenezzer posted:

This is low hanging fruit as it is from the Alien series, but:

In Alien Isolation, the space station Servestapol has a central intelligence mainframe called Apollo, which runs a fair bit of the station. It also has a small army of cheap androids, called Working Joes which it controls. The Working Joes are about as smart and as articulate as a roomba. But here's the garbage tech part: Apollo locks its communications chamber off from everyone, and then the *only way* to communicate with it is via a Working Joe, which has to insert itself into a CAT scanner like device.

Of course, once you are in the comm chamber, Apollo speaks via text.

I appreciate the fact Apollo and the Working Joes are in-universe supposed to be garbage tech, in particular thanks to cost cutting idiocy. One gets the impression Weyland-Yutani did not need to do much to make Apollo go "feed all humans to the Aliens", it probably would have done so even if it wasn't programmed to (hell, maybe even if you programmed it to protect the humans - "if I kill all the potential hosts, the Aliens won't be around to be a problem!").

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

Slashrat posted:

This isn't garbage tech part of it for me. The following is.

Apollo is pretty much an inseparable part of the station that the local management of the owning corporation have been trying to sell. They finally manage to sell it and immediately give the new owners full access to remotely upload their own confidential instructions to Apollo over the space internet, while still living on said space station.

The instructions? "Lock yourself off. Kill any and all humans on the station trying to harm the aliens that are hunting them."

Maybe more garbage tech literacy than actual garbage tech?

Oh like THAT doesn't fit the level of typical corporate executive thinking. Hell, if they had thought ahead to realize Weyland Yutani could kill them with Apollo that way, it would have been MORE unrealistic really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Can I come out and play?

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah IIRC the New Republic strongarmed him into using it as a decoy and he went along on the condition they paint it bright red so they couldn't do it again. And it's constantly breaking down because he's running it with a skeleton crew, which produced a thread-relevant moment where another character quips that "back during the war, I had an Alliance engineer tell me a Star Destroyer was nothing more that two hundred thousand design flaws, waiting to be exploited."

That was actually a line from the West End Star Wars RPG as I recall. I did get a kick out of the fact the RPG wrote up the Alliance as full of all these groups of lunatics/geniuses who were coming up with all these cunning schemes to steal Star Destroyers and various other Imperial ships/weapons and using them to create unbelievable chaos for the Empire (i.e. your average Star Wars PC group) and Alliance Command basically just learned to roll with it because they got results even if trying to organize them made herding cats look easy.